Jamaica

Where did you stay?
We were up near Royal Westmorland golf course near holetown and it felt very safe. Wife and bairn felt safe and people stopped and offered lifts as we walked down Porters to get to the beach.
Silver bay/sands? I think it was called, down south on atlantic coast. I wouldnt return with a free flight. Mexico the year later was excellent however that place is now full of scratters now

What a load of shite.
Certainly was Paddy,offered drugs within 10 minutes of walking on the beach. We wondered why it was empty. Then the bastard shell sellers.
Met Eddy Grant though, highlight

Last edited:
Long time ago but we were there in 2004 and walked down and back to Reggae Sumfest in Mo bay about 6 at night and 5 the next morning without any bother. IIRC it was about a 45 min walk and we did go past a fairly big local housing area where some had been offered walking tours where they had been a bit intimidated and "encouraged" to tip generously for the tour. Had no idea it was on when we booked but a cracking night for International night for just over a tenner with Lionel Richie headlining. As said we had no bother just politely refused any offers but always acknowledged them.
Not long back from a cruise down Caribbean and again no bother walking around ashore all 10 or so Islands. In Antigua we were walking up a market street which was teeming with locals and not another white face in view. Some of the bains were staring at us and tugging at Mum to point us out but adults little reaction although plenty nodded or smiled at us.
When ashore at St Lucia we were advised in 2 different places by locals, in a friendly way, not to go any further in that direction as not good up there. One of the fellas had lived in England for a while so had a chat about that and shook hands as we moved on.
Certainly felt more intimidated in UK than I ever have in Caribbean

It's not safe I heard. I hated Barbados though most won't agree with my thoughts

thought barbados was class me like, superb time mixing it up, one night the west coast the next St Lawrence Gap. Locals were spot on.

As for Jamaica we have just booked the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton.

Last edited:
Silver bay/sands? I think it was called, down south on atlantic coast. I wouldnt return with a free flight. Mexico the year later was excellent however that place is now full of scratters now

Certainly was Paddy,offered drugs within 10 minutes of walking on the beach. We wondered why it was empty. Then the bastard shell sellers.
Met Eddy Grant though, highlight
I stayed in Silver Sands but it was quite a while back now. Loved the place. Fantastic reef break just off the shore. I used to get the bus round to Maxwells as well, huge bay, fantastic windsurfing spot. Then up to Oistins for the fish market and a couple of trips to St Lawrence Gap. which is the only place where there were drugs being offered etc.

Back