Jermaine Defoe - Poorest signing in recent memory

Status
Not open for further replies.
:lol:

Rather than insults, any semblance of an argument? Debate? Reasoning?

If I'm talking such shit, surely you should be able to make me look a fool without insults.
I think you're doing a good job of that on your own Marra. You can't argue with the facts.

Sorry, meant let him go elsewhere for no fee, or minimal fee. In other words, just take the loss.

You get nothing for that though. In this case we got a proven goalscorer, albeit one we have a bit of difficulty accommodating.

I think it's absurd to be honest he's coming in for criticism though when we have dross like toivonen starting before him, who might have a nice touch on the rare occasion he finds some space, but mostly is as much out of his depth as the likes of tommy miller, Andy gray, Kevin kyle etc.

He makes Danny graham look mobile ffs.

Factually the goals he scored earned us points that kept us up.

And look back at the shit which was happening when he turned up. Poyets was experimenting at the time as our strong defence was waning and we couldn't score goals. He'd already tried to introduce alvarez and it left us exposed down the right. Wed stopped scoring goals almost completely and not won a league game in over two months before defoe arrived.

Factually the goals Rodwell scored did, and he denied Hull points.

We won a league game (Mags) just under a month before Defoes first game. We scored in four of our previous six matches before he signed (including two at Man City two matches before), and Alvarez had started two league games last season before Defoe signed (one of which was his debut in September, the other was boxing day). In the ten games before his signing, we conceded twelve goals with five clean sheets. We weren't great. But we were ticking by fine.

Not much use possibly

But it's a sad situation when our best player can't play because he looks best in a 442 and when we pick only 4 players in midfield they aren't good enough to stop the opposition scoring 6 goals

He played well at Everton, scored a class goal and got dropped because his team mates are shit
I would suggest that it's the inadequacies of the rest of the team that means we can't play Defoe. It's a catch 22 situation.

Not true. There's some truth in thinking we've found it hard to accommodate him, but then we continue to play others who are more hamstrung with their attributes and ability anyway.

Poyets side was falling apart before defoe arrived. Defoe was panic brought on by Poyets side gradually getting worse as the defensive stability crumbled when it couldn't score goals and confidence left it as a result.

The idea he's been this poor signing given the goals last season kept us up and he was traded for a player who couldn't get into the team is f***ing nonsense.

Indeed. We continue to play Fletcher as a target man when in reality we rarely knock crosses into the box, he's as soft as shite and he rarely holds the ball up. Why not change the dynamic and throw balls into space for Defoe to run on to?

You get nothing for that though. In this case we got a proven goalscorer, albeit one we have a bit of difficulty accommodating.

I think it's absurd to be honest he's coming in for criticism though when we have dross like toivonen starting before him, who might have a nice touch on the rare occasion he finds some space, but mostly is as much out of his depth as the likes of tommy miller, Andy gray, Kevin kyle etc.

He makes Danny graham look mobile ffs.

My point is, what's the point in trading for someone we didn't need just to say "we got something".

And yeah, it wasn't so much a have a go at Defoe himself thing. As a player, he's fine and he's a better goalscorer than the rest. He always grafts, which is always appreciated.

It's more a moan about the chaos, in my opinion, his signing has caused and the utter confusion he has now caused three managers.

And agree about Toivonen, who's a f***ing dreadful effort of a player and should be nowhere near the PL.

I would suggest that it's the inadequacies of the rest of the team that means we can't play Defoe. It's a catch 22 situation.

Well yes, and that's not Defoe's fault.

But why the fuck did we sign him when it was obvious we had no way of fitting him into the side. Plenty of folk on here mentioned it on his signing tbf. It wasn't f***ing rocket science.

My point is, what's the point in trading for someone we didn't need just to say "we got something".

And yeah, it wasn't so much a have a go at Defoe himself thing. As a player, he's fine and he's a better goalscorer than the rest. He always grafts, which is always appreciated.

It's more a moan about the chaos, in my opinion, his signing has caused and the utter confusion he has now caused three managers.

And agree about Toivonen, who's a f***ing dreadful effort of a player and should be nowhere near the PL.

Well yes, and that's not Defoe's fault.

