House Part Exchange - New Build

As soon as you move in get the locks changed. They put bog standard European locks on the houses that are piss poor. I moved into a new build in 2008, less than 2 months in and a third of the estate had been burgled.
Be unusual as most these days should be built to PAS24 or Secured by Design which is a pretty high standard and police approved.
Haven't checked every developer but be surprised if most doors and windows aren't?

I must admit that at the time Andy I felt that they were being a bit short with their offer but it was pretty bang on in my case based on what it went for, basically I was a bit deluded as to the value of my house. Agree that they price it to a lower end of a range but pricing houses isn’t an exact science like. I’m of the view that a few grand here and there pales into insignificance over 25 years and the most important thing is to get the house that you really want, and be happy.
I was told by a real professional estate agent that if I was prepared to wait I'd get 100k more than if I got rid quickly . I didn't sell it I just wanted a valuation so I could borrow some dosh . I thought I'd pay it back within a year . Times were "fluid". It took six years and, it wasn't a big loan .
We are going through one now. Early days but builders have sold ours within a week
As long as you're happy it's a good result innit .

Last edited:
In this area, help to buy is pretty much done except for under £188k.

I can see a drop in 4 bed detached.
5 bed for us. And they are selling well.
I was told by a real professional estate agent that if I was prepared to wait I'd get 100k more than if I got rid quickly . I didn't sell it I just wanted a valuation so I could borrow some dosh . I thought I'd pay it back within a year . Times were "fluid". It took six years and, it wasn't a big loan .

As long as you're happy it's a good result innit .

Yep. We've had no luck selling for 6 months and a sale fell through too. Soul destroying so if this works out it could be the best decision we could have made.

5 bed for us. And they are selling well
Nice one. I know around here loads pay circa 250 for a 4 bed detached of help to buy meaning amount to mortgage was £200k. That'll rule a load who can't stretch past that.

I could be wrong mind. Hoping to do a part ex myself before too long, hoping we can get an ok amount.

Nice one. I know around here loads pay circa 250 for a 4 bed detached of help to buy meaning amount to mortgage was £200k. That'll rule a load who can't stretch past that.

I could be wrong mind. Hoping to do a part ex myself before too long, hoping we can get an ok amount.

Yeah i can imagine how people would struggle for a deposit high enough.

We got about 7-10K under what we wanted under normal circumstances but they took a good 15K off the price of the new one. We did probably overpay a bit but I reckon itll be worth it if it goes through quick. The worries are the build quality and making the stamp duty holiday.

Yeah i can imagine how people would struggle for a deposit high enough.

We got about 7-10K under what we wanted under normal circumstances but they took a good 15K off the price of the new one. We did probably overpay a bit but I reckon itll be worth it if it goes through quick. The worries are the build quality and making the stamp duty holiday.
I would take that like. Can't be arsed to run the gauntlet of a chain. I would gladly bin £10k than risk a chain.

We part exed ours with TW. They sold ours for 10K less than they gave us for it.
They sold ours for £5k less than they gave us, and in a short enough time frame that we still got the “bonus” for us helping to sell the house before we moved. We were responsible for showing people around our house so we were completely honest about it being a part exchange and that TW had given us the price that the house was being marketed “offers over” at.

We’d had 2 places out to “value” our house to get it ready to go to market before we were aware of this house so we knew what it was worth. TW weren’t offering p-ex as standard on our estate at that point but were for ours (alongside some other incentives) because the original sale had fallen through and they had to put it back up for sale. They offered us slap bang in the middle of the 2 valuations so we were happy.

Last edited:
They sold ours for £5k less than they gave us, and in a short enough time frame that we still got the “bonus” for us helping to sell the house before we moved. We were responsible for showing people around our house so we were completely honest about it being a part exchange and that TW had given us the price that the house was being marketed “offers over” at.

We’d had 2 places out to “value” our house to get it ready to go to market before we were aware of this house so we knew what it was worth. TW weren’t offering p-ex as standard on our estate at that point but were for ours (alongside some other incentives) because the original sale had fallen through and they had to put it back up for sale. They offered us slap bang in the middle of the 2 valuations so we were happy.
Yeah ours was a sale that had fallen through. I only had to do one viewing. From us looking at the new house for the first time to moving in was about 5 weeks which was ideal.

Yeah ours was a sale that had fallen through. I only had to do one viewing. From us looking at the new house for the first time to moving in was about 5 weeks which was ideal.
We were similar - about 7 weeks I think. We signed up for the house the day of my son’s birthday party (end of August) and moved in late October.

We part exed ours with TW. They sold ours for 10K less than they gave us for it.

How did you find out the price. The estate agents wont tell us. Just a case of waiting until it hits the websites?

I doubt ours will be too far from the price they gave us but you never know.
We were similar - about 7 weeks I think. We signed up for the house the day of my son’s birthday party (end of August) and moved in late October.

Ours isnt far off complete but they originally said April-May. That has now changed June-July which is right on stamp duty time. Would mean an extra 7.5K ish. Though we might be able to renegotiate maybe?
Hopefully it will be fine but im not too hopeful. Things tend to slip.

Last edited:

Back