Joy Division Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

They were giving away commemorative 40year anniversary unknown pleasure t-shirts in manchester city centre yesterday. Pity i couldn't get in in time

It’s true. I’m a massive fan of both but New Order are more me.
Me too. 2 of the best bands ever. Kudos though to NO who kept going with 4 or 5 brilliant albums and loads of great singles. All coming on top of Curtis' death.

Personally I think it was Sumner's genius, channelling all the new dance music he was hearing to come up with something unique.

Me too. 2 of the best bands ever. Kudos though to NO who kept going with 4 or 5 brilliant albums and loads of great singles. All coming on top of Curtis' death.

Personally I think it was Sumner's genius, channelling all the new dance music he was hearing to come up with something unique.

Agreed.

Yep, particularly in the 80s they produced music ahead of the game, and reading the various books, it's the chaos and maybe rob gretton that pushed them further.

Since the 90s and various solo ventures sumner does look to be the innovator of the band. Music complete was a great return to form, although would be great to see hooky back in the fold at some point

I’m not sure that anyone would invest the time required to get into an album like this anymore - music has to be immediate today or it fails
Take Simple Minds as an example ( not that they’re my cup of tea )their first 5 albums completely bombed yet they became massive a few years later - no band would get that kind of time these days
Bowie had nine flop singles before Space Oddity started selling.

Unknown pleasures was one of the top post punk / new wave albums.
Thec blackest and bleakest of the lot.

Like with many others I came to it via the John Peel show.

Quite a few other good 1st or 2nd albums around that time (78 -79 - 80) by newish post punky type bands:-

Wire (Pink Flag / Chairs missing)
Simple Minds (Real to Reel)
Magazine ( Real Life / 2nd Hand Daylight)
Echo and the Bunnymen (Crocodiles)
Ultravox (pre midge) ( ha ha ha)
Psychedelic furs

Probably a fair few others I've omitted - but this lot are all worth listening to..

Last edited:
Yep, particularly in the 80s they produced music ahead of the game, and reading the various books, it's the chaos and maybe rob gretton that pushed them further.

Since the 90s and various solo ventures sumner does look to be the innovator of the band. Music complete was a great return to form, although would be great to see hooky back in the fold at some point
Reading Hooky's New Order book and they never really got on with eachother from about 1985 onwards. So a sacking and a court case later there is absolutely no chance of him playing with them again. It was always a power struggle with him to get his bass on to the records, and watching old live footage on YouTube I'm on Sumners side cos after a while the bass starts to dominate too much and distract from the actual songs.

There were a few Joy Division copycats around at the time.

Like this outfit called Warsaw

I’m not sure that anyone would invest the time required to get into an album like this anymore - music has to be immediate today or it fails
Take Simple Minds as an example ( not that they’re my cup of tea )their first 5 albums completely bombed yet they became massive a few years later - no band would get that kind of time these days
Actually Simple Minds - for all they became a kind of dance-rock stadium band - were pretty original and influential in the beginning.

Their 2nd album Real to Real is as dark as Unknown Pleasures - and just as mysterious and fascinating to listen to.
They went downhill after 1980.

They were obviously influenced by Joy Division if you listen to this track. This album is a must have

Last edited:

Quite a few other good 1st or 2nd albums around that time (78 -79 - 80) by newish post punky type bands:-

Psychedelic furs

Probably a fair few others I've omitted - but this lot are all worth listening to..
+ Scars - Author ! Author !

Reading Hooky's New Order book and they never really got on with eachother from about 1985 onwards. So a sacking and a court case later there is absolutely no chance of him playing with them again. It was always a power struggle with him to get his bass on to the records, and watching old live footage on YouTube I'm on Sumners side cos after a while the bass starts to dominate too much and distract from the actual songs.

I'm into that anarl. Cracking read thus far.

Psychedelic furs

You could add The Cure's first two to that list as well.

Actually Simple Minds - for all they became a kind of dance-rock stadium band - were pretty original and influential in the beginning.

Their 2nd album Real to Real is as dark as Unknown Pleasures - and just as mysterious and fascinating to listen to.

They were obviously influenced by Joy Division if you listen to this track. This album is a must have

Simple Minds seemed to change musical direction with every release before they settled on godawful stadium rock in 1983.

Agree about Real to Real. Side 2 on the vinyl is the best stuff they ever did.

Last edited:
Hook was a bit of a plonker by many accounts .
I was in Mancs at Uni in 82-83.
I recall a mate of mine being in a club ( can't recall which one - not the Hacienda tho ) & seeing Hook harassing the DJ to play New Order tracks

Never heard that to be honest- will YouTube it though

You could add The Cure's first two to that list as well.

Simple Minds seemed to change musical direction with every release before they settled on godawful stadium rock in 1983.

Agree about Real to Real. Side 2 on the vinyl is the best stuff they ever did.
Yes, I got the feeling that was down to Jim Kerr getting a bit carried away with the whole spiritual / trance like sound thing.

If he'd stuck to being a doom laden bastard singing about his upbringing in the Gorbals it would have been better.

Saw him interviewed recently on tv and he seems like a really decent bloke

Last edited:
Hook was a bit of a plonker by many accounts .
I was in Mancs at Uni in 82-83.
I recall a mate of mine being in a club ( can't recall which one - not the Hacienda tho ) & seeing Hook harassing the DJ to play New Order tracks

Never heard that to be honest- will YouTube it though

Yes, I got the feeling that was down to Jim Kerr getting a bit carried away with the whole spiritual / trance like sound thing.

If he'd stuck to being a doom laden bastard singing about his upbringing in the Gorbals it would have been better.

Saw him interviewed recently on tv and he seems like a really decent bloke

Love a bit of new gold dream

There were a few Joy Division copycats around at the time.

Like this outfit called Warsaw

Empires and Dance is still one of my favourite albums - I thought they were brilliant right up to (and including) Love Song, but they left me cold after that point

Still one of my favourite albums of all time - I'm almost glad that they disappeared without trace for the next 30 years - it would have been impossible to follow up such a great album

Last edited:
Empires and Dance is still one of my favourite albums - I thought they were brilliant right up to (and including) Love Song, but they left me cold after that point

Yes I was quite into the I travel / Empires phase (1980?)
Seem to remember thete wasz another album released alongside Empires ... Sister Feelings Call ?

Some strange lyrics Kerr was coming up with at that point .

Yes I was quite into the I travel / Empires phase (1980?)
Seem to remember thete wasz another album released alongside Empires ... Sister Feelings Call ?

Some strange lyrics Kerr was coming up with at that point .

Sister Feelings Call was a free LP given away initially with the 1981 album Sons and Fascination. Its standout track is the brilliant instrumental 'Theme for Great Cities'

Bought it from Callers in Newcastle for £3.98 on the day it was released...Happy days.

Ultravox was a band from 77-79 that produced 3 great albums

...sadly now remembered for the the Midge Ure pop incarnation of later on.

The original Jon Foxx band was a forerunner of UK electronic rock. This version of Hiroshima mon amour is possibly my favourite track of theirs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back