Laminate Flooring?

PTR

Striker
Anyone got any experience with this stuff nowadays?

I always hated it when it first became popular, but people insist that the modern stuff is great and a good replacement for solid wood flooring.
I've got a huge amount to buy, so paying 1/3 the price of solid oak really appeals to me.

Any suggestions of thicknesses that won't feel flimsy or move underfoot - I fitted some to a guest room around 2006 and it looked ok, but still felt like it wasn't "solid".

And tips for underlay? Still just that ~2mm foam stuff?

Engineered is probably the middle ground.
I've got some for my bedroom. Really nice stuff actually but done it in a herringbone so a bit of a pain in the arse to put down. As would any type mind. Seems really good quality and will take a couple of sands. Being low traffic it should last for years to come.

I prefer vinyl over laminate mind. I'll probably use that for the open-plan extension when I come to do that. Harder wearing for heavy traffic areas. Bit softer under foot.

Sounds like it’ll be bouncy under foot.
We bought a house in 2009 and when we moved in the laminate flooring in the living room just didn’t feel “right” and we had t noticed when we first moved in. Friends of ours came to visit and the husband is a carpet fitter. He took one step on the floor and said “that’s been laid on carpet”. We decorated the living room 9 months later and, right enough, it has been laid over carpet.

Previous owner had cut so many corners with her decorating it was unreal - the rawl plugs behind the fitted wardrobes were held in with what looked like chewing gum (hole had been drilled too big and this is what was plugging the home). The joiner who fitted the new ones confirmed that it was, in fact, chewing gum.

We bought a house in 2009 and when we moved in the laminate flooring in the living room just didn’t feel “right” and we had t noticed when we first moved in. Friends of ours came to visit and the husband is a carpet fitter. He took one step on the floor and said “that’s been laid on carpet”. We decorated the living room 9 months later and, right enough, it has been laid over carpet.

Previous owner had cut so many corners with her decorating it was unreal - the rawl plugs behind the fitted wardrobes were held in with what looked like chewing gum (hole had been drilled too big and this is what was plugging the home). The joiner who fitted the new ones confirmed that it was, in fact, chewing gum.
My ground floor has a right mish mash. I’ll be sorting it soon. Carpet over laminate in the sitting room. Half one flooring and half another through the kitchen / dining room. I’ve laid a different floor as a work around in another room and then the bathroom is different again.

It stresses me out a bit.

3m x 3m bedroom been quoted £270 fitted. Underlay + beeding. Does that sound decent? Harbour Oak 12mm

I've got some for my bedroom. Really nice stuff actually but done it in a herringbone so a bit of a pain in the arse to put down. As would any type mind. Seems really good quality and will take a couple of sands. Being low traffic it should last for years to come.

I prefer vinyl over laminate mind. I'll probably use that for the open-plan extension when I come to do that. Harder wearing for heavy traffic areas. Bit softer under foot.
Can you point me in the direction for that stuff?
Only ever really heard of one LVT brand, and it was about £150/sqm which is bonkers when solid oak is about £70

Edit: That was Karndean

Recommendation for DNA Flooring on the Team Valley.

They told us we could choose another floor (e.g. Franks) and they'd fit it for less, or choose one of theirs.
We chose theirs and happy with it.
That's one of the issues at the moment - can't really be going out and about looking in shops.
Really need a place I can buy online and trust.

Last edited:

Back