Ko Samui

Samui is my least preferred Thai Island. I hated it. So much so that I left after 4 hours to find another one. Seemed to be more tailored to package holidays and had a lot of the 'Thai-ness' stripped away from it, but I suppose it's all about what YOU are looking for.

Not true!

I referred to Thailand in a post as 'the KINGDOM', which is normal terminology over here, then the board idiot thought he was being clever and capitalised it and those of similar cerebral power have been doing so ever since.

More than a little stupid imho given the name of the country most Brits live in, but they seem to forget that.

CLUE!

It was the same cretin who also referred to my curries as 'ILLEGAL curries', which he also capitalised and has been similarly copied by others of his ilk!
Why have you CAPITALISED clue?

I went in 2009/2010 and loved it, quiet and barely any traffic on the roads and places weren't to busy at all. I stayed in Lamai beach and used to get a taxis in to Chaweng on the night. Decided to go back in 2015 and I didn't enjoy it at all, everywhere seemed built up and the roads were mental compared to 5/6 years previous.

So what's the weather like in May do we kna? I know it's getting into rainy season but looks like it's still alright? Anyone been then?

And if you were to choose between a trip (from Bangkok) to the bridge over the river Kwai, or the old City of Ayutthaya, which would you do?

So what's the we one of eather like in May do we kna? I know it's getting into rainy season but looks like it's still alright? Anyone been then?

And if you were to choose between a trip (from Bangkok) to the bridge over the river Kwai, or the old City of Ayutthaya, which would you do?

People get worried about the term 'rainy season' but all that means is that (normally) the rain will fall at a predictable time every day, normally for a couple of hours, after which the clouds clear, the sun comes out again and life carries on as normal.

One tip though is to avoid the scheduled change of seasons when weather is more changeable.

Regarding your question about a trip, without any doubt I would suggest you opt for Ayutthaya, which was the old capital, rather than a myth based upon a film shot in Sri Lanka, which is a post war construction.

Historic City of Ayutthaya

The Bridge on the River Kwai

If you decide going down my recommended path I would suggest that you take one of the hotel boats ( Shangri la or Oriental) from Bangkok which are a very civilised way to go up river, visit Ayutthaya and then return.

https://www.expedia.com/things-to-d...MImcOG56P84AIVVgwrCh1zqAg7EAAYASAAEgJsIfD_BwE

People get worried about the term 'rainy season' but all that means is that (normally) the rain will fall at a predictable time every day, normally for a couple of hours, after which the clouds clear, the sun comes out again and life carries on as normal.

One tip though is to avoid the scheduled change of seasons when weather is more changeable.

Regarding your question about a trip, without any doubt I would suggest you opt for Ayutthaya, which was the old capital, rather than a myth based upon a film shot in Sri Lanka, which is a post war construction.

Historic City of Ayutthaya

The Bridge on the River Kwai

If you decide going down my recommended path I would suggest that you take one of the hotel boats ( Shangri la or Oriental) from Bangkok which are a very civilised way to go up river, visit Ayutthaya and then return.

https://www.expedia.com/things-to-d...MImcOG56P84AIVVgwrCh1zqAg7EAAYASAAEgJsIfD_BwE

Not sure what you mean by the scheduled change of seasons?

I think Ayutthaya is what I'm leaning to assuming we do book up - but our local connection to the bridge made me think I should maybe pay a visit, though it'd be a longer trip.

Not sure what you mean by the scheduled change of seasons?

I think Ayutthaya is what I'm leaning to assuming we do book up - but our local connection to the bridge made me think I should maybe pay a visit, though it'd be a longer trip.

• The Hot Season

Ruu4duu1raawn4 ฤดูร้อน

The hot (or dry) season is from February to May. The season is as it says. Lots of hot sunny days with not much rain. But personally, the highs of 85F during the ‘cold’ season doesn’t feel that much different than the highs of 90F during the hot season. In the north east there will be little rain, and often times serious drought. In the southern provinces it’ll still rain often during this season. If you’re from Bangkok and you’re vacationing on a beach in Koh Samui during the hot season, you might swear it was rainy season.

The Rainy Season

Ruu4duu1fon5dtok2 ฤดูฝนตก

The rainy season, or monsoon season if you prefer, is from May to October. The word for ‘rain’ in Thai is fon5 dtok2 ฝนตก. Bangkok, being located right smack in the flood delta of the largest river in Thailand, is threatened by flooding every year. It was even once referred to as the ‘Venice of the East’, before it figured out how to defend itself using dams and drainage canals.

The rainy season isn’t non-stop rain, however. Usually it’ll only rain about once a day for a few hours, and that’s it. And this will happen generally every day for the entire season. If you live outside of inner Bangkok you’ll likely experience flash floods of about a foot or so in the roads, but it’ll quickly drain away.

The Seasons in Thailand

• The Hot Season

Ruu4duu1raawn4 ฤดูร้อน

The hot (or dry) season is from February to May. The season is as it says. Lots of hot sunny days with not much rain. But personally, the highs of 85F during the ‘cold’ season doesn’t feel that much different than the highs of 90F during the hot season. In the north east there will be little rain, and often times serious drought. In the southern provinces it’ll still rain often during this season. If you’re from Bangkok and you’re vacationing on a beach in Koh Samui during the hot season, you might swear it was rainy season.

The Rainy Season

Ruu4duu1fon5dtok2 ฤดูฝนตก

The rainy season, or monsoon season if you prefer, is from May to October. The word for ‘rain’ in Thai is fon5 dtok2 ฝนตก. Bangkok, being located right smack in the flood delta of the largest river in Thailand, is threatened by flooding every year. It was even once referred to as the ‘Venice of the East’, before it figured out how to defend itself using dams and drainage canals.

The rainy season isn’t non-stop rain, however. Usually it’ll only rain about once a day for a few hours, and that’s it. And this will happen generally every day for the entire season. If you live outside of inner Bangkok you’ll likely experience flash floods of about a foot or so in the roads, but it’ll quickly drain away.

The Seasons in Thailand

:lol: So avoid May then?

So what's the weather like in May do we kna? I know it's getting into rainy season but looks like it's still alright? Anyone been then?

I went early May last year, weather was spot on, had two downpours, one at night so we just stopped in a bar, the other thought the day, went for a massage for an hour, blazing sunshine when it was finished.

I’ve got a mate that has a place there and he recommended May

Back