How notorious is this forum to the club?

Status
Not open for further replies.

For many posters (myself included) its kind of a charade or an in-joke to go overboard with the negativity. The point of it is to affect the psyche of the happy-clappers, and the real gratification comes when they take the bait. I have never felt perturbed at a loss, but when I come on here, I don the robe and hat and dance the jig.
Strange stance to take but fair enough.
Loads of negativity in the North stand. Suppose it depends on how you categorise it. Is someone leaping up out of their seat and mouthing obscenities after a fluffed chance or shit pass being negative or just expressing the normal emotions a fan goes through during a game.
I sit in the north stand and didn't notice it myself. I'd had a few beers mind.

Last edited:
It causes a huge amount of eye-rolling, along with equal amounts of amusement and irritation. They're as convinced as we are that many posters actively enjoy the club not succeeding.

Then I would say they are wrong.

Just because people make critical posts here doesn’t mean they don’t want success.

I have said before and will say again that whilst the board probably does have a representative section of the supporters as members, the opinions expressed here will never be truly representative.

There are a couple of reasons for this. Firstly whatever we do, there will always be WUMs and trolls who post for the attention, we also have a vocal minority and a passive majority of posters.

Secondly people generally come online to post and moan about things if they are unhappy, but don’t feel the need to comment about good things or when they are happy. Sadly that is human nature.

It very evident that the forum thrives when performances are bad, and goes quiet when they are good. I really should produce a graph of traffic figures versus results!

Players and management will inevitably be upset if they read opinions on here (or on twitter or facebook or any other club forum). I do wonder if clubs need to address this and actively teach/counsel players on social media. It isn’t going to go away and there is no doubt it could be damaging to some personalities.

How should we act then. The football on offer is of the lowest standard in the club's history and some players just aren't very good at their chosen profession. By and large most people try to be supportive at the match, although it was pretty negative on Tuesday, and by and large most people on here will try to articulate their concerns. You can't argue that it's a low for the club and you can't argue that the fare on offer isn't really acceptable so again I ask, how do we act and show that although we love the club what's on offer isn't acceptable.

So the negs cascading down from the terraces benefits who?

If it pisses you off so much don't go....otherwise put on a happy face, clap ya hands at whatever fare is on offer.....are we entitled to be Barcelona?

The bell ends on the Bongeye are having a field day with this Fookin shoite man....

The SOL's a pit of despair, there'll be no whingeing at Bolton....

Then I would say they are wrong.

Just because people make critical posts here doesn’t mean they don’t want success.

I have said before and will say again that whilst the board probably does have a representative section of the supporters as members, the opinions expressed here will never be truly representative.

There are a couple of reasons for this. Firstly whatever we do, there will always be WUMs and trolls who post for the attention, we also have a vocal minority and a passive majority of posters.

Secondly people generally come online to post and moan about things if they are unhappy, but don’t feel the need to comment about good things or when they are happy. Sadly that is human nature.

It very evident that the forum thrives when performances are bad, and goes quiet when they are good. I really should produce a graph of traffic figures versus results!

Players and management will inevitably be upset if they read opinions on here (or on twitter or facebook or any other club forum). I do wonder if clubs actively need to address this and actively teach/counsel players on social media. It isn’t going to go away and there is no doubt it could be damaging to some personalities.

What causes them real irritation is the persistence of some instances of misinformation long after they've been disproved.

It seems agreed that that the matchday atmosphere hasnt really been that negative, however on here, there's been rather a lot, I'd say most of the negativity I've seen has been on here even compared to other online platforms (various Facebook pages).

Given how there has been talk from Ross about fan negativity, has he been influenced by criticism on here, and to what extent do opinions and sentiments on here filter through to the club, and how much attention do they really pay to this site?

if you wanted your customers feelings on a product you'd have a browse on here, it has a role to play but maybe not an influence - the support in the stadium does not reflect this site as many match goer's don't use this site....maybe we have 200 regulars here on PF out of our 29,000 match goers.

So the negs cascading down from the terraces benefits who?

If it pisses you off so much don't go....otherwise put on a happy face, clap ya hands at whatever fare is on offer.....are we entitled to be Barcelona?

The bell ends on the Bongeye are having a field day with this Fookin shoite man....

The SOL's a pit of despair, there'll be no whingeing at Bolton....

Fucked if I'm cheering that dour jock and his band of merry misfits. I won't boo but I'm not gonna pretend what I'm watching is anything other than sub standard shite.

Loads of negativity in the North stand. Suppose it depends on how you categorise it. Is someone leaping up out of their seat and mouthing obscenities after a fluffed chance or shit pass being negative or just expressing the normal emotions a fan goes through during a game.
AHH SW corner., I can't even recall anyone shouting in frustration.

if you wanted your customers feelings on a product you'd have a browse on here, it has a role to play but maybe not an influence - the support in the stadium does not reflect this site as many match goer's don't use this site....maybe we have 200 regulars here on PF out of our 29,000 match goers.

Perhaps more importantly, many users on here don't go to matches, and so aren't reflective of the active support.

Perhaps more importantly, many users on here don't go to matches, and so aren't reflective of the active support.

It is negative at home games though mate. It's fully understandable mind. No-one is arguing any good comes from it but it's there and it's in response to what we're watching.

Take the majorities view on here, and I doubt you'll be far off the fans in the stadium. A couple of posters say something over the top and then others take that as the view of the smb, which I find strange.

Always think of this place as a pub after the game, when everyone will spout off, often over the top after a few beers, but in the ground will be supportive.

This has traditionally not been representative of the whole support base and many I know who dont visit this forum see it as a bit of a joke.

But it does have influence. Things that start on here do branch out into the real world. Especially manager negativity.

I dunno marra, my issue with the manager stems from watching subpar performances on the pitch not what someone on here has said I should think.

I don’t think anyone should underestimate the impact negative/rude/abusive comments can have on any individual if they come on here and read it. If a player gets hammered on here, whether or not accurately for some poor performance it will be hard for that individual to take. Now you might say ‘don’t look then’ but we all know some will. I’m regularly beaten up for being a happy clapper but I’m not sure the negs on any part of social media always think about the impact they can have on the mental health of others. Football is a very unforgiving job and managers and players know very well that regular under performance threatens their prospects and possibly their careers. So no I don’t think ‘the club’ feels the impact of this board but I do think individuals might. It never ceases to amaze me the casual abuse thrown around when you know the poster would never ever say that to the person’s face. Pelters no doubt now inbound, tin hat on ;)
This is very true and unfortunately not just a sign of how people using the internet behave towards others, but how society in general is.

It is negative at home games though mate. It's fully understandable mind. No-one is arguing any good comes from it but it's there and it's in response to what we're watching.

There is no real excitement before games, the bar has been set low and the stadium has lost it's pure emotion. It will change i'm sure, the gaffer and the team can massively influence this, it can be as simple as one of our lads showing some class, or emotion, or both. Crowds turn very easily, we have I think a temporary loss of spark.

But it will return, and it is fantastic to be part of when it rocks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back