Laminate Flooring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Any good online laminate websites?

Don't think I'll got LVT, I need to fit this myself, as its the full lower floor. Seems like LVT need to be done by an approved professional (or no guarentee) and has to be left for up to 2 days before and after, which will be daft money when I get can get a joiner for £150/d and have it done in 2 days - and we can arrange to move furniture etc as we go. Or even fit it myself - the click stuff is a doddle really.

@PTR - as said above Karndean is I think the leading product for vinyl. A mate fits it. I've bought some for my girls room and he reckons it's spot on too - Kahrs is the brand. I'm very happy with it anyway. I got it from A Wood Idea though Blaydon. Good price and was a great service but then they said they couldn't fulfil the order and some would be with just after the new year. Still waiting.
Any good online laminate websites?

Don't think I'll got LVT, I need to fit this myself, as its the full lower floor. Seems like LVT need to be done by an approved professional (or no guarentee) and has to be left for up to 2 days before and after, which will be daft money when I get can get a joiner for £150/d and have it done in 2 days - and we can arrange to move furniture etc as we go. Or even fit it myself - the click stuff is a doddle really.
With any flooring you should allow it to acclimatise indoors before fitting. But I used the vinyl click and that went down no bother. Assume it's the glue stuff needs 2 days after laying.

Last edited:
Reactions: PTR
With any flooring you should allow it to acclimatise indoors before fitting. But I used the vinyl click and that went down no bother. Assume it's the glue stuff needs 2 days after laying.
Yeah, 2 days or so beforehand, with the packaging opened up to get it to the same humidity level that your house is, and it'll expand accordingly.

Looks like you cant put weight on glue-fit LVT for at least a day though. So if I do my whole ground floor, where do I move everything to ?
My plan is to clear half the L-shaped living room, fit that, then plonk everything on that half while I do the other. Seems that's not ok with LVT.

@PTR - as said above Karndean is I think the leading product for vinyl. A mate fits it. I've bought some for my girls room and he reckons it's spot on too - Kahrs is the brand. I'm very happy with it anyway. I got it from A Wood Idea though Blaydon. Good price and was a great service but then they said they couldn't fulfil the order and some would be with just after the new year. Still waiting.

Brexit is delaying loads at the ports. I’ve got some stuff held at Heathrow that’s come in from Belgium that I am trying to get released.

Can you point me in the direction for that stuff?
Only ever really heard of one LVT brand, and it was about £150/sqm which is bonkers when solid oak is about £70

Edit: That was Karndean

That's one of the issues at the moment - can't really be going out and about looking in shops.
Really need a place I can buy online and trust.
My Karndean was about £40 per sqm. If you are local have a look in Flooring Works in Hebburn . They have all sorts of flooring to suit any budget and are extremely knowledgeable on each product .The couple who own it are spot on.

My Karndean was about £40 per sqm. If you are local have a look in Flooring Works in Hebburn . They have all sorts of flooring to suit any budget and are extremely knowledgeable on each product .The couple who own it are spot on.
I assume that's £40 before fitting?

That would be about £2000 give or take. But add another 50-100% for fitting and it starts to be a bit expensive for a floor when you've got 3 young kids who are going to be pretty hard on it.

I don't usually fancy laminate, but I'm thinking "cheap now, then replace". Or solid floor now, and sand it when they're teenagers!

Last edited:

That would be about £2000 give or take. But add another 50-100% for fitting and it starts to be a bit expensive for a floor when you've got 3 young kids who are going to be pretty hard on it.

I don't usually fancy laminate, but I'm thinking "cheap now, then replace". Or solid floor now, and sand it when they're teenagers!
Karndeans not cheap but it’s extremely hard wearing . That company also have a wide range of cheaper laminates as well. Like I say , if your local have a look in and they will give you some good advice .

Karndeans not cheap but it’s extremely hard wearing . That company also have a wide range of cheaper laminates as well. Like I say , if your local have a look in and they will give you some good advice .
I don't think anywere is open at the moment is it?

I've got three kids and they haven't managed to damage my laminate yet.

Probably about right. I hate the beading like, worst thing about laminate flooring
It’s shite (as is laminate tbh)

If you can’t get the skirtings off for some reason go for a white bead or scotia that will look part of the skirting board.

wood bead against the skirting is rough as fuck.

Best place I found was Leader Floors - The #1 UK Flooring Retailer price match anywhere on the net for flooring. Underlay was cheaper at Screwfix as was the beading, If you have to have beading go for white the same as your skirting and then paint so it appears to be part of the skirting.
Am I missing something about how cheap this is?

Yeah, I'll need to put some 3/6mm ply over my floorboards and then a LTV underlay, but that's quick to fit myself, then I literally just click this stuff into place. Seems like I'm missing something.
It’s shite (as is laminate tbh)
If you can’t get the skirtings off for some reason go for a white bead or scotia that will look part of the skirting board.
wood bead against the skirting is rough as fuck.
I'm replacing all the skirting, so that's not a problem.
This stuff:
Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:

It’s about £110m2 supplied and fitted.
Am I missing something about how cheap this is?

Yeah, I'll need to put some 3/6mm ply over my floorboards and then a LTV underlay, but that's quick to fit myself, then I literally just click this stuff into place. Seems like I'm missing something.

I'm replacing all the skirting, so that's not a problem.
This stuff:
Logon or register to see this image
Spot on

You could get high quality waterproof flooring and a good thick underlay for a lot less than real wood. Usually the better the quality floor, the easier it is to click fit, and with four grooves it gives it more character. If you skimp on the underlay the floor won’t feel as luxurious.

There are a few places on industrial estates like Armstrong in Washington, although I’m not sure if they will be open at the moment. It would be best to take a good look around to help decide.

You could get high quality waterproof flooring and a good thick underlay for a lot less than real wood. Usually the better the quality floor, the easier it is to click fit, and with four grooves it gives it more character. If you skimp on the underlay the floor won’t feel as luxurious.

There are a few places on industrial estates like Armstrong in Washington, although I’m not sure if they will be open at the moment. It would be best to take a good look around to help decide.
What underlay do you suggest? I've seen the concertina stuff that seems to be recommended by diall, that any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back