Joy Division Fans

I know how much you love Closer
I spent many years between the two never really being able to decide which was better

Closer was a beautiful album, more polished and crafted, but Unknown Pleasures was like nothing that came before or after - it probably took me 6 to 9 months to get it - but when I did, it was almost like all the doors and windows suddenly opened and they were never going to close again

It’s an album that has always had a profound effect on me

Same. There's a drive and zeal on Unknown Pleasures that isn't on Closer, for me. Indicative of the time and place but simultaneously timeless.
Closer took the longer for me to get into of the two and I still think parts of it are overproduced in a way the debut never is.

If you read the lyrics closely, I'm not sure they are particularly upbeat. "All she asks is the strength to hold me, then again the same old story, word will travel oh so quickly..." The tone of the track is quite upbeat though which is an interesting contrast.

The only Joy Division song that I know wasn't written by Ian is 'Novelty', that was by Peter.
Aye but in contrast to closer it’s like its raining men.

Same. There's a drive and zeal on Unknown Pleasures that isn't on Closer, for me. Indicative of the time and place but simultaneously timeless.
Closer took the longer for me to get into of the two and I still think parts of it are overproduced in a way the debut never is.
It’s like a suicide note.

I much prefer Closer.

Going to see Peter Hook perform Joy Division with the Camerata Orchestra at the Royal Albert Hall. Could be decent but I think there is a good chance of it being shite.

I remember asking my sister to pick up the LP from HMV in Sunderland in January 1980 as I'd heard it was in the sale. It was the archetypal......'First listen didn't get it....then over time I pretty much wore it out' album. I don't wish to sound like a coffin dodger but I hope that some youngster has the same experience with an album and then gets into non-mainstream music for the rest of their life. I genuinely feel sorry for those who only experience 'popular' music.

I feel dreadfully old.

Seems a common theme that joy divisions music came up on the rails for most listeners rather than it being instant. I'd certainly agree. The most rewarding records tend to be like that tbf.

I remember asking my sister to pick up the LP from HMV in Sunderland in January 1980 as I'd heard it was in the sale. It was the archetypal......'First listen didn't get it....then over time I pretty much wore it out' album. I don't wish to sound like a coffin dodger but I hope that some youngster has the same experience with an album and then gets into non-mainstream music for the rest of their life. I genuinely feel sorry for those who only experience 'popular' music.

I feel dreadfully old.
I’m not sure that anyone would invest the time required to get into an album like this anymore - music has to be immediate today or it fails
Take Simple Minds as an example ( not that they’re my cup of tea )their first 5 albums completely bombed yet they became massive a few years later - no band would get that kind of time these days

I much prefer Closer.

Going to see Peter Hook perform Joy Division with the Camerata Orchestra at the Royal Albert Hall. Could be decent but I think there is a good chance of it being shite.
I’m going to that!

Need to get tickets for Hooky in sept too just waiting for the fixtures to come out.

Can’t understand people liking closer over unknown pleasures like. Closer is dark as fuck and an awful listen when you think what transpired.

Was actually thinking though when was ceremony written and how much of it was by Ian? If it was around the time of closer it was lyrically a lot more upbeat. Would have been interesting to see how Joy Division would have developed if he hadn’t did what he did. Such as shame there’s such little of theirs to listen to. I absolutely love them me.
I heard that album first and I was way into it before I heard UP. I think it’s a thing of beauty......used to listen to it in my room every night in the dark. I think I was 17.....

Last edited:
I’m going to that!

Need to get tickets for Hooky in sept too just waiting for the fixtures to come out.

I heard that album first and I was way into it before I heard UP. I think it’s a thing of beauty......used to listen to it in my room every night in the dark. I think I was 17.....

I forgot I was going until the tickets arrived. It should be interesting enough and I love the venue if nowt else.

Tangential to the OP but their cover of Sister Ray is still absolute quality

"Should hear our version of Louie Louie!"

Was actually thinking though when was ceremony written and how much of it was by Ian? If it was around the time of closer it was lyrically a lot more upbeat.

'Ceremony' was still a work in progress when they played their final gigs. I agree that it was more lyrically upbeat...something you most certainly couldnt accuse the other unfinished track 'In a Lonely Place' of being.

Last edited:
I much prefer Closer.

My friend's company are doing the lighting and floor show for the Hacienda Joy Division tour. As well as the Royal Albert Hall they're doing a few nights in the Sydney Opera House, amongst other places. The jammy bugger!

Marquee Moon?

I don't know if JD ever acknowledged it, but there's a clear and very strong musical influence of Marquee Moon on Unknown Pleasures.
I bought Unknown Pleasures the day it was released, and turned down the chance to the band shortly before Curtis died, because I couldn't be arsed and thought there'd always be a next time...

My friend's company are doing the lighting and floor show for the Hacienda Joy Division tour. As well as the Royal Albert Hall they're doing a few nights in the Sydney Opera House, amongst other places. The jammy bugger!

Some job that. The Opera House is great. Not been to a gig there but it is pretty impressive. Not a bad city either.......

I don't know if JD ever acknowledged it, but there's a clear and very strong musical influence of Marquee Moon on Unknown Pleasures.

Probably. Of course it was Martin Hannett who created the sound as much as anyone, they took a massive leap when he came in. There's a big mix of influences on UP, Ian had his literary bent whilst Hook just wanted to sound like Iggy or the Stranglers. There's even the northern soul riff on Interzone.

Hannett called them the perfect band to work with because they didn't know what they were doing at first. He could mould his own ideas into them easily.

Last edited:
"Should hear our version of Louie Louie!"

'Ceremony' was still a work in progress when they played their final gigs. I agree that it was more lyrically upbeat...something you most certainly couldnt accuse the other unfinished track 'In a Lonely Place' of being.

Curtis singing 'Louie Louie' with Jon the Postman is probably the single gig performance I would have wanted to see.

The full JD demo of In a Lonely Place was given a very limited release on vinyl a few years ago. There's a few versions, one of them appeared on the Heart and Soul box set with the final verse removed. No ambiguity at all with what it's about.

It's still sad. Everyone who knew him says it was the medication for his epileptic fits that killed him.

Back