Keel Square Hotel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, thought he meant near the empire. I think they changed their mind about the 4500 thing at the beacon.

I thought that was knocked on the head, I've seen no mention to an auditorium at the beacon for ages.

Their plan's include an event space with floating floor

450 was the fire station one, bout the same size as the customs house in shields.

700 for the auditorium...about 80% bigger than Shields' best venue

Google? Amazon?

Ah, the coin's just dropped. I bet it's Leighton relocating back into town from Rainton Bridge.

That was my thoughts given Paul Callaghan's links to the MAC

Last edited:

You think hotels should be built for the 3 gigs a year at the stadium? How many fans were using hotels to stop up for a matchday that aren't doing the same now?
Obviously not, but they football and the gigs were two of the main attractions along with the airshow, they're both kaput now and Sunderland missed the bus, the hotels should have been built many years ago, just like many other things, the towns been under developed for years, like I said I'm pleased to see new builds, but the timing is way off, lets hope the new hotel is used and not standing empty for years like that Tax office in low Row, or let out to students like the Echo building.

It's better than what's there i.e. nothing...but the old problem remains: there's simply nothing here to entice people in. The Town Centre is an absolute mess in every direction once you exit The Bridges.
Blandford Street, Holmeside, Fawcett Street, The Market Square urgently need addressing.

What happened to the revamp of High Street? What happened to the plans to flatten The Corner Flag etc...should have been 2 years ago if memory serves me right?

It's better than what's there i.e. nothing...but the old problem remains: there's simply nothing here to entice people in. The Town Centre is an absolute mess in every direction once you exit The Bridges.
Blandford Street, Holmeside, Fawcett Street, The Market Square urgently need addressing.

What happened to the revamp of High Street? What happened to the plans to flatten The Corner Flag etc...should have been 2 years ago if memory serves me right?

Shots fired

Everything takes forever in Sunderland, back in 1972 I lived in Croyden for around 6 months, then it was a small town, I revisited the place in 1998 and the difference was amazing, looked like a city, meanwhile back in Sunderland, in 2017 the place is worse than it was in the 1960's, we all want the best for the place, but lets not fudge over the facts, we've been short changed for year.
I was surprised the new bridge was even built, I had a feeling the government might have pulled the plug, I'm pleased they didn't and I like this design more than the original, there's so much to do here it's going to take years, like you say the town is a disgrace, lets hope this is the start of the redevelopment, I remember a sign on the ground opposite the Museum vaults, stating, watch this space!, that was 13 years ago, I'm still watching, the signs gone though.

Just think, in two years time that entire area is going to be unrecognizable to what we know it to be.

People have slated Keel Square, but it will become the center of a hub of business, restaurants, venues and hotels around the Vaux site. For those who slate our city centre, the area will be essentially reborn and will become the new "core" of everything.

Even the Chronicle is admitting now Sunderland is changing, we're going to smash those negative perceptions :cool:
Quality post love the positive vibes about our city centre.

Everything takes forever in Sunderland, back in 1972 I lived in Croyden for around 6 months, then it was a small town, I revisited the place in 1998 and the difference was amazing, looked like a city, meanwhile back in Sunderland, in 2017 the place is worse than it was in the 1960's, we all want the best for the place, but lets not fudge over the facts, we've been short changed for year.
I was surprised the new bridge was even built, I had a feeling the government might have pulled the plug, I'm pleased they didn't and I like this design more than the original, there's so much to do here it's going to take years, like you say the town is a disgrace, lets hope this is the start of the redevelopment, I remember a sign on the ground opposite the Museum vaults, stating, watch this space!, that was 13 years ago, I'm still watching, the signs gone though.

@Mackem00

I remember the Winter Gardens created a buzz that reached Newcastle, sadly that hasn't been matched since.

In fact it might have been the last new building that wasn't a box :eek:

Lets offer a bit optimism for Sunderland. The city centre has been neglected but now things are getting done. Once there are other businesses located onto the vaux site, sheepfolds etc. the footfall will increase around the city centre shops, bars and restaurants. These sites will become primary producers to other businesses in the city centre. The new road (SSTC) into the city centre will help accessibility making it appealing to companies wanting to relocate. There's a good approach road (A1018) to the south to the A19 also. The plans to bring more students in with accommodation, with more living and working in the city centre the place will become self sustaining. There's good access between the beach, the riverside and city centre. Big events being planned, a dedicated development company in Siglion and arts consultants in the MAC trust.....things are looking up.

Last edited:
Lets offer a bit optimism for Sunderland. The city centre has been neglected but now things are getting done. Once there are other businesses located onto the vaux site, sheepfolds etc. the footfall will increase around the city centre shops, bars and restaurants. These sites will become primary producers to other businesses in the city centre. The new road (SSTC) into the city centre will help accessibility making it appealing to companies wanting to relocate. There's a good approach road (A1018) to the south to the A19 also. The plans to bring more students in with accommodation, with more living and working in the city centre the place will become self sustaining. There's good access between the beach, the riverside and city centre. Big events being planned, a dedicated development company in Siglion and arts consultants in the MAC trust.....things are looking up.
Another excellent post good to read a poster who actually knows what he is talking about fair play.

Thank you Kingdom Bhoy!....... Sunderland has so much potential for development, its needed to reinvent itself before and its now evolving into a modern city. Despite the best efforts of people knocking the place....its heart just keeps beating!
Again well said that man its far too easy to be negative I prefer to focus on the positives there are some good ambitious people in our city and I'm confident they will see the developments through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back