Keel Square Hotel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just think, in two years time that entire area is going to be unrecognizable to what we know it to be.

People have slated Keel Square, but it will become the center of a hub of business, restaurants, venues and hotels around the Vaux site. For those who slate our city centre, the area will be essentially reborn and will become the new "core" of everything.

Even the Chronicle is admitting now Sunderland is changing, we're going to smash those negative perceptions :cool:
Yee Hee. Bring it on.

I wouldn’t get carried away if I were you.

Unless someone can tell me the one and only building on the Vaux site is fully occupied and that others are planned who have waiting tenants?

The potential is there for sure though!
How well you accept, recognise, mimic the somewhat depressing response to improvements in Sunderland.

You forgot to mention the auditorium they're building behind the old fire station...and the beacon of light which is intended to host concerts for up to 4500 people

Third best attended UK museum outside of London
WOW This is the stuff we need to be talking about.

Everything takes forever in Sunderland, back in 1972 I lived in Croyden for around 6 months, then it was a small town, I revisited the place in 1998 and the difference was amazing, looked like a city, meanwhile back in Sunderland, in 2017 the place is worse than it was in the 1960's, we all want the best for the place, but lets not fudge over the facts, we've been short changed for year.
I was surprised the new bridge was even built, I had a feeling the government might have pulled the plug, I'm pleased they didn't and I like this design more than the original, there's so much to do here it's going to take years, like you say the town is a disgrace, lets hope this is the start of the redevelopment, I remember a sign on the ground opposite the Museum vaults, stating, watch this space!, that was 13 years ago, I'm still watching, the signs gone though.

MONEY. UTTER LACK OF GOVERNMENT SUPPORT except when they are destroying things. Croydon is London.

Last edited by a moderator:
The proof is in the rating as they say. Wether we like it or not there is a lot of construction going on which is good.
Let's see how good the new bridge is
Let's see who rents the offices from outside of Sunderland on the vaux site.
Let's see how many 4,500 string concerts we get
Let's see what new attractions keel square bring to the town.
The lovers and haters must agree on this surely.

MONEY. UTTER LACK OF GOVERNMENT SUPPORT except when they are destroying things. Croydon is London.

Spot-on - they can spend £20 billion on cross-rail (?) so 60,000 commuters can shave 20 minutes off their commute but we have to make-do with the knackered metro, Northern and a bus service(s) not fit for purpose!

Last edited:
It's better than what's there i.e. nothing...but the old problem remains: there's simply nothing here to entice people in. The Town Centre is an absolute mess in every direction once you exit The Bridges.
Blandford Street, Holmeside, Fawcett Street, The Market Square urgently need addressing.

What happened to the revamp of High Street? What happened to the plans to flatten The Corner Flag etc...should have been 2 years ago if memory serves me right?

It all starts with a proper railway station. Preferably a high speed one. A true hub and gateway into the city. All imo of course.

It all starts with a proper railway station. Preferably a high speed one. A true hub and gateway into the city. All imo of course.

Sadly, unlikely, whilst we're in the shadow of Newcastle. It makes you wonder if it's all down to the fact we're in Tyne and Wear and not County Durham. It was a sizeable shift in power back in 1970 whatever it was.

If we had autonomy, I'm sure the London connections would have been far easier to establish, and the chosen night out for many mackems would be Durham and not Tyneside.

Yes I'm aware of that mate, hence.
"the place is worse than it was in the 1960's, we all want the best for the place, but lets not fudge over the facts, we've been short changed for years"
I've been down the town today, not long back home, the place was desolate and looked wind swept and dreary, walked pass Shackleton house, looks like it's going to be occupied at long last, the place must have been empty for almost 14 years?
You hit the nail on the head with "MONEY", not only the lack of investment but also the amount of disposable income, by the low paid population, until that changes, it's always going to take forever for anything to get done.

Yes I'm aware of that mate, hence.
"the place is worse than it was in the 1960's, we all want the best for the place, but lets not fudge over the facts, we've been short changed for years"
I've been down the town today, not long back home, the place was desolate and looked wind swept and dreary, walked pass Shackleton house, looks like it's going to be occupied at long last, the place must have been empty for almost 14 years?
You hit the nail on the head with "MONEY", not only the lack of investment but also the amount of disposable income, by the low paid population, until that changes, it's always going to take forever for anything to get done.

:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back