How notorious is this forum to the club?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The club come in here as do players, I think that's been proven in the past. Players do take notice in general. I remember Southgate going on a boro forum when he was there, he was called "nord of nidd" iirc.

They can’t ignore this forum, just because of the volume of activity, in a marketing sense it’s free information for them to use.

You want to know what your customers think, they can get that information from here for nothing!

People like to get a reaction/ into a debate over their views on here.
Say for example most people think Gooch is doing OK this season, it doesn't make an interesting thread or viewpoint.
If someone posts an extreme viewpoint, they get noticed.

Also, I ate a load of dried apricots last night. I currently have regret.

How should we act then. The football on offer is of the lowest standard in the club's history and some players just aren't very good at their chosen profession. By and large most people try to be supportive at the match, although it was pretty negative on Tuesday, and by and large most people on here will try to articulate their concerns. You can't argue that it's a low for the club and you can't argue that the fare on offer isn't really acceptable so again I ask, how do we act and show that although we love the club what's on offer isn't acceptable.
I disagree about the atmosphere being negative on Tuesday , there were no boos or shouts of dissident around us until the final whistle was blown , it was to the fans credit they stuck with the team throughout that second half whilst it disintegrated in front of them.

I don’t think anyone should underestimate the impact negative/rude/abusive comments can have on any individual if they come on here and read it. If a player gets hammered on here, whether or not accurately for some poor performance it will be hard for that individual to take. Now you might say ‘don’t look then’ but we all know some will. I’m regularly beaten up for being a happy clapper but I’m not sure the negs on any part of social media always think about the impact they can have on the mental health of others. Football is a very unforgiving job and managers and players know very well that regular under performance threatens their prospects and possibly their careers. So no I don’t think ‘the club’ feels the impact of this board but I do think individuals might. It never ceases to amaze me the casual abuse thrown around when you know the poster would never ever say that to the person’s face. Pelters no doubt now inbound, tin hat on ;)
Totally agree.
Sometimes I wonder if people on here know what a 'supporter' is.
Some folk can't wait to give the biggest over reaction and put down players who we should be supporting.
Threads slagging mcgeouch off, dobson off, hulme off etc
Astounds me.

They can’t ignore this forum, just because of the volume of activity, in a marketing sense it’s free information for them to use.

You want to know what your customers think, they can get that information from here for nothing!
But it's a tiny percentage of the customers isn't it.

The club will know that many posters on here are of the Talk Sport type - provoking others with extreme views to get a reaction.

They will take most views with a shovel of salt.

I don’t think anyone should underestimate the impact negative/rude/abusive comments can have on any individual if they come on here and read it. If a player gets hammered on here, whether or not accurately for some poor performance it will be hard for that individual to take. Now you might say ‘don’t look then’ but we all know some will. I’m regularly beaten up for being a happy clapper but I’m not sure the negs on any part of social media always think about the impact they can have on the mental health of others. Football is a very unforgiving job and managers and players know very well that regular under performance threatens their prospects and possibly their careers. So no I don’t think ‘the club’ feels the impact of this board but I do think individuals might. It never ceases to amaze me the casual abuse thrown around when you know the poster would never ever say that to the person’s face. Pelters no doubt now inbound, tin hat on ;)

Wise beyond your years :)

But it's a tiny percentage of the customers isn't it.

I have no idea on the actual volume of traffic on here, there is a pretty big spread of demographics.

They don’t have to do anything with the information they take, as I said it’s free info.

It seems agreed that that the matchday atmosphere hasnt really been that negative, however on here, there's been rather a lot, I'd say most of the negativity I've seen has been on here even compared to other online platforms (various Facebook pages).

Given how there has been talk from Ross about fan negativity, has he been influenced by criticism on here, and to what extent do opinions and sentiments on here filter through to the club, and how much attention do they really pay to this site?

he said "the trouble with this place" IIRC

That could mean fans, it could be the media or could be both or something else entirely

Generally players and managers,rightly or wrongly, have a low opinion of supporters understanding of football. Just been reading Frank Clark's autobiography where he talks about the abuse he got from the pop side at Newcastle. Didn't like it, didn't bother him as his manager backed him but did say some crumpled when they stepped into the atmosphere at St James. Conclusion...criticism gets to people but some can block it out

Answer to the OP. Yes they absolutely do hear or read and talk about what gets said on here at the AOL. I know that for a fact.
The fact that it gets to players who get slammed is not surprising. Humans being human.
We know Donald hears it. He talks about on his podcasts. I think it also influences him.
I’m not sure it influences Ross and I pray for the sake of SAFC that it doesn’t because it is rabid on here at times and the negativity in the fan base as a whole is wildly exaggerated here. I’m sure he hears about it but if it influences him in any way shape or form then he needs to have a word with himself. As manager he must be way above the unrepresentative negative emotion shown on this board. He has to be more resilient and mentally tough than to be got at by this.
His recent attacks on fans can only be about here as the match going fans have not yet turned negative enough to warrant his comments. Either way, criticising fans is the penultimate step in losing your job at Sunderland. When he criticises players, which to be fair, he never ever does in public, he’ll have nowhere left to go.

This has traditionally not been representative of the whole support base and many I know who dont visit this forum see it as a bit of a joke.

But it does have influence. Things that start on here do branch out into the real world. Especially manager negativity.
This

Experience of being on here a number of years tells me, in the main, the views on here don't necessarily match the average punter on a match day. In fact in some cases they can be grossly exaggerated, or a lot different.
People have a massively overrated opinion that this message board reflects the majority of fans.....believe me it doesn’t.

There are 32,000 posters on here who want Ross out who are ready to fill the stadium when it's extended and there's a roof on the top. Until then it's too cold or wet to go and watch Charlie Wyke and Will Grigg missing open goals against Accrington Stanley, Bristol Rovers, etc. As soon as we get Messi in and start winning the Premier League, the underseat heating is installed and they have waiters serving beer at your seat, the stadium will be full and the threads on here will all become positive. All negative posters will have nothing to moan about and will go shopping instead.

Some on here will always find something to whinge about.

“The beer in Barcelona has too many bubbles”
“Our fourth goal in the Champions League final didn’t have enough touches”
“The new Brazilian superstar we signed from Juventus has got stupid hair”

And so on. Negativity is woven into every fibre of their being. Or they’re massive WUMs.

It may be possible that people are negative because we are really, really, really shit . We also play horrendous football. We don't seem to have a system or formation . Pay players thousands of pounds per week. Then come the weekend they can't pass the ball 5 yards to a teammate. On a positive note .Come on the takeover!

I disagree about the atmosphere being negative on Tuesday , there were no boos or shouts of dissident around us until the final whistle was blown , it was to the fans credit they stuck with the team throughout that second half whilst it disintegrated in front of them.

Loads of negativity in the North stand. Suppose it depends on how you categorise it. Is someone leaping up out of their seat and mouthing obscenities after a fluffed chance or shit pass being negative or just expressing the normal emotions a fan goes through during a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back