Lion King at the Sunderland Empire

Don't think I could go to Paris for Disneyland after going to Florida
We took the kids to Disneyland Paris a few years back and they were owa the moon to meet Mini Mouse and Pluto on their walkabouts.
A while later we saw the two of them with their heads off sharing a tab next to the bogs which spoilt the illusion a bit. Couldn't imagine the yanks being as unprofessional.

Mrs and the youth went last night, absolutely loved it. Seemed to come out with every single piece of merchandise available, must make a killing.

Also, He Lives In You is a banger.

Last edited:
Went to see it last week. tbh it's not really for me. It's a good spectacle with great visuals, but I just find the story a bit boring. Literally everyone around me had a great time though, so don't let me being a miserable twat influence your decision about going.

On a technical note, obviously Sunderland and Newcastle have their big theatres, but the biggest advantage Sunderland has is that the stage goes much deeper than Newcastle, and as The Lion King needs the depth it never goes to Newcastle (which is a slightly more comfortable theatre in terms of seating/space imo).

It's great that the theatre is still popular, I love going.

Went to see it last week. tbh it's not really for me. It's a good spectacle with great visuals, but I just find the story a bit boring. Literally everyone around me had a great time though, so don't let me being a miserable twat influence your decision about going.

On a technical note, obviously Sunderland and Newcastle have their big theatres, but the biggest advantage Sunderland has is that the stage goes much deeper than Newcastle, and as The Lion King needs the depth it never goes to Newcastle (which is a slightly more comfortable theatre in terms of seating/space imo).

It's great that the theatre is still popular, I love going.
Think it’s to do with the backstage height, hence the tin extension thing you can see from the outside. Sunderland is the only theatre in the area that can host a west end show. The Empire & it’s shows are genuinely one of the only things that will get people from Newcastle off their arses & to Sunderland.

I was the same, absolutely bored to tears and willing it to end, but the family absolutely loved it, as did everyone else in there so I'm clearly the problem :D

Went last nite to see the Lion King it was fantastic. The special effects are really good and your in for a surprise if your seat is the end of the aisle in the stalls. Fabulous show from start to finish.

Think it’s to do with the backstage height, hence the tin extension thing you can see from the outside. Sunderland is the only theatre in the area that can host a west end show. The Empire & it’s shows are genuinely one of the only things that will get people from Newcastle off their arses & to Sunderland.

It's the only theatre than can host the more technical west end shows. We had a family friend who was in Kinky Boots at Newcastle Theatre Royal last year when it was touring.

Back