Laminate Flooring?

Anyone got any experience with this stuff nowadays?

I always hated it when it first became popular, but people insist that the modern stuff is great and a good replacement for solid wood flooring.
I've got a huge amount to buy, so paying 1/3 the price of solid oak really appeals to me.

Any suggestions of thicknesses that won't feel flimsy or move underfoot - I fitted some to a guest room around 2006 and it looked ok, but still felt like it wasn't "solid".

And tips for underlay? Still just that ~2mm foam stuff?
Stick on vinyl tiles are far better....

Modern laminate is spot on, piece of piss to fit too. if you go for decent stuff. Got 12mm fitted in mine all through the ground floor. Paid extra for the waterproof stuff and its spot on. Make sure your floor is spot on mind or it can drop. Used 5mm foam underlay squares to and it works well. Take the skirting off before you lay it, dont use the beading as it looks shit.
Anyone got any experience with this stuff nowadays?

I always hated it when it first became popular, but people insist that the modern stuff is great and a good replacement for solid wood flooring.
I've got a huge amount to buy, so paying 1/3 the price of solid oak really appeals to me.

Any suggestions of thicknesses that won't feel flimsy or move underfoot - I fitted some to a guest room around 2006 and it looked ok, but still felt like it wasn't "solid".

And tips for underlay? Still just that ~2mm foam stuff?

Just had a quick look and you can get it for £28 sqm online. Bartrams will be reasonable for it I reckon.

We got Karndean fitted in our bathroom and en suite by Bartrams and delighted with their quality of workmanship and service provided and would definitely use them again

Modern laminate is spot on, piece of piss to fit too. if you go for decent stuff. Got 12mm fitted in mine all through the ground floor. Paid extra for the waterproof stuff and its spot on. Make sure your floor is spot on mind or it can drop. Used 5mm foam underlay squares to and it works well. Take the skirting off before you lay it, dont use the beading as it looks shit.
Good luck with the ‘waterproof’ laminate! There’s zero chance of me fitting it anywhere near water.

That's one of the issues at the moment - can't really be going out and about looking in shops.
Really need a place I can buy online and trust.
We were recommended them as/before they opened their place on Team Valley.
Dropped a few samples off at ours for a few days when he came to measure up so we could see them in different lights but wasn't pushing us to choose their stuff, at the time was happy with just fitting if that's what we wanted but we chose their stuff in the end. It looks & feels good.

It's called Lvt click mate. Luxury vinyl tiles.
Huge choice. Pisseasy to lay, 100% waterproof. Only 4mm thick. Great for bathrooms or kitchens. The best on the market is Livyn.
Can you point me in the direction for that stuff?
Only ever really heard of one LVT brand, and it was about £150/sqm which is bonkers when solid oak is about £70

Edit: That was Karndean

That's one of the issues at the moment - can't really be going out and about looking in shops.
Really need a place I can buy online and trust.
Lvt click is the answer mate.

Last edited:
You in the trade? fitting? Supplying?
No just a victim!

We had laminate from Howden’s laid in 2012 in a hallway, study, kitchen, small utility and downstairs toilet. We had leaks in toilet and kitchen. We relaid with plywood and vinyl in the toilet.

I think that the ‘waterproof’ laminate has to be glued together to make more of a seal, but ours wasn’t.

When there was a leak in the kitchen we were lucky because there was a edging strip that I could take up to replace the damaged section.

We have probably got some value for money from it over 8/9 years so we’re going for vinyl planks/tiles after we have some of the floor levelled.

Loads of vinyls now that are far better than having tiles.. and many can look like wood, or laminate
We have it from the front door through the hall and into the kitchen. Designed the layout and pattern, to match the rooms so it flows right through. Included a feature compass in the porch. It makes it unique to your house.

We used the Sunderland Carpet Centre in Fulwell, a good local family business, great quality and service.

Bought an off-plan place last year, key handover is today, haven't seen it in person yet but I chose laminate flooring over carpet just for a change.
Logon or register to see this image
I think that’s the walnut stuff that was in here when we moved in, made the place very dark and small. Ripped it up 😉and replaced it with Engineered Boards. Used it upstairs in the spare bedrooms instead. Tight norvern bastard that I am.

What underlay do you suggest? I've seen the concertina stuff that seems to be recommended by diall, that any good?
Not sure about the name, but you will often be offered 3 options. The top one is great, eg gold on top with a serrated rubber type underside. Basically a good underlay will make your floor feel twice as luxurious (and soundproof and warmer) than a thin one.

Back