Keel Square Hotel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets offer a bit optimism for Sunderland. The city centre has been neglected but now things are getting done. Once there are other businesses located onto the vaux site, sheepfolds etc. the footfall will increase around the city centre shops, bars and restaurants. These sites will become primary producers to other businesses in the city centre. The new road (SSTC) into the city centre will help accessibility making it appealing to companies wanting to relocate. There's a good approach road (A1018) to the south to the A19 also. The plans to bring more students in with accommodation, with more living and working in the city centre the place will become self sustaining. There's good access between the beach, the riverside and city centre. Big events being planned, a dedicated development company in Siglion and arts consultants in the MAC trust.....things are looking up.
Great post, but its understandable that people are very sceptic about the whole thing.

Things are looking to be taking shape though, its exciting to see how things change over the next few years.

This.

City centre is dead imo

Not just about the vaux site though, although thats very important......its the change in strategy to bring businesses and homes into a central urban core..........i.e the City centre! More people living and working in the city centre is the ideal. Centralising things will make it the bustling place it deserves to be.

Lets offer a bit optimism for Sunderland. The city centre has been neglected but now things are getting done. Once there are other businesses located onto the vaux site, sheepfolds etc. the footfall will increase around the city centre shops, bars and restaurants. These sites will become primary producers to other businesses in the city centre. The new road (SSTC) into the city centre will help accessibility making it appealing to companies wanting to relocate. There's a good approach road (A1018) to the south to the A19 also. The plans to bring more students in with accommodation, with more living and working in the city centre the place will become self sustaining. There's good access between the beach, the riverside and city centre. Big events being planned, a dedicated development company in Siglion and arts consultants in the MAC trust.....things are looking up.
The pace needs to pick up though. Get things built and starpish.

I think you could see in the demise of Sunderland what has happened to countless other towns and cities - decay and stagnation from the 80's onwards - its one of the pitiful legacies of Thatcher's 'survival of the fittest' ethos which has seen places like Newcastle, Leeds, Manchester, Cardiff even Birmingham prosper while countless other places like Sunderland, Shields, Coventry, Stoke etc. die a slow death. It shouldn't have been allowed to happen - I dont believe it has in Germany. You can also look at Brexit voting to see Newcastle, Leeds, Cardiff etc. vote to Remain while everywhere looked at where they lived and said well it can't be worse outside of the EU.

Now Sunderland seems to have a vision to rebuild in a new, creative way - not trying to replicate Newcastle because that is a lost cause but to reinvent itself as something different. With people like Watson in charge it almost seems despite the politicians but there is a vision there and there are actually things happening. Keel Square, Vaux, the new Bridge, the Fire Station, the new Auditorium, the New College, Joplings and most importantly the City of Culture bid which has a real chance. People really have to stop looking at the negatives - the changes appear to be slow, which is often the public sector way, but it took 30 years of death and decay from a time when Sunderland, Shields and Newcastle were all bustling to what we have now so it will take more than 2 years to right those wrongs. BUT there is a vision and we should support it. We will get the City of Culture award despite the naysayers and cynics that get on here not because of them but if we do get that award you can be damn sure they'll all be proud of it. We should also applaud all those positive souls battling away to drag Sunderland forward like Paul Callaghan, Ross Millard, even the maligned Siglion - lets hope they are right and the negative cynics 100% wrong.

I think you could see in the demise of Sunderland what has happened to countless other towns and cities - decay and stagnation from the 80's onwards - its one of the pitiful legacies of Thatcher's 'survival of the fittest' ethos which has seen places like Newcastle, Leeds, Manchester, Cardiff even Birmingham prosper while countless other places like Sunderland, Shields, Coventry, Stoke etc. die a slow death. It shouldn't have been allowed to happen - I dont believe it has in Germany. You can also look at Brexit voting to see Newcastle, Leeds, Cardiff etc. vote to Remain while everywhere looked at where they lived and said well it can't be worse outside of the EU.

Now Sunderland seems to have a vision to rebuild in a new, creative way - not trying to replicate Newcastle because that is a lost cause but to reinvent itself as something different. With people like Watson in charge it almost seems despite the politicians but there is a vision there and there are actually things happening. Keel Square, Vaux, the new Bridge, the Fire Station, the new Auditorium, the New College, Joplings and most importantly the City of Culture bid which has a real chance. People really have to stop looking at the negatives - the changes appear to be slow, which is often the public sector way, but it took 30 years of death and decay from a time when Sunderland, Shields and Newcastle were all bustling to what we have now so it will take more than 2 years to right those wrongs. BUT there is a vision and we should support it. We will get the City of Culture award despite the naysayers and cynics that get on here not because of them but if we do get that award you can be damn sure they'll all be proud of it. We should also applaud all those positive souls battling away to drag Sunderland forward like Paul Callaghan, Ross Millard, even the maligned Siglion - lets hope they are right and the negative cynics 100% wrong.

