Hundred viewing figures down by half

The only bits I've seen have been on bulletins and maybe 2 minutes the other night. 3rd or 4th ball I watched, a thick edge flies over a tiny boundary for 6 and the commentators lose their minds over how utterly amazing it was. Immediately turned over, load of shit.

Apart from that, I can't comment.

And yes, it's because cricket has been taken away from half the country due to this shite and because the game is being murdered in front of our eyes. You're fine with that, I'm not.
Personally I think most of the games at the moment are entertaining and good quality especially the recent positive approach our test team has took lately has been great.

The philosophy of we would rather lose by attempting to win is brilliant for cricket imo.

The only incredibly boring cricket been played this season imo has been in the county championship where I can’t remember soo many games where results have not happened and soo many draws, no more than in the games effecting Durham, terrible entertainment imo.

As I said before much rather come home and watch live cricket every night, than sit through 4 days of boring none result cricket that the championship has provided plenty this season.

Last edited:
Problem is I doubt it change much. Controversial opinion but FTA does very little for Cricket.

It’s absolutely everything for cricket imo. It gets multiple more eyes on it when it’s on there. A whole load of stats prove that out.

Adults put BBC2 on and kids will be exposed to it, even in passing. Stops cricket being an invisible sport.

This is getting like the Politics board, people arguing about stats and crowds and putting different arguments and spins on figures.

Personally I am just over the moon that coming home from work that I can enjoy quality entertaining live cricket every night.

I can sit back and enjoy!!

Rather than those on here that seem to want to twist night after night that cricket is on live every night!!!

It’s a mystery to me where cricket fans just can’t enjoy cricket!!
That's my take on it also.

That's my take on it also.

All of wish perfectly demonstrates one of many reasons it was so Shirley thought out. It's not just this board, cricket people all around the country are at each others throats over this.

Divide and conquer from ftecb
Personally I think most of the games at the moment are entertaining and good quality especially the recent positive approach our test team has took lately has been great.

Ah so
Personally I think most of the games at the moment are entertaining and good quality especially the recent positive approach our test team has took lately has been great

The only incredibly boring cricket been played this season imo has been in the county championship..., no more than in the games effecting Durham, terrible entertainment imo.

Right so the good test cricket is all thanks to the hundred (the one mccullum has never played and stokes has skipped this year)

Meanwhile you'd rather watch meaningless teams play 16.4 that support the county you presumably born/followed.

Says it all tbh, I think you're deliberately being a wum about this

Last edited:
All of wish perfectly demonstrates one of many reasons it was so Shirley thought out. It's not just this board, cricket people all around the country are at each others throats over this.

Divide and conquer from ftecb

Ah so

Right so the good test cricket is all thanks to the hundred (the one mccullum has never played and stokes has skipped this year)

Meanwhile you'd rather watch meaningless teams play 16.4 that support the county you presumably born/followed.

Says it all tbh, I think you're deliberately being a wum about this
No the good test cricket has nothing to do with the hundred??

I have never followed or supported Durham was too busy either playing or supporting my club cricket team.

I am not been a wum in the slightest, I care about club cricket way above county cricket and want youngsters to see cricket on the Telly and take up club cricket.
I also believe sport should be entertaining and played with a positive intent, and the cricket on show in the Durham games this season in the championship has been no way near the above.

Last edited:
Here's where the 'viewing figures halved' point comes from - Broadcast Now (see below). It's for this year's men's opener compared to last year's. Which is pretty bad to be honest, as the tournament's success on its own terms is predicated on growth. If it doesn't greatly boost interest and viewing figures - and/or attract a larger overseas TV deal, then it's in trouble as the running costs (not to mention the well documented costs to the wider game, such as, say, a reduction in Blast crowds due to the squashed schedule and lack of promotion) are so high. The marketing/entertainment budget outweighs its ticket sales. The salaries are larger than counties but already being blown out the water by other upstart leagues. So already faces a poor relation status it was apparently designed to avoid - and you're basically replicating The Blast but having alienated and disenfranchised lots of existing fans, with no guarantee you can keep up the marketing spend to keep attracting some new ones to replace them - as at the moment, including payments to counties it's loss making. Ultimately, it's why you were better off (and still are) spending half or a third as much revamping the Blast with a finals league stage that lasted a few weeks before finals day or two divisions, and a parallel women's competition. Because you could attract the new fans, keep it sustainable without screwing up everything else and by using your money more judiciously to gain new supporters and players across the game.

Some posts just get worse and worse on these threads.

It’s just basically baseball, see how far you can hit it.

But by the way I have never watched any of it???
I can see the scores I don’t need to watch it. For some reason it’s all over the bbc cricket pages.
love a day watching a proper test instead

Here's where the 'viewing figures halved' point comes from - Broadcast Now (see below). It's for this year's men's opener compared to last year's. Which is pretty bad to be honest, as the tournament's success on its own terms is predicated on growth. If it doesn't greatly boost interest and viewing figures - and/or attract a larger overseas TV deal, then it's in trouble as the running costs (not to mention the well documented costs to the wider game, such as, say, a reduction in Blast crowds due to the squashed schedule and lack of promotion) are so high. The marketing/entertainment budget outweighs its ticket sales. The salaries are larger than counties but already being blown out the water by other upstart leagues. So already faces a poor relation status it was apparently designed to avoid - and you're basically replicating The Blast but having alienated and disenfranchised lots of existing fans, with no guarantee you can keep up the marketing spend to keep attracting some new ones to replace them - as at the moment, including payments to counties it's loss making. Ultimately, it's why you were better off (and still are) spending half or a third as much revamping the Blast with a finals league stage that lasted a few weeks before finals day or two divisions, and a parallel women's competition. Because you could attract the new fans, keep it sustainable without screwing up everything else and by using your money more judiciously to gain new supporters and players across the game.

I can’t read that mate. I assume it’s comparing the opening women’s game last year to the opening one this year though? If it is it’s a meaningless comparison. Not like for like at all.

I can see the scores I don’t need to watch it. For some reason it’s all over the bbc cricket pages.
love a day watching a proper test instead
Each to their own mate, but think you have to watch it to know what’s it’s like.

And I am not really sure what the difference is between a proper test match and a normal test match?

Last edited:
I can’t read that mate. I assume it’s comparing the opening women’s game last year to the opening one this year though? If it is it’s a meaningless comparison. Not like for like at all.
:lol:

It makes a point opposite to yours, so obviously it's a "meaningless comparison". Course it is

:lol:

It makes a point opposite to yours, so obviously it's a "meaningless comparison". Course it is

I’m not massively pro the 100 mate - I much prefer the Blast. But I hope it succeeds cos that’s the last of live cricket on the BBC if it doesn’t.

Loads of people turned into the opening women’s game last year cos it was the debut of the entire format and they were curious either about the 100 as a concept or how the BBC would cover it. This year it was shoehorned into the middle of the men’s comp, so it was far less of an ‘occasion’.

The people seizing on this are those desperate for it to fail from what I can see. If things like the ratings for the final tank versus 2021 that’s a concern for the ECB, but this shouldn’t be.

It’s absolutely everything for cricket imo. It gets multiple more eyes on it when it’s on there. A whole load of stats prove that out.

Adults put BBC2 on and kids will be exposed to it, even in passing. Stops cricket being an invisible sport.
FTA definitely matters. The BBL and Ashes are both FTA here in Aus, and whilst the BBL has waned a bit in recent years, it's still part of the national sporting conversation.

Back