House Part Exchange - New Build

I think we have a site visit with the QA Manager before we offcially move in...

Depends what you buy. Mine has a large garden at the back and a private cul-de-sac driveway for the 3 houses in our row

Make sure you keep some Wonga back as retention for the snagging, 'cos once ya unless you have them by the nads they will Fook ye over, never mind this guarantee bollocks

Well in my experience of building townhouses they always slow to sell.Same as poxy flats ,them things end up being rented out .
Cousins in a townhouse and it’s worth less now than he paid for it 5 year ago,I can understand people being drawn to them brand new as they are cheap ,but cheap for a reason .
Just sold my townhouse in 4 weeks, got 50k more than I paid for it 9 years ago. Pleased to be moving out of it to be fair as its a right chew on all the stairs. Moving to a new build next month but on 2 floors.

To be fair, I had worked out the numbers before they made me an offer. I knew what would/wouldn't work in terms of giving me enough equity in the house to put down a good enough deposit.
The offer they gave, when you add stamp duty (£5k) and Estate Agent Fees (£1.5k) bring it close enough to market value that made it an attractive offer

I was convinced that they were trying to find reasons to pull out of the PX - 3 surveys, loads of questions about my place - but in reality they are just doing their due dilligence. They are far more desperate for me to take their 3ook house off them than I am to sell my much cheaper house. Spoke to TW on Sunday and they are expecting to exchange contracts this week once legal have signed off the PX

All in all, it's been a very smooth journey - moving house costs so much money, especially a new build when you have to fund the flooring etc yourself but it'll be worth it
Have you bought a Downham mate? thats what I have just got.

Last edited:
Just sold my townhouse in 4 weeks, got 50k more than I paid for it 9 years ago. Pleased to be moving out of it to be fair as its a right chew on all the stairs. Moving to a new build next month but on 2 floors.

Looked at te Downham, but went for the Shelford as it has a detatched Garage and an office

Looked at te Downham, but went for the Shelford as it has a detatched Garage and an office
aye both canny houses, didnt have Shelfords on my development. Obviously yours slightly bigger downstairs with study, Im converting 1 bed upstairs into a study as Im on my own. I love the open plan of the kitchen and dining room of both.

Depends what you buy. Mine has a large garden at the back and a private cul-de-sac driveway for the 3 houses in our row
Sounds an identical set up to my new place. 3 houses in our cul de sac with private road. Each house has enough drive space to park 3 cars at a push (we managed it last weekend).

What house type is yours? Although I believe they have slightly different names and outside facings for TW houses in Scotland to England

Should have read the rest of the thread. The 4 bed with separate garage is called the Melrose or something similar up here IIRC.

aye both canny houses, didnt have Shelfords on my development. Obviously yours slightly bigger downstairs with study, Im converting 1 bed upstairs into a study as Im on my own. I love the open plan of the kitchen and dining room of both.
Yeah, we were all set to go for a Downham until we saw my mate's Shelford.
The flow of the Downham (I liked how much space you have at tope of the stairs) is very good. I thought the seperate Dining Room in the Evesham was wasted space and the Haddenham was a weird lay out (didn't need 5 bedrooms either!)

Dont mind the 3 floors,like the fact you're up off the street living wise and then the bedrooms well away from noise etc with great views .Nice big rooms as well which some of the detached dont have .Heat the bottom and you heat the house as well

Dont mind the 3 floors,like the fact you're up off the street living wise and then the bedrooms well away from noise etc with great views .Nice big rooms as well which some of the detached dont have .Heat the bottom and you heat the house as well
yeah they are all good points, I liked living on the middle floor so no one could wander past and peer in during a btpbw. Also the warmest house I have been in as it loses so little heat

Sounds an identical set up to my new place. 3 houses in our cul de sac with private road. Each house has enough drive space to park 3 cars at a push (we managed it last weekend).

What house type is yours? Although I believe they have slightly different names and outside facings for TW houses in Scotland to England

Should have read the rest of the thread. The 4 bed with separate garage is called the Melrose or something similar up here IIRC.
what are you in Mick?

Last edited:
yeah they are all good points, I liked living on the middle floor so no one could wander past and peer in during a btpbw. Also the warmest house I have been in as it loses so little heat

what are you in Mick?
I’m in a “Stewart”. 4 bed detached, integral garage. Dining room is at the front of the house (used as kids’ playroom) with living room and kitchen at the back. It’s not a formal kitchen-diner but more than enough room for a 6 seater dining table (although Ikea have totally cocked up three times with delivering it!). 2 walk-in wardrobes in the master bedroom :cool:

Last edited:
Don't mind admitting there's a part of me jealous when you see friends moving into a new build. Must be class just walking into your new home with everything done exactly how you wanted it, no fuss and pretty much maintenance free for a few years. Ours has had shit loads done over the years and still doesn't feel finished.

Don't mind admitting there's a part of me jealous when you see friends moving into a new build. Must be class just walking into your new home with everything done exactly how you wanted it, no fuss and pretty much maintenance free for a few years. Ours has had shit loads done over the years and still doesn't feel finished.
its canny like, will be my 3rd new build. Its never perfect mind and you live in magnolia / white hell for a year, and there are always loads of snags, but the builders are there to sort it out. Im shite / cant be arsed with diy so couldn't be chewed with an old house than needed stuff doing. You probably dont get as much for your money with a new build.

Moving from a Victorian terrace was a massive change ,great house but always dark and cold,street chocker with cars,end up down the street to park and they curtain twitching cos its their space,fixing everything non stop.Just having the drive in front of your door away from the road .Space to potter in the garage etc without everyone on top of you .6 years in i've done next to nowt to it.Thing is if your lass is like many you change stuff to be trendy these days ,hoying good stuff away,replacing perfectly good tiles,floors,kitchens etc

its canny like, will be my 3rd new build. Its never perfect mind and you live in magnolia / white hell for a year, and there are always loads of snags, but the builders are there to sort it out. Im shite / cant be arsed with diy so couldn't be chewed with an old house than needed stuff doing. You probably dont get as much for your money with a new build.
The one thing that’s surprised me with this one is how little snagging we have. A tiny dent in the wall (which was probably caused by the removal men but shh!), a tiny bit of poor finishing on the plinth in the kitchen, and a couple of bits on the tile/worktop where the adhesive/plaster hasn’t been cleaned off properly and that’s it. The only other new build we’ve ever had was a nightmare for snagging!

The one thing that’s surprised me with this one is how little snagging we have. A tiny dent in the wall (which was probably caused by the removal men but shh!), a tiny bit of poor finishing on the plinth in the kitchen, and a couple of bits on the tile/worktop where the adhesive/plaster hasn’t been cleaned off properly and that’s it. The only other new build we’ve ever had was a nightmare for snagging!
Crossing my fingers we have the same experience as you. Paid north of £7k for "options" but still have to get the bathrooms/kitchen/diner tiled after I move in. Will be chaos for the first few weeks but should be settled by the summer

Crossing my fingers we have the same experience as you. Paid north of £7k for "options" but still have to get the bathrooms/kitchen/diner tiled after I move in. Will be chaos for the first few weeks but should be settled by the summer
I’ve been really impressed by the quality of the house. A different world from our Bellway flats back in 2007!

i was living in rented til mine was done so i flew from work took the keys ,ran in the house and ran back to work .If you're a certain type you could stand all day and produce lists.I have had some wtf moments when the suns shining a certain way and you see a repair patch on a wall.Got a decorator starting soon and he just shook his head at everything but thats his trade and clearly its not up to his standard but i've been fine with it

Back