Lack of transfers concerning?

A convincing start would be persuading O'Nien and Hume to stay, maybe Mcgeady too.

That would be brilliant but I think O'Nien is unfortunately gone, I'd put McGeady at 50/50, I reckon he will stay unless there's a can't-say-no offer on the table financially from America/Dubai/Australia etc.

I think Hume is likely to stay as his injuries will have put doubts in some club's mind about offering him a 3 year deal as is common in the championship, he hasn't played enough or shown enough to get a starting place in a champ team as yet.

Happens every season

Linked with several players over the past 4 seasons whom most have gone on to better things

Garbutt
Clarke Harris
Toney
Demetri Mitchell
Lyle Taylor
Mo eisa

To name a few
did you really think we would get toney ? we aint spent in 2 seasons what he went for .garbutt we offered but dithered ,eisa up for sale or free now and taylor come up but didnt really want to come this far up.

That would be brilliant but I think O'Nien is unfortunately gone, I'd put McGeady at 50/50, I reckon he will stay unless there's a can't-say-no offer on the table financially from America/Dubai/Australia etc.

I think Hume is likely to stay as his injuries will have put doubts in some club's mind about offering him a 3 year deal as is common in the championship, he hasn't played enough or shown enough to get a starting place in a champ team as yet.
Gutted about O'nien, he would currently be first choice Right Back, Centre Half and Midfield (no doubt whatsoever he is a better player than Dobson and Winchester). Hume needs to stay fit and improve as a defender and final ball/decision making, being in a settled back 4 and a side that played the same formation and game plan would help like, think he's got the ability.

You're probably right mate but hey this is Sunderland we are talking about, when did they last give us Party Time! If some of us are entrenched in the default position of it's going to be shite again isn't it only tangible evidence to the contrary that will budge us. Like Boris I'm a time served season ticket holder and will be back in August roaring them on.

I know for a lot of supporters its default mode to fear the worst. I am a happy clapper who will be not be a very happy clapper if we get this wrong, but give them a chance

Concerning- always, but also understandable given decent chunks of potential budget is on hold till the contracts deadline and we know who is staying or leaving.

as always with this level things will start moving at the end of this month when contracts end.
And we never learn from it seemingly.

Learn from what?

We bring players in early often, we bring them in mid close season and late close season.

What we don't often do and which is key is bring the right ones in.
did you really think we would get toney ? we aint spent in 2 seasons what he went for .garbutt we offered but dithered ,eisa up for sale or free now and taylor come up but didnt really want to come this far up.

We were in for Toney first season down before we got Wyke- he went for similar money but the problem was the fact he was at Newcastle.

Last edited:
Concerning- always, but also understandable given decent chunks of potential budget is on hold till the contracts deadline and we know who is staying or leaving.

as always with this level things will start moving at the end of this month when contracts end.

Learn from what?

We bring players in early often, we bring them in mid close season and late close season.

What we don't often do and which is key is bring the right ones in.
That's right enough, it is always massive quantity over any sort of quality as we always seem to be starting our next rebuild.

I reckon McGeady will sign unless he gets an offer from Scotland. He’s said in the podcast last season that his family are settled here. I also believe he has a house in Glasgow where he plans to live when he retires.

That's right enough, it is always massive quantity over any sort of quality as we always seem to be starting our next rebuild.

Individually you can often make a case for many of them too- he's good back up, he's a decent player for this level etc.

Collectively though we often don't get the right characteristics and strengths or like you say enough quality to have the right balance.

They are one interpretation of the facts certainly.

You could just as easily have said:

Enthusiastic, billionaire owner (x3 if you're just looking at board/directors) ..... in League One
Young, hungry, and respected backroom staff, DoF, etc. recruited from teams higher in the pyramid than us, rather than from Oxford and Eastleigh
High calibre boardroom in place (certainly compared to what we've endured for the last decade)
Investment in recruitment, data analysis, etc. suitable for a club much higher than we are currently
A squad ripe for a much needed and long overdue overhaul, and truth be told none of us will miss Wyke :lol:

Unproven manager, but let's see how he does.

I'm not saying everything is rosey, but it's certainly not all a disaster either.
How long has he got?

You're right of course, and they need time, however we've been here before, we think we're making progress and their plans are ambitious, but we are yet to see any fruits of their labour.

- We ended the season badly, first failing to go up automatically after fighting back to ensure automatic promotion was ours to lose;
- We crashed out of the playoffs to Lincoln City;
- We have not yet agreed to extend the contracts for the four players we wish to keep;
- We have yet to sign a player when the majority of the clubs in the league have, despite needing more players than most.

Posh bought Toney for £350K, as for Taylor he wouldn't sign because Donald made him pay for his own sandwich and coffee...
wyke cost more than £350k..

We were linked with Toney when he ended up at Peterborough. I'm sure if we were competitive we would have been a better option than them at the time

We were linked with Toney when he ended up at Peterborough. I'm sure if we were competitive we would have been a better option than them at the time
we paid more for the striker we signed in his stead..
but toney is ex mag and that might have counted against it..
we certainly had a higher wage bufget than peterbrough then so that wasnt the issue
so we spent more on him than toney..therefore money wasnt the reason for the choice made..

we paid more for the striker we signed in his stead..
but toney is ex mag and that might have counted against it..
we certainly had a higher wage bufget than peterbrough then so that wasnt the issue

so we spent more on him than toney..therefore money wasnt the reason for the choice made..
I never said money was the reason, someone else did and I was rebutting that by mentioning how little the mags sold him for?

Individually you can often make a case for many of them too- he's good back up, he's a decent player for this level etc.

Collectively though we often don't get the right characteristics and strengths or like you say enough quality to have the right balance.
Absolutely my thought about the vast majority of league one signings so far. Almost none of them make me truly wish we'd made a big push for them. They all qualify as 'decent' or 'useful' and little more.

Back