How notorious is this forum to the club?

It's an open forum so anyone can see what's being posted so I think it's highly likely that people at the club have a look to see what the fans are saying. Just like employers looking at employees social media profiles.
I have no doubt plenty of players, staff etc will read the forum, how seriously they take it, and how they let it affect them and their opinion of fans as a whole is what interests me

Definitely does. The older generation won't bother with "The internets" so that's about 25% or more of the fan base. That leaves the other 75% who do write on here and voice there onions...(wink)

Young players and staff get on here too.

I'm 63 though and have been on for over 10 years so it's not safe to assume none of us old codgers can navigate a piece of tech.
Nobody likes to be criticised no matter who you are it will still be hard to read

It's an interesting philosophical discussion. By its nature a fans sounding board will be critical on occasions as we're all ambitious to see the club win and progress. I agree that level of scrutiny isn't something most of us encounter while doing our jobs but I suppose that's the nature of celebrity and high profile jobs. Politicians get it mercilessly too.

I'd be happy to see some moderation that quickly deletes posts which are a bit too personal and lack any constructive criticism....but then look at the one on our RB which is current atm. It's almost exclusively negative and regardless of any lack of personal abuse it must still be a hard read for the individual concerned. So what's the answer?

Last edited:
I reckon only a tiny percent of people who attend games get on here. Some people give far too much importance to this place and their posts. In reality nobody in the real world gives a shiney shite about this place or its content

Message boards represent a minuscule number of the fanbase coupled with fans like a good old moan.
Equally many people posting on message boards don’t even go to the games.
No different at Swindon, Sunderland or any other club.

We are all very different individuals with varying degrees of expectation and all have opinions. That alone is a recipe for disaster.
Interesting was having the same discussions behind the scenes at Swindon at the weekend and the club are not influenced in the slightest by a message board and quite rightly so.

We lost Tuesday, didn’t play well and deserved to get beat but overnight haven’t become a poor side. Nobody gets disappointed more than me but a sense of realism is always required.
This message Board is excellent and everything posted above supports this view.

Dust yourself down and get ready for the next game.
Your club is slowly heading back in the right direction after a fair few years of stagnation and decline. It happens and you are not in a bad position however can equally understand that you don’t belong in the lower Leagues.
You won’t be down for long and enjoy the rise as no matter what leagues you are in promotion seasons are superb.

Perhaps more importantly, many users on here don't go to matches, and so aren't reflective of the active support.

Great point - technology has provided a platform for those to voice opinions they don't even believe in order to get a reaction. It's obvious this site is read - problem is it does not represent how most fans feel. When we turn on a manager we do it in a stadium, as Steve Bruce found out....Jack Ross aint too far away mind.

It is negative at home games though mate. It's fully understandable mind. No-one is arguing any good comes from it but it's there and it's in response to what we're watching.

its just flat and we have to create the atmosphere vs the team getting us off our seats....I was in reflective mood yesterday so watched some old safc vs mags footage, lots of videos of our fans going beserk with passion running on to the pitch to celebrate with their heroes - seems a long time ago.
Only him. Met him a couple of times now; he uses my first name, so.....

is your name Brian?

its just flat and we have to create the atmosphere vs the team getting us off our seats....I was in reflective mood yesterday so watched some old safc vs mags footage, lots of videos of our fans going beserk with passion running on to the pitch to celebrate with their heroes - seems a long time ago.

is your name Brian?
No. It's actually not that hard to find my name, if you do a bit of thinking.

Absolutely ludicrous if they take more than the mildest interest on what is posted here. Might as well complain about graffiti on a bog wall

Nobody likes to be criticised no matter who you are it will still be hard to read
Nobody cant gloss over or disguise the way the way the team is not playing to its potential.. The manager has failed to change things around, as most supporters could see what was going wrong, after the disastrous end to last season.. Theres not getting away that we are just getting away with it at the minute.

While not providing complete view this board probably does have the numbers to offer a decent sample size, it will usually give a fair enough gauge on people’s opinions.

The main problem is that on internet discussions posters tend to take more extremist views than they actually have, things can become binary far too quickly.

We also live in an age of confirmation bias, people are more likely to believe something they agree with. You can see on this thread with Ross polls, Ross in fans who seemed happy that this board was a reflection of the fan base when the poll agreed with them now dismiss the place and viscera with Out fans.

I'm 63 though and have been on for over 10 years so it's not safe to assume none of us old codgers can navigate a piece of tech.

It's an interesting philosophical discussion. By its nature a fans sounding board will be critical on occasions as we're all ambitious to see the club win and progress. I agree that level of scrutiny isn't something most of us encounter while doing our jobs but I suppose that's the nature of celebrity and high profile jobs. Politicians get it mercilessly too.

I'd be happy to see some moderation that quickly deletes posts which are a bit too personal and lack any constructive criticism....but then look at the one on our RB which is current atm. It's almost exclusively negative and regardless of any lack of personal abuse it must still be a hard read for the individual concerned. So what's the answer?
I don't know the answer but being a public open forum it's easy for people to just look without having to register. But do we want to go down the route of a closed forum? Could still be a hard read for some of the young lads tho

I don't know the answer but being a public open forum it's easy for people to just look without having to register. But do we want to go down the route of a closed forum? Could still be a hard read for some of the young lads tho

I agree, it's not ideal for people to see very negative personal stuff on a human level. You can only hope they're made of stern stuff and see it as a challenge to prove the doubters and naysayers wrong.

Interestingly I mixed socially with a few players back in the 80's....Reuben Agboola, John McPhail, Colin Pascoe and Thomas Hauser. There was obviously no social media or mobile cameras in those days and players were happy to live among us and drink with us. We've lost that now and it can only be the wealth of the players and their fear of being compromised by arseholes with phones.

I agree, it's not ideal for people to see very negative personal stuff on a human level. You can only hope they're made of stern stuff and see it as a challenge to prove the doubters and naysayers wrong.

Interestingly I mixed socially with a few players back in the 80's....Reuben Agboola, John McPhail, Colin Pascoe and Thomas Hauser. There was obviously no social media or mobile cameras in those days and players were happy to live among us and drink with us. We've lost that now and it can only be the wealth of the players and their fear of being compromised by arseholes with phones.
Yeah very very true! It's far to easy to record something and for it to be taken massively out of context! ( Only yesterday) I would hate to be a so called celebrity/sportsman this day and age.

Back