But why the fuck did we sign him when it was obvious we had no way of fitting him into the side. Plenty of folk on here mentioned it on his signing tbf. It wasn't f***ing rocket science.
He was signed last season. Last season his goals kept us up. Result! We are where we are this season, you can't possibly blame Defoe for our current league position. Just let it go man!

He was signed last season. Last season his goals kept us up. Result! We are where we are this season, you can't possibly blame Defoe for our current league position. Just let it go man!

I don't believe they did keep us up, they contributed. But I believe that, last season, we'd have finished better without him and Poyet would still be our manager now.

I'm in possibly the smallest minority ever, I do concede that :lol:

I don't believe they did keep us up, they contributed. But I believe that, last season, we'd have finished better without him and Poyet would still be our manager now.

I'm in possibly the smallest minority ever, I do concede that :lol:
Poyet was a disaster as demonstrated by the queue of premier league clubs to make him their next manager :D

Controversial view, but his signing has been a disaster.

Not so much as a player: despite being four years past his (pretty average) best, he's still our best goalscorer and an alright player.

But he turned Poyet's grinding, but solid, team into a complete shambles as Gus fannied about trying to find a way to accommodate him in the side. Convinced if he hadn't signed, we would have ground out a dull survival, Poyet would still be manager and we'd be moving on with a actual philosophy and at least trying to play good football.

Even after Poyet, Advocaat was at a complete loss how to us him, and now Allardyce his.

He's on unspeakable wages, until he's about 63, and three managers in a row have basically admitted there's no way to fit him into our side.

A genuinely, catastrophically awful signing, which we didn't need and didn't fit, which is the biggest shambles of the whole Congerton era of awfulness.
Wtf have u only been following Safc for 1 season?

I think he's been decent. Of all the shite players we've signed, I'm surprised you picked Defoe as the worst.

He should have started today.
This. We swapped him for fuckin altidore man !

This. We swapped him for fuckin altidore man !
This is it. Saying it's a bad signing is all well and good. But in context, in the window, we saw an opportunity to get rid of a terrible player and took it to bring in one who could help. If managers couldn't find a place for him, that's their failing, if Sam can get rid of him in January (which I think is highly likely) then that's up to him.

It's also fine going on about these apparently astronomical wages, I don't know how the OP knows what wages Defoe is on, but you have to think of it as a deal. We didn't pay a fee, we don't know what kind of pay off Toronto gave him, but the chances are he's on maybe 20k a week more than Antiscore was, which I think is a fair price to pay considering what he's added to the team. Even if what he's added isn't as much as the OP thinks he's capable of, it's better than nothing.

I can understand that view, even if I don't quite agree with it.

Not much use if he doesn't actually fit anywhere in our team though is it?
I sort of see where you're coming from, however surely a player of his quality is worth keeping & bring in players in jan to allow him more freedom upfront etc?

Not so much as a player: despite being four years past his (pretty average) best, he's still our best goalscorer and an alright player.

But he turned Poyet's grinding, but solid, team into a complete shambles as Gus fannied about trying to find a way to accommodate him in the side. Convinced if he hadn't signed, we would have ground out a dull survival, Poyet would still be manager and we'd be moving on with a actual philosophy and at least trying to play good football.

Even after Poyet, Advocaat was at a complete loss how to us him, and now Allardyce his.

He's on unspeakable wages, until he's about 63, and three managers in a row have basically admitted there's no way to fit him into our side.

A genuinely, catastrophically awful signing, which we didn't need and didn't fit, which is the biggest shambles of the whole Congerton era of awfulness.
You are a clown

If the FAQs for this site need an answer to the question, "Do people ever traffic in hyperbole on PF?" ^^^ this needs to be the example. Fuck's sake man.

Op makes a dick of himself by claiming our top scorer ( who has been on the bench for the last few games ) is our worst signing ?
The lunatics have well & truly been let loose :oops:

Op makes a dick of himself by claiming our top scorer ( who has been on the bench for the last few games ) is our worst signing ?
The lunatics have well & truly been let loose :oops:

I wasn't talking about Fletcher mate.

Defoe is the most intelligent footballer we have, with and without the ball. Defoe should have started the game instead of Ola and played him in his position just in front of holding midfielders and supporting fletch when we are on attack. Ola has been poor the last few games he has played. I still don't know what he offers the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back