Jamaica

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to Ocho Rios in 2010. Loved it. Climbed Dunns River Falls, Seam With Dolphins, went to Bob Marley's childhood home. Went out into the town no bother. The people & street traders do pester you, but not enough to keep you in or spoil it.

Stopped in the Sunset Jamaica Grande, which I think's had a full refurb since. Would love to go back one day.

The drive to 8 mile was class. Just sitting looking outside the window at the countryside.
Then the pleasure of being able to smoke a spliff in Bob Marley's home.

We had no problems, went into Kingston and had a walk around downtown. We had no issues at all. The was one moment we turned a corner and there was a group sitting by a car with music blasting, thought it was going to get a bit hairy, in the end we ended up drinking red stripe with them and dancing in the street.
It's no more dangerous than being at home IMO.

I mean that's simply not true, just look at the murder rate. It's all about timing really.

Am canny soft mind. You might be able to handle it.

Mind I used to work with this little fella who went touring around the island by himself and he survived.

If its a good deal it'll still be worth it. The island is absolutely stunning and absolutely fascinating.

Just do a couple of trips. You'll get bothered still but just by people trying to sell stuff.

Where there's trouble I will find it - having been in jail in Mexico I need to watch it.

Anyone been? Some good deals at Montego Bay - or am I better looking at a different set of islands in the area?
Stunning mate, we stayed in the Hilton Rose hall and can't recommend it enough. Only thing is a lot of the excursion were towards the other side of the island.

Weather was amazing, people were spot on, got a taxi into Montego Bay town and had no bother at all.

Got married in Runaway Bay in 1993 and went back for our 1st anniversary. Might have changed a bit since then but Ocho Rios was so laid back it was horizontal:cool:

"I've just come back from a fortnight in the Caribbean with the mrs"

"Jamaica?"

"No, she wanted to go"

A joke used in 'The Colditz Story' which was made in 1955 a film set during WW2 so the joke is likely even older but well done for originality!

Anyway it's was Richard Wattis:

My wife's gone to the West Indies
Oh, Jamaica?
No, she went of her own accord

Also:

What's that chap got on his head?
That's a Greek urn
What's a Greek urn?
About 2 and 6 a week!

Nearly got conned into selling my silver jewellery, he was only offering one dollar!

I told him "You have to be joking man, it was a present from me ma"

Depends how you do it surely? Did 10 days in Barbados for less than half the price quoted above, albeit in 2009.

You aren't restricted to gated hotels in Barbados.

I went in 2015 and cost me about £750 for the week, and that was when the test match was on. Would have been about £1100 if there'd been two people. I don't do package tours mind, there's always a premium to pay for that.

Mexico is a far better option.

Nicer people... Cheaper and the resorts are of a better standard.

Enjoyed Jamaica but no inkling at all to go back

Mexico is a far better option.

Nicer people... Cheaper and the resorts are of a better standard.

Enjoyed Jamaica but no inkling at all to go back
Close call for me, but the wife was pregnant when we went to Cancun so couldn't do as much. Definitely more closer to the hotels for families.

Lived and worked there for a couple of years... but it was a long time ago. As with most tourist areas in poor countries you will get some sales hassle. Plenty interesting places, depends what you like. Blue mountains interesting. Port Antonio would be my destination or Treasure beach close to where I lived, however you wont get deals to these places.
Best advice..engage with people, dont ignore them. They are fun people generally who love a laugh but many will have a bit of baggage so dont blank them or argue in a serious way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back