Latest boxing crack

For some reason I do generally prefer Warren, probably because of the underdog mentality, but yes, regular BT has largely been poor this year after a very promising 2017 and they have now seen the low PPV bar and want a piece of the pie. At least we did get Selby vs Warrington - that would definitely be PPV now I reckon.

Back in the day you'd get a world title on most regular Sky shows (like Bellew, Brook, Quigg, Crolla, Barker, Burns, Frampton etc.) and often a meaningful final eliminator as chief support. Like you'd have the Quigg-Crolla Manchester double headers with a couple of 50/50 British title fights further down the card, or Brook in a world title defence with Rose-Maciel final eliminator as chief support or Lee Selby in a decent fight (before his world title) flanking a bigger name in a big fight. There's just not the fighters in Hearn's stable now like Rendall Munroe, John Murray, Gary Buckland, Martin Lindsay, Brian Rose, Lee Purdy then even those English title level southern lads like Boylan, Camacho, Goodjohn, Tommy Martin, Cassius Connor etc. the latter fighters were all pretty limited and around the same level but could provide a good 50/50 scrap, but crucially be 3rd or 4th down the card, those who could come again if they lost. Now it's just tune ups for Whyte, Khan and Brook as headliners on regular Sky, just promoting them for an inevitable PPV and the rest of the card is filled up with 1/100 tune up shite for the A side, most of them Olympic prospects.

People are looking forward to Foot-Davies on this Newcastle show and it's a good fight, but back in the day, just 3 years ago, you had Quigg-Martinez, Crolla-Perez, Nurse-Jenkins, Eggington-Foot all on the same card, not on PPV. Or a Bellew world title defense, Campbell-Matthews, Burnett-Farrag, Dodd-Patera, not on PPV - Patera is headlining a card up here 2 years later having lost 2 of his last 5 fights FFS. Even those Ricky Burns Scotland world title nights were decent where he'd always be in a good fight and then you'd have the likes of Simpson, Brophy and Simmons in well matched fights supporting the card. It really is sickening this move towards PPV across all the networks resulting in much weaker regular shows and it has put me off the sport. Look at the difference between these 2 big arena, non PPV shows:

BoxRec: Event
BoxRec: Event

Or this one as @TheBronzeBummer says - BoxRec: Event

I also see Hearn has no problem putting these English lads like Coyle, Tennyson, Galahad, Big Twinny Gav, Johnson etc. on his American cards and some of his upcoming DAZN shows look decent, but they are on at 3/4am UK time which is not great and it just massively weakens his home shows as a result.

Looking back I can’t believe that Quigg vs Martinez card, unreal. Remember it being great too apart from Eggington beating Foot.

This is spot on though, he’s saving the likes of Okolie, Kelly, Buatsi for his PPV shows when they could be in competitive fights on non-PPV fight nights, getting more noticed and giving everyone their money’s worth. I’m absolutely astounded that my prediction of boxing getting better has come to this.

The Khan show in Liverpool wasn’t tolerable, it was drastic. I’d understand the undercard if it was Khan vs Broner.

This belief that everything has to be PPV is pure greed. For me he could have put Usyk vs Bellew on normal TV with a shite undercard because that would sell out anywhere in Liverpool.

I still think despite Hearn’s dross that he isn’t really being tested by Warren and co. as of yet. His matchmaking of Dubois and Yarde is so obvious! He fears losing them to a defeat. Barring those two and his loose cannons Billy Joe and Tyson, he only really has Warrington and Frampton, and one of those could be out of the picture a while come December. If Frank wants to do what he keeps saying Hearn isn’t doing, he’ll sign the likes of Degale and the Selby’s to deals on BT.

The whole reason the interest in boxing died down in the first place was the overemphasis on the ppv fights. No lads/lasses were been pushed on normal tv, even sky (besides fury on channel 5 unless I’m remembering it wrong) like what happened on the old days of itv so no one got a following. Then Hearn got Joshua signed and flogged him for all his worth :lol: rest is history

Yeah, Warren did like a good PPV back in the day and we obviously had the shite Haye-Harrison fight in 2010 and the non event of Wlad-Haye a year later and that was what kind of killed it and from early 2012 when Hearn really came on the scene and got the exclusive Sky deal until about 2016 we had some really good cards and around 20 Saturday Fight Nights a year (there's been literally 6 thus far in 2018). We even had the much feared world champ Bute coming over to England not on PPV to fight Froch - there was the odd PPV like Froch-Kessler the following year which you could kind of let go and then until AJ came on the scene, we'd get 1 or 2 a year (mainly Froch) which you could put up with.

It really is Joshua and the 'he's PPV against anyone' and of course, if he can do 500k buys for bog standard fights against Breazule or Molina then of course he's going to be on PPV, why would he want to earn say 200k when he could be making 4 or 5m (and much more now), but it's when his left overs like Whyte and Parker start seeing this PPV money as the B side and they too want to be part of the party and don't want to go back to normal Sky - having Whyte-Parker on PPV about 3 months after the latter did fuck all for 12 rounds against AJ was a right kick in the teeth and a massive part of the problem.

Without exaggerating, there literally could be 15 PPVs this year in the UK, we've had 3 in 13 days last month and if the rumours are correct, we could actually get 2 on the same night in December :eek::lol: - that's obscene and surely it's going to come to a sad end again if/when this bubble bursts. Who in their right mind would want to pay an extra £250-300 on top of already expensive sports subscriptions?

Yeah, Warren did like a good PPV back in the day and we obviously had the shite Haye-Harrison fight in 2010 and the non event of Wlad-Haye a year later and that was what kind of killed it and from early 2012 when Hearn really came on the scene and got the exclusive Sky deal until about 2016 we had some really good cards and around 20 Saturday Fight Nights a year (there's been literally 6 thus far in 2018). We even had the much feared world champ Bute coming over to England not on PPV to fight Froch - there was the odd PPV like Froch-Kessler the following year which you could kind of let go and then until AJ came on the scene, we'd get 1 or 2 a year (mainly Froch) which you could put up with.

