Keel Square Hotel

Status
Not open for further replies.

How do you explain the near £15m it cost the club to build, along with it making a £400k operating loss in its first three months of trading?

Expensive vanity project.

Didnt it open a month before the end of the season iirc

So why did you just pick the 1st 3 months? When 2 of them will be a quieter period.

Do you have the figures for the rest of the year or are you being selective?

Why did the club pay for a Hilton hotel to be built?

The big hotel chains don’t actually own a great deal of property in developed markets (such as the UK).

What usually happens is a third party builds the hotel, then another party will subsequently manage it under a franchisee agreement.

From what I gather, the club developed the site, and also manage the hotel. They will bear all the development and operating costs for the right to use the Hilton brand. Hilton take a guaranteed percentage of revenues as their franchise fee.

Didnt it open a month before the end of the season iirc

So why did you just pick the 1st 3 months? When 2 of them will be a quieter period.

Do you have the figures for the rest of the year or are you being selective?

They are the only figures publicly available atm. I doubt it will make that much of a difference.

Last edited:
I don't see many people twisting, it's nice to have the facts and not have smoke blown up our arses, I see people that want the best for the town and cheesed off with getting the crumbs from the table, some folks are happy with anything that's thrown at them and this as been Sunderland's downfall, both for the town and the football club, making do with chod, canny owld Sunderland," that'll dee man, it's better than nowt".
Maybe the towns people should all twist together, we might have our voices heard for once, or we can make do with another concrete box being built every other year, I've lived in various towns and cities in the UK and I can honestly say, Sunderland lags behind every single one of them and I'd love to see that change, lets hope it's happening now, it's not before time.

Of course there are genuine concerns like train station toilets etc.

But many also complain when something more upmarket comes along, asking 'whats the point' The hilton hotel is an example as is the flannels shop.

I don't see many people twisting, it's nice to have the facts and not have smoke blown up our arses, I see people that want the best for the town and cheesed off with getting the crumbs from the table, some folks are happy with anything that's thrown at them and this as been Sunderland's downfall, both for the town and the football club, making do with chod, canny owld Sunderland," that'll dee man, it's better than nowt".
Maybe the towns people should all twist together, we might have our voices heard for once, or we can make do with another concrete box being built every other year, I've lived in various towns and cities in the UK and I can honestly say, Sunderland lags behind every single one of them and I'd love to see that change, lets hope it's happening now, it's not before time.
Sorry to say that you’re one of the worst for twisting Ted. That’s why we take the piss out of you about the bridge. I’ve never seen you say once ‘what’s best for the town’...just twist about what is happening.

You must have lived in some fantastic places as my experience is that Sunderland fares well in comparison with other towns and cities around the UK

How do you explain the near £15m it cost the club to build, along with it making a £400k operating loss in its first three months of trading?

Expensive vanity project.
I don’t explain it at all as it’s simply not f***ing true :lol:

Sorry to say that you’re one of the worst for twisting Ted. That’s why we take the piss out of you about the bridge. I’ve never seen you say once ‘what’s best for the town’...just twist about what is happening.

You must have lived in some fantastic places as my experience is that Sunderland fares well in comparison with other towns and cities around the UK

I don’t explain it at all as it’s simply not f***ing true :lol:

Publicly available accounts are simply not true??

The entire persona of you and a few of your hangers on is utterly tedious as fuck, man.

Cost us the Celtic in Seville UEFA Cup Final at the SOL.......

Dodged a bullet there I think.

I'll be in town tomorrow with the little un spending me hard earned (well to be more exact, she'll be spending it) instead of whingeing on an internet message board about how shit the town is. Popping ower to Roker afterwards to dodge in the cake shop down the pier.

Last edited:
Dodged a bullet there I think.

I'll be in town tomorrow with the little un spending me hard earned (well to be more exact, she'll be spending it) instead of whingeing on an internet message board about how shit the town is. Popping ower to Roker afterwards to dodge in the cake shop down the pier.
Yes, I'll be down the town as well spending some cash. Wish there was more like us who use Sunderland first.

