IPL 2020

I was thinking about where they could set up more teams last night thanks to Harrogate Mackem’s post (sad I know :lol:) Pune, Ahmedabad and Kochi all used to have teams at one point so could bring them back, then maybe one based at Kanpur or the new ground at Lucknow
Problem is that each team you bring in adds at least 8 games, as they don't show games at the same time that's adding 8 days to the tournament (assuming they can't stagger them in different time zones). if they could do it I'm sure the BCCI would already have done it as they get a fortune for the licenses. Whilst it means you'd see more of the overseas players it also means you spread the Indian players across a wider base so if you stick to 7 Indians per side you might end up with some poorer quality Indians playing.

On the cricket side

how come Williamson and smith get deals every year and Root doesn’t?

They aren’t better t20 players at all

there are shed loads of aussies and NZ coaches n staff there maybe that’s it

it feels much harder for English lads to get a deal over the years

IPL generally clashes with the English season so there's typically less availability, particularly with international players and the ECB's policy of resting the hell out of players (particularly if they happen to play for Durham).

That’s gotta hurt
Got a lot of sympathy from the bowler
On the cricket side

how come Williamson and smith get deals every year and Root doesn’t?

They aren’t better t20 players at all

there are shed loads of aussies and NZ coaches n staff there maybe that’s it

it feels much harder for English lads to get a deal over the years
Get a contract and do well you keep it, Smith and Williamson have done that in the IPL. As @scaly_piscine says the IPL usually clashes with England matches so they miss a lot of games in the tournament so there's less appeal from that perspective, particularly as Smith is also captain..

Last edited:
Got a lot of sympathy from the bowler

Get a contract and do well you keep it, Smith and Williamson have done that in the IPL. As @scaly_piscine says the IPL usually clashes with England matches so they miss a lot of games in the tournament so there's less appeal from that perspective, particularly as Smith is also captain..

I guess but just feels a bit unfair

feel for root he’s easily one of our best t20 players, never gets the chance to prove it

There is something in the coaches thing though I reckon, more English influence now but few years ago people like maxwell were getting million dollars when barely played a game. He’s no better than our lads

I guess but just feels a bit unfair

feel for root he’s easily one of our best t20 players, never gets the chance to prove it

There is something in the coaches thing though I reckon, more English influence now but few years ago people like maxwell were getting million dollars when barely played a game. He’s no better than our lads
I get the impression that in the IPL, certainly in the earlier years, it was the owners buying players they thought were exciting rather than cricket people trying to build a balanced squad. When Maxwell comes off he's fantastic but there are far more effective cricketers about.

I get the impression that in the IPL, certainly in the earlier years, it was the owners buying players they thought were exciting rather than cricket people trying to build a balanced squad. When Maxwell comes off he's fantastic but there are far more effective cricketers about.

To be fair to Maxwell, coming in when he does is a bit of a hiding to nothing in IPL. Most of the time you have no opportunity to build any sort of innings. So you're much more likely to be dropped without actually having done much wrong. Mohammad Nabi in this game is a good example - I'd say he's a far more valuable player than Williamson, particularly given SRH's lineup. He scored 11* off 8 (which was the best strike rate for SRH) and bowled the most economical spell last match for SRH (4-0-23-0) but because he's more peripheral he gets dropped.

I'd have Nabi over Williamson 99 times out of 100. Williamson, like Smith, should open if he's going to provide some real value. And SRH have two very good openers already.

To be fair to Maxwell, coming in when he does is a bit of a hiding to nothing in IPL. Most of the time you have no opportunity to build any sort of innings. So you're much more likely to be dropped without actually having done much wrong. Mohammad Nabi in this game is a good example - I'd say he's a far more valuable player than Williamson, particularly given SRH's lineup. He scored 11* off 8 (which was the best strike rate for SRH) and bowled the most economical spell last match for SRH (4-0-23-0) but because he's more peripheral he gets dropped.

I'd have Nabi over Williamson 99 times out of 100. Williamson, like Smith, should open if he's going to provide some real value. And SRH have two very good openers already.
My comment about Maxwell was as much about ODI cricket as T20. Williamson is wasted at 4.

Hmm what are these fields... boundary fielder letting a ball go over his head for 4. Bowling full cutters and no long on.

Seem to get a lot of this in the IPL where the fields are baffling.

I get that

my original point about Maxwell was when he was first signed, he had barely played much 1st class cricket, he got his deal due to the number of aussie coaches going for him

I feel we've had lads as talented, and better than him who didn't get interest

Why has Maxwell played like 7 or 8 years in the IPL and someone like Hales has played a handul of games for example

Problem is that each team you bring in adds at least 8 games, as they don't show games at the same time that's adding 8 days to the tournament (assuming they can't stagger them in different time zones). if they could do it I'm sure the BCCI would already have done it as they get a fortune for the licenses. Whilst it means you'd see more of the overseas players it also means you spread the Indian players across a wider base so if you stick to 7 Indians per side you might end up with some poorer quality Indians playing.

Yeah, I think any expansion would have to involve increasing the number of foreign players allowed in each team and having two games per day (seems rediculous they don't do this anyway, to be honest...). I don't know if they would even clash especially though, have one at like 4pm-7pm Indian time and one at
7:30pm-10:30pm?

Have say 5 foreign players and 6 Indian players per team minimum in a ten-team league still gives them sixty domestic players minimum (about the same as the moment)... more than enough for the home audience to cheer, while also attracting all the big names from abroad. Fuck it, allow Pakistan and Bangladesh players lads to come and play as well :lol:

To me having fifty foreign players in the league instead of the current thirty-two would allow the teams to start scouting and picking young and promising Big Bash, CPL, or Hundred players from the season before, as well as having all of the established superstars (while actually being able to fit all those players into squads)... it would encourage a bit more scouting and squad building as well.

I mean it is clearly attractive product at the moment, but a game a day just absolutely packed with talent makes it feel a little exhibition esq, rather then a real tournament.

Back