Is this the correct decision

Status
Not open for further replies.
"The government then denied her naturalisation, saying she was "not assimilated" for avoiding the symbolic ritual"

When did the Borg seize power in France?

It's obviously a stupid rule. Nobody who has lost both hands need apply. I imagine Stephen Hawking would have had some problems too. It'd be interesting if they refused him.

And then there's the ridiculous idea that absolutely every last citizen of a country has to have the same culture and follow the same customs. No room for Glyndebourne and Millwall supporters in the same country?

I'd struggle to get British citizenship because I would probably vomit trying rather than swear allegiance to the queen.

A f***ing handshake man.

Yep. Probably more likely in fairness. I dunno though, do we make people swear an allegiance to Lizzie? I wouldn’t be doing it( quick edit here because I’m a massive hypocrite and think I did when I joined the polis all those years ago- oops). If it’s a genuine thing that she is forbidden to touch another man, yeah it’s stupid but a lot of people place their faith above all else and they should accommodate it.

I don't think any citizen should have to swear allegiance to the Crown (with the exception of roles where such an oath would be suitable). I do, however, think it's reasonable to expect a person to integrate into society.

In my view she isn't forbidden to shake a man's hand by her faith, she's chosen to follow her faith in a way she won't allow herself to shake a man's hand. There is a difference.

Before joining society she is arguably demonstrating that she has no intention of fully joining that society.

When in Rome and all that.

No they haven't, the handshake is a standard greeting in French culture - 'de riguer' so to speak. i think they're exactly right, if she's prepared to compromise her citizenship over such a thing it shows where her true allegiance lies.
If they're prepared to fuck up somebody's life who has done nothing to hurt them you perhaps wouldn't blame her, however, she has shown where it really lies by marrying a French man and trying to get French citizenship.

Jesus there are some f***ing screwed up opinions on here these days.

"The government then denied her naturalisation, saying she was "not assimilated" for avoiding the symbolic ritual"

It's obviously a stupid rule. Nobody who has lost both hands need apply. I imagine Stephen Hawking would have had some problems too. It'd be interesting if they refused him.

And then there's the ridiculous idea that absolutely every last citizen of a country has to have the same culture and follow the same customs. No room for Glyndebourne and Millwall supporters in the same country?

I'd struggle to get British citizenship because I would probably vomit trying rather than swear allegiance to the queen.

A f***ing handshake man.

Might not be a popular view but one I share mate. Dunno if that's strengthened your position mind ;)

I don't think any citizen should have to swear allegiance to the Crown (with the exception of roles where such an oath would be suitable). I do, however, think it's reasonable to expect a person to integrate into society.

In my view she isn't forbidden to shake a man's hand by her faith, she's chosen to follow her faith in a way she won't allow herself to shake a man's hand. There is a difference.

Before joining society she is arguably demonstrating that she has no intention of fully joining that society.

When in Rome and all that.

It's a strange one.Whilst I do agree with most of that post. It's only a handshake. She should have have done it. But saying that I wouldn't bar them for citizenship on those grounds. Where do we draw the line?

Last edited:
If they're prepared to fuck up somebody's life who has done nothing to hurt them you perhaps wouldn't blame her, however, she has shown where it really lies by marrying a French man and trying to get French citizenship.

Jesus there are some f***ing screwed up opinions on here these days.
Aye, yours.

I do, however, think it's reasonable to expect a person to integrate into society.
But what do you really mean by that? Don't most people just live their own lives and let others get on with theirs? There might be many reasons why somebody wouldn't want to shake hands, I won't even mention Trump's germ paranoia, and some people, proper white Anglo Saxon English people, completely isolate themselves without causing any bother. Why is there such a big deal over a handshake?

Last edited:

A f***ing handshake man.
Is it wrong that I had (have) a crush on the Borg Queen :oops::lol:

If she doesn’t like it then she can fuck off to somewhere more in tune with her “religious beliefs”.

If this offends anyone on here I couldn’t give a shit.

It’s alright for hardcore Muslims to do what they want when they move to the West, but if I turned up at Mecca in shorts carrying a can of beer, they’d have a bit of a twist

If this offends anyone on here I couldn’t give a shit.
Even your Newcastle breweries avatar is offensive.

It’s alright for hardcore Muslims to do what they want when they move to the West, but if I turned up at Mecca in shorts carrying a can of beer, they’d have a bit of a twist
And if course that's what makes it better living in a free democracy than a medieval theocracy.

It's probably because you're allowed to "do what you want" here that she wants to move.

Last edited:
No they haven't, the handshake is a standard greeting in French culture - 'de riguer' so to speak. i think they're exactly right, if she's prepared to compromise her citizenship over such a thing it shows where her true allegiance lies.

I see that it is part of their culture but I mean incorporated it into the citizenship process.

But what do you really mean by that? Don't most people just live their own lives and let others get on with theirs? There might be many reasons why somebody wouldn't want to shake hands, I won't even mention Trump's germ paranoia, and some people, proper white Anglo Saxon English people, completely isolate themselves without causing any bother. Why is there such a big deal over a handshake?

fair points. however she didn't refuse to shake hands because of germ paranoia, or because she didn't like that particular person. she refused because of her religion. it might be her priority, but it isn't the priority or responsibility of a foreign state or society to embrace it.

fair points. however she didn't refuse to shake hands because of germ paranoia, or because she didn't like that particular person. she refused because of her religion. it might be her priority, but it isn't the priority or responsibility of a foreign state or society to embrace it.
What does it matter to the state why she refused? Would they refuse Trump because he obviously thinks they're all too dirty? I'm guessing not.

In fact I wonder how this scenario really happened. Did she really make a big deal about it being a religious thing, or was she refused on other grounds and the report has singled this out? The fella held his hand out, she left him hanging, and he took personal offence? We need a few more details. This may have been a fake marriage of convenience.

Either way, France is in danger of just making itself look as oppressive as the religion they're supposedly against.

Yep. Probably more likely in fairness. I dunno though, do we make people swear an allegiance to Lizzie? I wouldn’t be doing it( quick edit here because I’m a massive hypocrite and think I did when I joined the polis all those years ago- oops). If it’s a genuine thing that she is forbidden to touch another man, yeah it’s stupid but a lot of people place their faith above all else and they should accommodate it.

See above. I think if we looked back in history and saw this as a “thing” in the Middle Ages, we’d say yeah, well, we’re a bit more enlightened now.
Including placing it above obeying the law of the country they live in? Should they accomodate that?

Sorry, the law forcing you to shake hands with somebody you don't want to? Which one's that?
Maybe that law, maybe other laws. Do they get to pick and choose which laws to obey? How about the law making it illegal to kill apostates or the disabled (cos they're possessed by the devil, natch, or are just evil in general), should they be exempt from those laws?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back