Yes, I'll be down the town as well spending some cash. Wish there was more like us who use Sunderland first.

I work away mate. Always do any major spends in Sunderland where I can though. I needed a new telly a few years ago. Put off buying it for weeks and got one in the electrical shop on Sea Road next time I was back home. I know it's only a little gesture but if everyone was of the same mentality then it can only help the town.

I work away mate. Always do any major spends in Sunderland where I can though. I needed a new telly a few years ago. Put off buying it for weeks and got one in the electrical shop on Sea Road next time I was back home. I know it's only a little gesture but if everyone was of the same mentality then it can only help the town.
Do they have a web site?

I think people misunderstand. Me personally moan about the council not Sunderland.
All my money gets spent here apart from the odd trip to metro centre for Xmas. Buisiness buys all materials and pays all its rates in Sunderland.
But I refuse to be lied too and make do with whatever gets threw our way and be grateful
why do you work away then?

I think people misunderstand. Me personally moan about the council not Sunderland.
All my money gets spent here apart from the odd trip to metro centre for Xmas. Buisiness buys all materials and pays all its rates in Sunderland.
But I refuse to be lied too and make do with whatever gets threw our way and be grateful

why do you work away then?

Better wages. Better T&C's. If you work somewhere where you can easily walk from one job to another they tend to pay a premium to keep you. The company I work for outsourced a lot of their unskilled work to Newcastle & Coventry a few years ago cos (a) they can pay less and (b) they don't have to worry about a high turnover of staff.

I'm lucky mind in that I live virtually rent-free in my work location.

Do they have a web site?

http://www.euronics.co.uk/retailer/john-calvert-electrical-ltd-30210a

Better wages. Better T&C's. If you work somewhere where you can easily walk from one job to another they tend to pay a premium to keep you. The company I work for outsourced a lot of their unskilled work to Newcastle & Coventry a few years ago cos (a) they can pay less and (b) they don't have to worry about a high turnover of staff.

I'm lucky mind in that I live virtually rent-free in my work location.

http://www.euronics.co.uk/retailer/john-calvert-electrical-ltd-30210a
True mate very true. Not much doing wages wise up here like.
Got to work away to make a few bob.
You would think all the investment in the city there would be lots of jobs. But like the bridge seems to contracted away from the area. Scaffolders Newcastle, main contractor Irish.
So no jobs for un skilled they in Newcastle and Coventry
Local council out sourcing work.
Skilled workers like yourself working away.
Things are bad mate. I never realised.

True mate very true. Not much doing wages wise up here like.
Got to work away to make a few bob.
You would think all the investment in the city there would be lots of jobs. But like the bridge seems to contracted away from the area. Scaffolders Newcastle, main contractor Irish.
So no jobs for un skilled they in Newcastle and Coventry
Local council out sourcing work.
Skilled workers like yourself working away.
Things are bad mate. I never realised.

The country needs a massive rethink about diversifying wealth. And to get rid of its unhealthy obsession with property wealth. It'll never happen though cos the people who are benefiting from it are the ones who control it.

No...the club do not own the hotel. They no more own the hotel than they own Skibo castle.

The directors of the holdco are Short, Magnusson, Lowes and Byrne by the last accounts. Principal activity is specifically that of a property development company. And then there’s the £14m creditor in the accounts of the hotel company which is most likely the development costs of the site....,

Even if the football club don’t have ownership of the hotel company via direct control, it’s clearly part of Ellis Shorts overall investment in safc.

I worked away and always did that.Feel disloyal shopping elsewhere, especially Tyneside.

The directors of the holdco are Short, Magnusson, Lowes and Byrne by the last accounts. Principal activity is specifically that of a property development company. And then there’s the £14m creditor in the accounts of the hotel company which is most likely the development costs of the site....,

Even if the football club don’t have ownership of the hotel company via direct control, it’s clearly part of Ellis Shorts overall investment in safc.

No...you said it cost the club £15million. It didn’t. You are wrong.

Instead of hurling insults just admit you’re wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back