Jermaine Defoe - Poorest signing in recent memory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aye, worked a treat that this season, the team has played brilliant in the games he's started. Really been a huge help in the games he's started. Won more points stating without him this season than with him.

Changed the game against the mags. Best player last week. But for some reason Allardyce went insane and thought Toivonen was a better option. Even if we play with one striker it's Defoe every day of the week for me

Changed the game against the mags. Best player last week. But for some reason Allardyce went insane and thought Toivonen was a better option. Even if we play with one striker it's Defoe every day of the week for me

We got beat 6-2 last week. And tbf, Collocini changed the Derby. Well three managers (two of whom have HUGE experience) so far have all decided he can't play on his own up front. Even compared to the shit competition we have up front.

Controversial view, but his signing has been a disaster.

Not so much as a player: despite being four years past his (pretty average) best, he's still our best goalscorer and an alright player.

But he turned Poyet's grinding, but solid, team into a complete shambles as Gus fannied about trying to find a way to accommodate him in the side. Convinced if he hadn't signed, we would have ground out a dull survival, Poyet would still be manager and we'd be moving on with a actual philosophy and at least trying to play good football.

Even after Poyet, Advocaat was at a complete loss how to us him, and now Allardyce his.

He's on unspeakable wages, until he's about 63, and three managers in a row have basically admitted there's no way to fit him into our side.

A genuinely, catastrophically awful signing, which we didn't need and didn't fit, which is the biggest shambles of the whole Congerton era of awfulness.
Clownshoes.

We got beat 6-2 last week. And tbf, Collocini changed the Derby. Well three managers (two of whom have HUGE experience) so far have all decided he can't play on his own up front. Even compared to the shit competition we have up front.
Go to bed you are having a nightmare. Nob.

Fair enough, I give up.

He's been an excellent signing.

His seven goals have played a huge role in our massive improvement since January.

I'm glad we're paying him a fortune until he's 36. Especially as he effectively is a bench player now.

Great signing Congers. Good stuff.

Fair enough, I give up.

His seven goals have played a huge role in our massive improvement since January.

I'm glad we're paying him a fortune until he's 36. Especially as he effectively is a bench player now.

Cheers! Now log out and stick your head in the fridge.
Idiot.

Not Defoes fault we conceded 6. He's f***ing class man. Watch his performance against Spurs and tell me he can't play up front on his own. Too many people think he can't play up front alone purely on the basis that he's small

So is that the only option. If we don't have Defoe we HAVE to have Altidore. Maybes we could have just released Altidore to whatever clubs wanted him, on a free, and signed someone we needed? Or just kept Altidore and continued plodding on, as we were, towards survival.
Look, last seasons survival was fact defies goals kept us up. This season who knows! At least we are still playing in the premier league so we still have a chance of staying there. As long as we are not mathematically relegated I for one still have some hope we can stay there. I also believe Defoes goals could keep us there.

I disagree that his goals "kept us up". They helped, but he wasn't a saviour. He didn't come in and go on a great run. He scored a couple, and a worldy we'll never forget against the Scum.

I disagree that Poyets side was falling apart. We weren't great, but we were still solid and ticking by. He had no clue how to use Defoe, nor does Allardyce or Advocaat. Poyet tried shoehorning him in, and we just fell apart. We went from being boring but tough to beat to just being shit.

And just because he was traded for a player who couldn't get in the team means nothing - Defoe can't get in the team. We're basically a 33 year old £80k a week to be a better class of sub than Altidore.

Factually the goals he scored earned us points that kept us up.

And look back at the shit which was happening when he turned up. Poyets was experimenting at the time as our strong defence was waning and we couldn't score goals. He'd already tried to introduce alvarez and it left us exposed down the right. Wed stopped scoring goals almost completely and won one game in 13 and one game in just over two months whe defoe arrived.

Look, last seasons survival was fact defies goals kept us up. This season who knows! At least we are still playing in the premier league so we still have a chance of staying there. As long as we are not mathematically relegated I for one still have some hope we can stay there. I also believe Defoes goals could keep us there.

Survival was fact, I think we would have stayed up without Defoe's goals tbh but suppose that's opinion.

I hope you're right, and we find somewhere to fit him in and he goes on a run to keep us up. I genuinely do. I think if we could find a way to fit him in he'd score ten go a or so a season, which is an alright return for the likes of us.

I just don't see where he fits in.

Fair enough, I give up.

How can you possibly say that Defoe has been a worse signing than Rodwell though? Even Rodwells dad couldn't argue that case

I can understand that view, even if I don't quite agree with it.

Not much use if he doesn't actually fit anywhere in our team though is it?
Not much use possibly

But it's a sad situation when our best player can't play because he looks best in a 442 and when we pick only 4 players in midfield they aren't good enough to stop the opposition scoring 6 goals

He played well at Everton, scored a class goal and got dropped because his team mates are shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back