It really is Joshua and the 'he's PPV against anyone' and of course, if he can do 500k buys for bog standard fights against Breazule or Molina then of course he's going to be on PPV, why would he want to earn say 200k when he could be making 4 or 5m (and much more now), but it's when his left overs like Whyte and Parker start seeing this PPV money as the B side and they too want to be part of the party and don't want to go back to normal Sky - having Whyte-Parker on PPV about 3 months after the latter did fuck all for 12 rounds against AJ was a right kick in the teeth and a massive part of the problem.

Without exaggerating, there literally could be 15 PPVs this year in the UK, we've had 3 in 13 days last month and if the rumours are correct, we could actually get 2 on the same night in December :eek::lol: - that's obscene and surely it's going to come to a sad end again if/when this bubble bursts. Who in their right mind would want to pay an extra £250-300 on top of already expensive sports subscriptions?

Bt should really utilise boxnation properly if their box office is going to work long term. Totally agree with you though, hearns pushing the ‘don’t believe in ppv’ for his streaming service over America but here he’s shameless with it. Chisora whyte ppv my arse(you just know he’s going to do it) :lol:

Looking back I can’t believe that Quigg vs Martinez card, unreal. Remember it being great too apart from Eggington beating Foot.

This is spot on though, he’s saving the likes of Okolie, Kelly, Buatsi for his PPV shows when they could be in competitive fights on non-PPV fight nights, getting more noticed and giving everyone their money’s worth. I’m absolutely astounded that my prediction of boxing getting better has come to this.

The Khan show in Liverpool wasn’t tolerable, it was drastic. I’d understand the undercard if it was Khan vs Broner.

This belief that everything has to be PPV is pure greed. For me he could have put Usyk vs Bellew on normal TV with a shite undercard because that would sell out anywhere in Liverpool.

I still think despite Hearn’s dross that he isn’t really being tested by Warren and co. as of yet. His matchmaking of Dubois and Yarde is so obvious! He fears losing them to a defeat. Barring those two and his loose cannons Billy Joe and Tyson, he only really has Warrington and Frampton, and one of those could be out of the picture a while come December. If Frank wants to do what he keeps saying Hearn isn’t doing, he’ll sign the likes of Degale and the Selby’s to deals on BT.

Aye, to be fair, that Quigg card wasn't your typical regular show and was an amazing card, but other shows were pretty decent as well, like that Bellew Liverpool one, but these days they really are pathetic. You certainly wouldn't get anywhere near that Manchester card on normal Sky these days. That Foot-Eggington fight was better than this Davies Jr fight - I know this one is being billed as a last chance saloon for Foot and is an important fight, but back then he was 15-0, had just won Prizefighter and it really was 50/50 with the bookies vs Eggington (both 10/11) and there was a genuine sense that if he could get past Sam then who knows how far he could go, there was a real intrigue about him - I was looking forward to that fight as much as the 2 world title co features later on. It obviously didn't go how we'd hoped and was ultimately a bit one sided, but the card on paper and largely in reality was class.

I see Warren going the same way as Hearn imo. Fury beats Wilder on December 1st and he will be PPV whoever he fights. I dread to think what kind of undercards we will have for Fury/Wilder and Frampton/Warrington. I’ve personally gone away from paying the PPV, even fighter that I used to really go out my way to pay for and watch. I now just try and stream it. It’s all gone a bit sad in the sense of PPV is now based on the fighter main eventing not the main event fight itself, Hearn would literally put AJ on PPV is he was fighting me and I’m 12 stone piss wet through.

I literally don’t give a fuck. It makes me smile :) and fury at times pulls a few corkers out

All fake.
Decent publicity going on to stir up the interest
Not sure it’s needed as Fury will pull them anyway as he is an enigma
Either want him to get sparked or you appreciate his skill.

These are actually friends in this circle.

Fair play to both rather that the shithouse Joshua who is avoiding any fight to swell his and Hearns pockets.

All fake.

Fair play to both rather that the shithouse Joshua who is avoiding any fight to swell his and Hearns pockets.

Wlad, Povetkin and Whyte to a lesser extent can't be classed as 'avoiding'
I'm not Joshuas biggest fan but its all politics........A fight with Fury or Wilder will happen next year....nailed on.

Twitter

Wilder & Fury going at it again at the presser.

Real or fake hatred - What you think?

Fake boring and staged, Tyson challenging him to have a spar and risk injury and the fight is like Katie Price challenging Mensa to give her w membership !

Stupid in your face pushing and shoving and mentioning Joshua at every oppurtioniry while saying they are the two biggest heavyweights !

Laughable

Wlad, Povetkin and Whyte to a lesser extent can't be classed as 'avoiding'
I'm not Joshuas biggest fan but its all politics........A fight with Fury or Wilder will happen next year....nailed on.
All fake.

Avoiding any fight ? Wilder and Fury have fought one too 5 ranked opponent each in their careers totalling nearly 79 fights ......

Fury taking this bloke to cleaners in press conferences mind :lol:
It’s fickinh brilliant. Loving it.

About 5 went flying when it kicked off before.

Bit of pantomime , aye, but fury is winding him up there like :):)

Avoiding any fight ? Wilder and Fury have fought one too 5 ranked opponent each in their careers totalling nearly 79 fights ......
Fury schooling the 11 year unbeaten wlad who gave aj life and death ( btw same bloke that schooled povetkin) is and will be the best win By a country mile until aj team face Fury or wilder if he beats fury.

Last edited:

Back