Is this the correct decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

I’ve heard of a case in a local pharmacy where a female student pharmacist on work experience refused to shake hands with the male pharmacist. Actually, in his case, I think that I would support the student!

It's kind of a ridiculous custom anyway. What if you have decided you don't like the other person ? What if they only have one arm and you don't want to shake their wanking hand ?

Surely the whole point of moving to a new country is to take on both the nationality and social norms of that country.
If your going to object to aspects of that countries customs, perhaps that country isn't the place for you to settle....And vice versa if people want to settle in Muslim countries for example
Also all religions are bollocks so shouldn't be used as an excuse

The lady may be denying herself an incredibly valuable citizenship for the sake of pettiness. ;)

Yep. Probably more likely in fairness. I dunno though, do we make people swear an allegiance to Lizzie? I wouldn’t be doing it( quick edit here because I’m a massive hypocrite and think I did when I joined the polis all those years ago- oops). If it’s a genuine thing that she is forbidden to touch another man, yeah it’s stupid but a lot of people place their faith above all else and they should accommodate it.

Surely this incredibly valuable person is denying them selves from becoming a National Asset by refusing to tolerate that Nations culture for the sake of their own pettiness?

See above. I think if we looked back in history and saw this as a “thing” in the Middle Ages, we’d say yeah, well, we’re a bit more enlightened now.

Last edited by a moderator:
She’ll probably come here instead which I imagine will nark some more than the no handshaking thing.

My reasonable head says they have included the handshaking thing to exclude Muslims.
My atheist head says religion is a load of smeg so tough shit.
No they haven't, the handshake is a standard greeting in French culture - 'de riguer' so to speak. i think they're exactly right, if she's prepared to compromise her citizenship over such a thing it shows where her true allegiance lies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back