Jermaine Defoe - Poorest signing in recent memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defoe is class, gets into some excellent positions. If he had been brought on 10 minutes earlier today, he probably would have scored.

Get a grip man, he was bought as a goal scorer and that's what he's done. You've got to look at the other 10 players before criticising Defoe.

He's scored 7 goals in 24 starts, which isis alright ratio, one every 3.5 games. Works out at about 11 goals for the season.

Of his goals, two have come in heavy defeats, two have been clinchers in 2-0 wins, two have been our goals in 1-1 draws and one has been a winner. SoSo, factually, he's earn us 4 points with his goals, maybes six if we say one of his clinchers was the difference.

Not a huge amount, considering the disruption he's caused.

I don't think it's his fault he's being paid he's being paid, I think there are arguements on both sides, sometimes, I don't think today was a sometimes arguement. At Everton him and Fletcher did canny, for me they weren't responsible for it being 6, but they seemed to have paid the price. I hope the Everton 6-2 isn't Gus's 8-0 in terms of how we play.

Well yeah, it isn't his fault. But he's been a poor signing, and reflects dreadfully on Congertons running of the football business.

Wasn't needed, didn't fit, past his best and on shitloads.

Bring him in lads. Just what we need.

He's scored 7 goals in 24 starts, which isis alright ratio, one every 3.5 games. Works out at about 11 goals for the season.

Of his goals, two have come in heavy defeats, two have been clinchers in 2-0 wins, two have been our goals in 1-1 draws and one has been a winner. SoSo, factually, he's earn us 4 points with his goals, maybes six if we say one of his clinchers was the difference.

Well yeah, it isn't his fault. But he's been a poor signing, and reflects dreadfully on Congertons running of the football business.

But then you could saybdid we not give him the chance to fit us, I think we have bigger problems than Defoe.

Last edited:

Ok then if it wasn't for his goals last season we would have bee in the championship this season. Is that simple enough for you.

Ok then if it wasn't for his goals last season we would have bee in the championship this season. Is that simple enough for you.

I disagree. He scored four goals. One more than Wickham. Defoe was canny but he wasn't a saviour who carried us to survival.

I actually think, without his signing, we'd have collected more points and Poyet would still be manager. We'll never know of course, but I think our team has got a lot worse since we signed Defoe.

Controversial view, but his signing has been a disaster.

Not so much as a player: despite being four years past his (pretty average) best, he's still our best goalscorer and an alright player.

But he turned Poyet's grinding, but solid, team into a complete shambles as Gus fannied about trying to find a way to accommodate him in the side. Convinced if he hadn't signed, we would have ground out a dull survival, Poyet would still be manager and we'd be moving on with a actual philosophy and at least trying to play good football.

Even after Poyet, Advocaat was at a complete loss how to us him, and now Allardyce his.

He's on unspeakable wages, until he's about 63, and three managers in a row have basically admitted there's no way to fit him into our side.

A genuinely, catastrophically awful signing, which we didn't need and didn't fit, which is the biggest shambles of the whole Congerton era of awfulness.

He's got 131 premier league goals according to wikipedia's page of all time top premier league goal scorers. If his career has been average then average doesn't mean what I think it means...

He's caused no disruption. He's the best striker at the club and should be the first name on the teamsheet every week

I disagree. He scored four goals. One more than Wickham. Defoe was canny but he wasn't a saviour who carried us to survival.

I actually think, without his signing, we'd have collected more points and Poyet would still be manager. We'll never know of course, but I think our team has got a lot worse since we signed Defoe.
Aye ok mate. Altidore would have scored those goals to keep us up wouldn't he FFS!

Aye, he won us three points. Without them, we'd have been level with Hull and gone down on goal difference. Assuming that somebody wouldn't have nicked the goals he got, or not derailed the side the way he has.
And the draw in Swansea

To be honest he is a class act and it's not really his fault our team is so crap we create next to no chances most games

Aye ok mate. Altidore would have scored those goals to keep us up wouldn't he FFS!

So is that the only option. If we don't have Defoe we HAVE to have Altidore. Maybes we could have just released Altidore to whatever clubs wanted him, on a free, and signed someone we needed? Or just kept Altidore and continued plodding on, as we were, towards survival.

Not true. There's some truth in thinking we've found it hard to accommodate him, but then we continue to play others who are more hamstrung with their attributes and ability anyway.

Poyets side was falling apart before defoe arrived. Defoe was panic brought on by Poyets side gradually getting worse as the defensive stability crumbled when it couldn't score goals and confidence left it as a result.

The idea he's been this poor signing given the goals last season kept us up and he was traded for a player who couldn't get into the team is f***ing nonsense.

He's caused no disruption. He's the best striker at the club and should be the first name on the teamsheet every week

Aye, worked a treat that this season, the team has played brilliant in the games he's started. Really been a huge help in the games he's started. Won more points stating without him this season than with him.

Not so much as a player: despite being four years past his (pretty average) best, he's still our best goalscorer and an alright player.

But he turned Poyet's grinding, but solid, team into a complete shambles as Gus fannied about trying to find a way to accommodate him in the side. Convinced if he hadn't signed, we would have ground out a dull survival, Poyet would still be manager and we'd be moving on with a actual philosophy and at least trying to play good football.

Even after Poyet, Advocaat was at a complete loss how to us him, and now Allardyce his.

He's on unspeakable wages, until he's about 63, and three managers in a row have basically admitted there's no way to fit him into our side.

A genuinely, catastrophically awful signing, which we didn't need and didn't fit, which is the biggest shambles of the whole Congerton era of awfulness.
I have only one name to remind you before you think anymore you you clueless imbecile.......Jozy Altidore.
Nob.

So is that the only option. If we don't have Defoe we HAVE to have Altidore. Maybes we could have just released Altidore to whatever clubs wanted him, on a free, and signed someone we needed? Or just kept Altidore and continued plodding on, as we were, towards survival.

Released him? You do realise that means paying his contract off, if he even agrees to it?

So what actual benefit is that.

It's worth another comment...........you haven't got a clue you complete and utter cretin.

Not true. There's some truth in thinking we've found it hard to accommodate him, but then we continue to play others who are more hamstrung with their attributes and ability anyway.

Poyets side was falling apart before defoe arrived. Defoe was panic brought on by Poyets side gradually getting worse as the defensive stability crumbled when it couldn't score goals and confidence left it as a result.

The idea he's been this poor signing given the goals last season kept us up and he was traded for a player who couldn't get into the team is f***ing nonsense.

I disagree that his goals "kept us up". They helped, but he wasn't a saviour. He didn't come in and go on a great run. He scored a couple, and a worldy we'll never forget against the Scum.

I disagree that Poyets side was falling apart. We weren't great, but we were still solid and ticking by. He had no clue how to use Defoe, nor does Allardyce or Advocaat. Poyet tried shoehorning him in, and we just fell apart. We went from being boring but tough to beat to just being shit.

And just because he was traded for a player who couldn't get in the team means nothing - Defoe can't get in the team. We're basically a 33 year old £80k a week to be a better class of sub than Altidore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back