Excellent post mate, Its so important everyone supports it, old and young. Sunderland will have a bright future, a mixed create economy, a bustling/vibrant city centre. And for the younger generations to buy into Sunderland as a modern, great place to live and work..... The canvas is essentially blank and it can grow from both internal and external investments. Its got every right to develop this way, with its own identity.
The basis is there for an accessible city from each direction but especially via the A1018 and in the future the new SSTC. There's great development opportunities all over the urban core of Sunderland, spaces to be developed, great access to the river and great beaches at Roker and Seaburn in close proximity to the city centre. Well done to all making it happen and for showing their passion about all things Sunderland!

I think you are being harsh on Paul Watson maybe. He became leader 9 years ago and he peddled Sunderland Arc 3 years later (they achieved fuck all in 9 years). ONE North East ceased a year later and only then did we get the chance to take control of our own regeneration destiny. Since then things have really started to move and personally Watson has become leader of Centre for Cities and NECA.

450 was the fire station one, bout the same size as the customs house in shields.
The 450 is the maximum seated audience, while the standing figure is 700, so it's still a decent sized venue.

Excellent post mate, Its so important everyone supports it, old and young. Sunderland will have a bright future, a mixed create economy, a bustling/vibrant city centre. And for the younger generations to buy into Sunderland as a modern, great place to live and work..... The canvas is essentially blank and it can grow from both internal and external investments. Its got every right to develop this way, with its own identity.
The basis is there for an accessible city from each direction but especially via the A1018 and in the future the new SSTC. There's great development opportunities all over the urban core of Sunderland, spaces to be developed, great access to the river and great beaches at Roker and Seaburn in close proximity to the city centre. Well done to all making it happen and for showing their passion about all things Sunderland!
Good post mate, Another plus in my eyes is most of the new housing planned (I don't agree with the Herrington plans, and no I don't live there) especially the larger Executive type housing i.e. people with lots disposable money plus the benefit of the population of Sunderland actually rising again, as said earlier the future of Sunderland could be a bright one, if it's managed in the right manner.

Last edited:
It still amazes me how quiet the City Centre is on a night like, its like there is a generation of people currently living in Sunderland who just refuse to go into it after dark. New things open they last a few months and they close. Hopefully the generation coming up behind this one actually use the places that are being opened/built

It still amazes me how quiet the City Centre is on a night like, its like there is a generation of people currently living in Sunderland who just refuse to go into it after dark. New things open they last a few months and they close. Hopefully the generation coming up behind this one actually use the places that are being opened/built
Satellite TV and supermarket beer has done that.

There's more than a generation who refuse to go there full stop. Thats the main issue, the people of Sunderland taking their money elsewhere.

Boulevard

That's the spirit.

I suppose you'll be right and all those people who have forged success careers in regeneration will be wrong

2018 Q1

Shame it's not this year but progress is progress. I look forward to it being finished and the surrounding area improving. I work in Newcastle but spend my money on wearside on principle. I'll spend more and be happire when there is a better environment and more options to spend my cash on.

Wrong. I know first hand the travelodge next to the pictures is in a desperate state bookings wise.

I remember the Winter Gardens created a buzz that reached Newcastle, sadly that hasn't been matched since.

In fact it might have been the last new building that wasn't a box :eek:
Imagine if they had rebuilt it as per the original design. Now that would have been something.

I think you are being harsh on Paul Watson maybe. He became leader 9 years ago and he peddled Sunderland Arc 3 years later (they achieved fuck all in 9 years). ONE North East ceased a year later and only then did we get the chance to take control of our own regeneration destiny. Since then things have really started to move and personally Watson has become leader of Centre for Cities and NECA.
The man is an utter embarrasment whenever he opens his mouth. Surely we agree on that.

Not just about the vaux site though, although thats very important......its the change in strategy to bring businesses and homes into a central urban core..........i.e the City centre! More people living and working in the city centre is the ideal. Centralising things will make it the bustling place it deserves to be.
Bollocks....look at the occupancy of those luxury city centre dwellings at Echo24

Last edited:
Wrong. I know first hand the travelodge next to the pictures is in a desperate state bookings wise.

Imagine if they had rebuilt it as per the original design. Now that would have been something.

The man is an utter embarrasment whenever he opens his mouth. Surely we agree on that.

Bollocks....look at the occupancy of those luxury city centre dwellings at Echo24

Ok what about the occupancy of the flats above the bridges? Not a flash in the pan are they? 1960s circa I think.
They've been stalwarts of central Sunderland for years.......where do the residents spend their cash? And have spent their cash since the 1960s??? That's right in the city centre below.
I used to live very close to the city centre........where did I spend my money.....,.,in the city centre.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back