Jordan Pickford

Sterling is probably another poor game away from being on the front pages with his personal life in the firing line. Pickford doesn’t really have that to worry about even if he blunders.

I agree to an extent though. Pickford isn’t given the credit he deserves for his performances in an England shirt. He’s barely foot a wrong in England colours.

He would get slaughtered by the press if he made a mistake that cost us in a knock-out game like. Being England keeper in a tournament is not a job I'd fancy tbh.

Usually yes, but Neville said after the game something along the lines of that Pickford was the only player on the field that played to the level England needed/deserving of the occasion.
Gary.... "and Jordan, don't let any goals in"
Jordan.... "sure skip, got it, don't let any goals in" :)

Pickford was the only one actively trying to create chances, worrying when you’re a team that’s apparently as good as England and the only player who even remotely looked dangerous against the third worst team in the tournament was our goalkeeper.

Fishing for reaction, surely?
Rice was awful. He appears not to have the ability, intelligence, or both to move the ball forwards.
Compare him to Kante, a real DM, and you see exactly what is lacking in his game. Kante breaks up play (job 1 i guess) but then looks forwards.
Can't apportion total blame to Rice. He is limited at best. The blame sits with Southgate for selecting him.
I appreciate Southgate is a naturally cautious manager but surely, if we are going to win tournaments, that caution has to be applied based upon the opposition. We have a squad not just 11 players. He should have the capability to select a team, a formation and tactics which change depending upon the quality and strengths of the opposition on a given day. He palpably does not. That or he simply does not trust many of the players he has chosen.
I agree. Rice is so defensive Southgate might as well play another "real" centre half and get rid of Rice. He offers nothing to midfield.
Spot on.Rice and Mount should be excelling in the Euro’s if they’re as good as the (London) media would have us believe.The game needed Hendo’s quick,forward passes,and organisational skills.Kane isn’t a leader.Did either fullback get well up the field?
Not sure about that bit mind.

Last edited:
He would get slaughtered by the press if he made a mistake that cost us in a knock-out game like. Being England keeper in a tournament is not a job I'd fancy tbh.
At the minute, all these pundits are being nicey, nice but you can see and feel the pundits are just waiting for a mistake and then they will nail him.. Yet, they have gave Rashford, Sterling and Kane no flak whatsoever despite their poor performances.

At the minute, all these pundits are being nicey, nice but you can see and feel the pundits are just waiting for a mistake and then they will nail him.. Yet, they have gave Rashford, Sterling and Kane no flak whatsoever despite their poor performances.
It does feel like they are desperate to criticise him, last night Dixon had a go at him for not giving the ball quickly to Saka and Pickford picked out a great 60 yard pass to Grealish which created a chance and he said nothing even when the commentator said how good it was to have that delivery.

Back