Jermaine Defoe - Poorest signing in recent memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

get him in the box with some decent ball and he will score so will the sweaty just crap delivery
shocking today mind the number of times we gave the ball away couldn't pass the ball pointless lumping it up to fletch nobody there and didn't win the header

Defoe is our top scorer mate :oops:
Time for bed kidda

He's not in the league mate.

How does the OP recover from this ?

What do you mean "recover"?

Nobody has still pointed out how he's improved the team, how we've got any better since he signed, or why if he's so amazing does he spend so long on the bench.

I accept it's not a popular view, and the title is probably phrased poorly. But lots of people have just abused without really understanding the points made.

Nobody has still pointed out how he's improved the team, how we've got any better since he signed, or why if he's so amazing does he spend so long on the bench.

I accept it's not a popular view, and the title is probably phrased poorly. But lots of people have just abused without really understanding the points made.
Not in the league ?
So fuck - still our top scorer
You've embarrassed yourself by singling out our top scorer as the worst signing ?
Please log off you clown

Give owa he's the best striker we've got, clearly coming in and being owa best striker is an improvement

Aye, he won us three points. Without them, we'd have been level with Hull and gone down on goal difference. Assuming that somebody wouldn't have nicked the goals he got, or not derailed the side the way he has.
He won us a lot more than 3 points. How thick can you get?! Did his goals v Swansea, Everton & Burnley last season not also help keep us up?

Controversial view, but his signing has been a disaster.

Not so much as a player: despite being four years past his (pretty average) best, he's still our best goalscorer and an alright player.

But he turned Poyet's grinding, but solid, team into a complete shambles as Gus fannied about trying to find a way to accommodate him in the side. Convinced if he hadn't signed, we would have ground out a dull survival, Poyet would still be manager and we'd be moving on with a actual philosophy and at least trying to play good football.

Even after Poyet, Advocaat was at a complete loss how to us him, and now Allardyce his.

He's on unspeakable wages, until he's about 63, and three managers in a row have basically admitted there's no way to fit him into our side.

A genuinely, catastrophically awful signing, which we didn't need and didn't fit, which is the biggest shambles of the whole Congerton era of awfulness.
The alternative was fitting Altidore into the side.
Whichever way you look at it, Defoe has chipped in with a few important goals. He's a finisher in a team that can't finish, that's why managers try to fit him in.

We got beat 6-2 last week. And tbf, Collocini changed the Derby. Well three managers (two of whom have HUGE experience) so far have all decided he can't play on his own up front. Even compared to the shit competition we have up front.

even Connor couldn't play up front in this team, little or large neither works...

We got beat 6-2 last week. And tbf, Collocini changed the Derby. Well three managers (two of whom have HUGE experience) so far have all decided he can't play on his own up front. Even compared to the shit competition we have up front.

even Connor couldn't play up front in this team, little or large neither works...

Controversial view, but his signing has been a disaster.

Not so much as a player: despite being four years past his (pretty average) best, he's still our best goalscorer and an alright player.

But he turned Poyet's grinding, but solid, team into a complete shambles as Gus fannied about trying to find a way to accommodate him in the side. Convinced if he hadn't signed, we would have ground out a dull survival, Poyet would still be manager and we'd be moving on with a actual philosophy and at least trying to play good football.

Even after Poyet, Advocaat was at a complete loss how to us him, and now Allardyce his.

He's on unspeakable wages, until he's about 63, and three managers in a row have basically admitted there's no way to fit him into our side.

A genuinely, catastrophically awful signing, which we didn't need and didn't fit, which is the biggest shambles of the whole Congerton era of awfulness.

There's a shred of truth in this.

Defoe will receive nigh on £10m seeing his contract out on the bench. We don't have a position for him and didn't when we signed him.

In keeping with the controversial theme, IMO it was Congerton's way of getting the fans back on his side. Get rid of the hate figure for a Premier League favourite. Congerton doesn't care if he's what we need, how old he is or how much he's on. The deal was by Congerton, for Congerton.

I think the OP has gone a little overboard with the thread title, but I completely agree with the sentiment. There's absolutely no way to get him in the team without either playing him out of position or sacrificing our already fragile midfield; all this for a bloke who's 33 and probably on upwards of 70k p/w.

And while he might be our best goalscorer, let's not forget some of the absolutely criminal chances he's missed in his time here. I said it all summer that I wanted us to sell him and bring in someone who would fit the way we play, but instead we're lumbered with a player we can't possibly get the best out of. Like everything SAFC related these days, it's a shambles.

I'd probably say swapping him for Altidore might just make Defoe the best signing in the past few years

You're totally ignoring the fact that the deal itself (will) cost us about £15m. I like Defoe and I've got no complaints about his form, fitness or attitude since we signed him but the OP has a point......it was not a well thought out signing.

The worst signing(s) we've made by far was the two f***ing clowns responsible for player recruitment since we started this DOF fiasco. They've done it again this summer.......the two biggest signings totalling about £23m...both play essentially the same role and we had a kid from non-league football doing the job yesterday while they sat on the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back