Kristjaan Speakman

Watched that interview 3 times now and.it just sits right with me. Everything he says is spot on, "the owners" clearly aren't Donald and Methven. Loved the bit about local young players not wanting to leave, yet we had fans insisting there was nothing the club could do (league Juan etc etc ETC). Mentality of us fans probably needs to change as well and understand young players need a bit time and patience. I mean we had fans actually sticking up for, and agreeing, with the sale of Bali Mumba. Haway man a blind man on a galloping horse could see his development here was stifled and handled abysmally.

Fingers crossed this bloke, with the backing of new owners, is given the time and our patience in building the club he talks about.

yeah, and it was just patently wrong because we even had parents coming on here saying their kids didn’t want to leave but the way the club treat them left them no choice.

make it a good experience with a path to actually playing and kids will be very happy to stay.

As I said a few days ago there’s a ‘head of football’ being appointed and he’s touched on that in his interview and said they’re looking for a ‘head of player acquisitions’.

That’s already done too btw.
I think I could do with some sort of flow chart/management structure plan to see what we have, and what we are aiming to have in place, and their roles😁.

How realistic is it though? We have already sold off our most talented 15-18 year olds so it’s probably going to be at least another 3/4 years before we get a decent bunch coming through.
There is some talent still at the club between those age groups

From u18 second years I'd say Patrick Almond looks to have a future

We also have lads who been recognised for England at youth level:
There is some talent still at the club between those age groups

From u18 second years I'd say Patrick Almond looks to have a future

We also have lads from the 18s who been recognised for England at youth level:

Ryan Gooch
Ellis Taylor
Adam Richardson
Harrison Bond
Sam Irons

Jay Turner-cooke is highly rated too although I'm not sure what will happen to him with all the stuff with his dad going.

U16s there also a number of lads who been recognised by England aswell:

Henry Fieldson
Joseph Ryder
Francis Okoronko

There maybe others I've missed aswell

Basically, yes the club has cashed in on some very talented players but there is still some at the club. Prove is in the pudding whether these lads are kept and developed properly
yeah, and it was just patently wrong because we even had parents coming on here saying their kids didn’t want to leave but the way the club treat them left them no choice.

make it a good experience with a path to actually playing and kids will be very happy to stay.
They were fed a line by Methven and the majority of fans were took in by it

Last edited:

I think some probably did want to go. The question really is why? The answer probably that they could see the academy falling apart around their ears and felt they were neither valued or likely to have a path to first team. Under those circumstances you probably do decide you need to move.I hope we’re keeping an eye on some, Greenwood has moved back north and others would probably choose to in future if they’re not quite Man Utd/Liverpool quality.

I've said this before but I'm pretty sure he was only signed as a versatile squad filler for our threadbare U23s. He wasn't setting the 5th tier alight at Pools & never really managed to hold down a place at that level.
Yeah, from what i've seen he doesn't get involved enough for me. Goes missing for long periods.

The multiple references to ‘Project’ gives me a lot of hope. You can tell this has all been well thought through. Finally some long term and progressive thinking at SAFC.

Credit to KLD and JS for putting the change of approach together. I wonder how much influence KLD has had on this with his studies / background. I suspect a fair bit.

Let’s see if these lads hired can deliver on it.
That’s what I’m most positive about from the interview. He talks well and is impressive but the remit, project and vision is coming from the new owners.

It’s the direction we’re now heading in even if he personally falls short (which will just mean it takes a bit longer). It’s exactly what I’ve wanted from the club for a decade.

That’s what I’m most positive about from the interview. He talks well and is impressive but the remit, project and vision is coming from the new owners.

It’s the direction we’re now heading in even if he personally falls short (which will just mean it takes a bit longer). It’s exactly what I’ve wanted from the club for a decade.

Let’s hope he’s a good project manager !

It‘s fascinating to read over the last day or two that even after Poyet became a non-starter and Cowley and Johnson seemed to be the options, nobody wanted Johnson !

It’s been incredibly easy to bash the club recently and they’ve certainly given us enough ammunition to do so, but maybe they need to be applauded for at last being determined to establish a structure and appointing key figures to fit that model rather than going with popular opinion.

I sincerely hope LJ is a success but even if his role in the rise of SAFC is getting us from L1 to becoming an established championship club before being replaced by another man to take us further, and the next appointment is in keeping with the model, then he’ll have served us well.

Fingers crossed

Is likely to be how the shareholders’ want to be called going forward with nobody being in sole charge. The fact that SD & CM are part of that ‘group’ continues to be a concern

The structure will be very interesting assuming details are released. Going to be a huge factor on our future.
What we need is a really talented COACH of players who adopts the correct approach and this permeates through the entire club at all age levels via sufficiently switched on coaches, there needs to be a template that EVERYONE follows.

There also needs to be a clearly defined route for young lads to follow with the possibility of starting 11 football. And again SAFC need the resolve to follow it through to success.

Last edited:
I did I listened to the interview, I also had a look at Birmingham this year and as far as I can see there is little to nothing in terms of young academy products in the first team.

Did you check how many past graduates are playing for other clubs and at what level? That should provide the answer. Or alternatively the piece is a tissue of lies?

1. How do you know that he doesn't have a clue?
2. Things are massively data driven now. Data doesn't care about the North East or Sunderland.
3. I'd rather have someone cold and analytical running football operations if they deliver results. Couldn't give a flying fuck if he's not boozing with fans before the same singing 'disco pants'.
Who’s the only person that has delivered anything near what should be delivered to the fans in the last 10 years from an administrative role, answer : Niall Quinn why because he knew what it takes to be a footballer at safc.
That’s the point.
We had bundles of clever snotty kids since with all there analytical mularky, who produced nothing.

Found his interview very interesting, first impressions are I like him. Spoke very well and intelligently (anar we’ve heard and seen similar before) but I found myself actually properly listening to his words and he didn’t come out with cliches and general bullshit.

Who’s the only person that has delivered anything near what should be delivered to the fans in the last 10 years from an administrative role, answer : Niall Quinn why because he knew what it takes to be a footballer at safc.
That’s the point.
We had bundles of clever snotty kids since with all there analytical mularky, who produced nothing.
I love Quinny but I’m not sure what administrative success you’re attributing to him there.

Watched that interview 3 times now and.it just sits right with me. Everything he says is spot on, "the owners" clearly aren't Donald and Methven. Loved the bit about local young players not wanting to leave, yet we had fans insisting there was nothing the club could do (league Juan etc etc ETC). Mentality of us fans probably needs to change as well and understand young players need a bit time and patience. I mean we had fans actually sticking up for, and agreeing, with the sale of Bali Mumba. Haway man a blind man on a galloping horse could see his development here was stifled and handled abysmally.

Fingers crossed this bloke, with the backing of new owners, is given the time and our patience in building the club he talks about.

if only we’d held on to Bali till now he’d be put straight in that squad minimum with the new direction. Hugill and Pye would be in and around it too. Such a shame but hopefully now the next lot coming through won’t be shifted out at the sight of a pound coin. Think we’ve had a massive change in direction and mentality now.

Agree about us as fans too. Diamonds played a couple times and I’ve seen him getting pelters, we are canny harsh on our own for some reason. Tried to defend him saying he’s barely played and when he has played he’s shoehorned in to wing back which is not his position. Fell on deaf ears though.

Back