Joy Division Fans

Ultravox was a band from 77-79 that produced 3 great albums

...sadly now remembered for the the Midge Ure pop incarnation of later on.

The original Jon Foxx band was a forerunner of UK electronic rock. This version of Hiroshima mon amour is possibly my favourite track of theirs

John Foxx should have been massive - Numan got on to Toppy first and the rest is history

There were a few Joy Division copycats around at the time.

Like this outfit called Warsaw

Actually Simple Minds - for all they became a kind of dance-rock stadium band - were pretty original and influential in the beginning.

Their 2nd album Real to Real is as dark as Unknown Pleasures - and just as mysterious and fascinating to listen to.
They went downhill after 1980.

They were obviously influenced by Joy Division if you listen to this track. This album is a must have

Warsaw are Joy Division before they changed their name to Joy Dvision.

They originally, when sat in a pub discussing names, wanted to call themselves Khamir Rouge, but thought better of it.

They originally, when sat in a pub discussing names, wanted to call themselves Khamir Rouge, but thought better of it.
Yeah I know

There were theories bandied about in the early 80s that the band were some kind of Nazi influenced nut jobs.

Not true of course.

Warsaws EP appeared to reference German atrocities / concentration camps.
And Joy Division , New Order both kind of have nazi / German ww2 connotations to them.

Yeah I know

There were theories bandied about in the early 80s that the band were some kind of Nazi influenced nut jobs.

Not true of course.

And Joy Division , New Order both kind of have nazi / German ww2 connotations to them.

It doesn't get much grimmer than this track ......

Joy Division took their name from the novel "The House Of Dolls" about the horrors committed by the nazis. "The House Of Dolls" is about 'Joy Division' - Jewish women in concetration camps who were made into sex slaves for the pleasure of Nazi soldiers.

The spoken part from 'No Love Lost' is taken directly from the book.

Last edited:
Yeah I know

Not true of course.

It doesn't get much grimmer than this track ......

Joy Division took their name from the novel "The House Of Dolls" about the horrors committed by the nazis. "The House Of Dolls" is about 'Joy Division' - Jewish women in concetration camps who were made into sex slaves for the pleasure of Nazi soldiers.

Oi slim we might have our differences politically but you are spot on in this thread.:cool:

:lol: I just picked what I was listening to, had no idea tbh. Mate is seeing them tonight iirc. No support. 2 1.5 hour sets...that's 3 songs then!
Didnt realise they were still going - must've been around for almost as long as the Stones...

Getting back to the original post..

Surely the best Joy Division track of all ...?

Last edited:
:lol: I just picked what I was listening to, had no idea tbh. Mate is seeing them tonight iirc. No support. 2 1.5 hour sets...that's 3 songs then!
I was never that into them back in the day, but In The Court of The Crimson King is regarded as a bit of a ground breaker.
21st Century Schizoid Man and Epitaph two great tracks.

40 years this week since Are Friends Electric went to number one
No-one saw that coming at all
I reckon Foxx would have been a megastar if Numan hadn’t beaten him to the punch

I think comparisons are difficult as Numan basically created a Krafwerk robotic type figure singing stuff about robots

- it kind of appealed to the masses more on a populist level and he marketed himself well.

Foxx was a bit more involved - the songs more opaque and more complex.

Ultravox mk1 probably got lost in the tide of punk as they around from '75 onwards.

By the last album - Systems of Romance - they were heading in a more electronica type direction - but always with guitars at the heart of it.

This was the Ultravox track / album that persuaded Numan/ Tubeway Army to switch from racous guitar to all out synth I believe - from interviews I've seen.

It was actually Bernard who had that book and suggested the title. People always assume it was Ian but it wasn't. It was Bernard who shouted "you all forgot Rudolf Hess" at the Electric Circus as well. The book is factually disputed although prostitution rings did exist there.

Hook wanted to call New Order 'The Witch Doctors of Zimbabwe'.

Back