Ko Samui

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding your question about a trip, without any doubt I would suggest you opt for Ayutthaya, which was the old capital, rather than a myth based upon a film shot in Sri Lanka, which is a post war construction.

I think that's a bit harsh! It's only the bridge itself that's a myth, the history of what went on in that region is very real and I think the cemeteries, the museums and the 'death railway' itself can form part of a very interesting and emotional trip. It's also one of the nicest areas of Thailand, imho, the Erawan falls is a particular favourite.

If you're stuck for time you can get some really good organised tours to the area which include a night or two spent on 'floating hotels' on the river.

Double post! :oops:

I think that's a bit harsh! It's only the bridge itself that's a myth, the history of what went on in that region is very real and I think the cemeteries, the museums and the 'death railway' itself can form part of a very interesting and emotional trip. It's also one of the nicest areas of Thailand, imho, the Erawan falls is a particular favourite.

If you're stuck for time you can get some really good organised tours to the area which include a night or two spent on 'floating hotels' on the river.

Apologies for any confusion, that's exactly what I meant and my post was in no way intended to belittle the sacrifices of those involved in the construction of the death railway which were very real!

My point was that many tourists visit the bridge at Kanchanaburi but it's not even built on the same site of the original.

Last edited:
I always recommend avoiding the first couple of weeks when the seasons are changing because the weather tends not to be so predictable, after that you would normally be fine.

Would mid to back end of November be alright? Don’t want it scorching hot.

I went early May last year, weather was spot on, had two downpours, one at night so we just stopped in a bar, the other thought the day, went for a massage for an hour, blazing sunshine when it was finished.

I’ve got a mate that has a place there and he recommended May
Think I might just get it booked. Gonna do 3 days Bangkok at the start, which apparently gets quite a bit wetter than Koh Samui that time of year, but I'm not too arsed.

Ayutthaya is tremendous.
Aye I think I quite fancy it like.

Last edited:
Think I might just get it booked. Gonna do 3 days Bangkok at the start, which apparently gets quite a bit wetter than Koh Samui that time of year, but I'm not too arsed.

Again, I went to Bangkok for a few night on my way to Ko Samui, weather was spot on, but very humid, definitely have a night at Soi Cowboy, it's an eye opener lol

Samui is my least preferred Thai Island. I hated it. So much so that I left after 4 hours to find another one. Seemed to be more tailored to package holidays and had a lot of the 'Thai-ness' stripped away from it, but I suppose it's all about what YOU are looking for.
At least you gave it a good go.
You generally get to know an island and all its areas after 4 hours

Just in Bangkok returning from ko samui and ko phangan.

Had a great time, will definately come back to Thailand, just not in April. Was f***ing roasting!

Chaweng was awful, Bophut great, but loved where we stayed north of the airport in plai laem ,not far from way plai laem. If we go back would go bsck there. There are a couple of bays which had hardly anyone on, one next to six sense resort (samrong Bay) and one next to the melati (thongson).
They were everything I dreamed about.
Preferred lamai and maenam market to fishermans village.
Thought the restaraunts in bangrak nr the big Buddha were the best in the island. Far better than Bophut. Bophut was maybe a bit calmer though.

Really like ko phangan, a lot more relaxed than ko samui.
The villas we stayed in were unreal. The main reason we went. The same 3 bed infinity pool villas in the Costa Del Sol would be about 4 times as expensive.

And driving a car was sound. Bit apprehensive before we went, but found it easier than Spain tbh. Love driving on the left!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back