Horses and carts on the roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

We compete most weekends during the summer at either country fairs, driving trials and at major horse shows all over the country.
Keeping the pony fit is a major reason we go on the road.
We don't have direct access to tracks so we have to use the roads

Do you pay tax and insurance on that?

We have to have liability insurance but don't pay tax but we do on our other vehicles

I knew this conversation would turn round to drivers rights because they pay tax and other road users do not.

Car tax in 2015 generated close to £6b for the government [1]. In the same year £9.3b was spent on roads. Cars and lorries do the most damage to roads, but keeping the roads in good order is subsidised by other tax payers, some of which will not be drivers.

Farms are isolated with roads in between them. There is no way to link these without farm vehicles and horses going on the road. In rural areas a lot of roads do not have paths by the side, cycle tracks are even less common in such areas.

Pedestrians, cyclists, motor bikes, horses, busses, trams etc, are all valid road users. That is the way of the world, drivers just have to live with it and not suffer an anxiety attack because they are going to get to Tesco 45 seconds slower today.

I actually find that my route to work can be difficult because of cyclists, generally doing between 10 and 15 mph. Generally you can get past them after a minute or two. However if I get my timing wrong and are behind the school bus, they only do 15-20 mph and stop where you can't get past (but the cyclists can). Road tax paying large public transport vehicles are more of an annoyance and by the arguments here have more rights to be on the road. I just accept it and drive behind them, knowing I am having a slow one for the next 5 miles. Nothing I can do except enjoy the music I'm playing. Life is just too short to get stressed by things that are not going to change, and probably should not change.

[1] https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ta/file/576095/tsgb-2016-report-summaries.pdf

I knew this conversation would turn round to drivers rights because they pay tax and other road users do not.

Car tax in 2015 generated close to £6b for the government [1]. In the same year £9.3b was spent on roads. Cars and lorries do the most damage to roads, but keeping the roads in good order is subsidised by other tax payers, some of which will not be drivers.

Farms are isolated with roads in between them. There is no way to link these without farm vehicles and horses going on the road. In rural areas a lot of roads do not have paths by the side, cycle tracks are even less common in such areas.

Pedestrians, cyclists, motor bikes, horses, busses, trams etc, are all valid road users. That is the way of the world, drivers just have to live with it and not suffer an anxiety attack because they are going to get to Tesco 45 seconds slower today.

I actually find that my route to work can be difficult because of cyclists, generally doing between 10 and 15 mph. Generally you can get past them after a minute or two. However if I get my timing wrong and are behind the school bus, they only do 15-20 mph and stop where you can't get past (but the cyclists can). Road tax paying large public transport vehicles are more of an annoyance and by the arguments here have more rights to be on the road. I just accept it and drive behind them, knowing I am having a slow one for the next 5 miles. Nothing I can do except enjoy the music I'm playing. Life is just too short to get stressed by things that are not going to change, and probably should not change.

[1] https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ta/file/576095/tsgb-2016-report-summaries.pdf
Basically, we pay tax and insurance, but are not allowed to have the right to have valid complaints? OK mate

Basically, we pay tax and insurance, but are not allowed to have the right to have valid complaints? OK mate
No, because other people whos taxes also go to pay for the roads also have the right to be there.

Well actually we have free speech so I correct myself, you do have the right to complain. It will not get you anywhere though because unless we switch to a 'car only' society then all the other legal road users are here to stay.

No, because other people whos taxes also go to pay for the roads also have the right to be there.

Well actually we have free speech so I correct myself, you do have the right to complain. It will not get you anywhere though because unless we switch to a 'car only' society then all the other legal road users are here to stay.
Then they should be forced to pay tax and insurance as well then. Problem solved

Theres a gypsy race every year in gateshead between heworth metro and gateshead stadium. Dozens of them for hours doing laps of the road.

And the same could be said of knackers driving their cars whilst using their mobile phones.
Ever seen or heard of a h&c driver getting drink or drug tested?. No insurance either.any age laws for the cart drivers?
They are a f***ing joke in this day and age.The f***ing pikeys follow behind or along side them and take the piss.The scruffy fuckers from ford estate used to clog the roads every Sunday morning a few year back, pretending to be travellers.theyve never been past the A19, the many twats.

When i lived down south hylton they all came out of the woodwork at a drop of sun. Careering up and down hylton road causing chaos, their mullets billowing in the wind
I've only ever seen them in Sunderland on that road.

Nee idea why anyone would want a horse and cart. Always look like m0ngs.

It's the pretendy pikeys who wear the hi vis jackets with with the chequers on and POLITE on the back that look like coppers hi vis jackets that get on my tits. If i painted my car in police livery but with the word POLITE on the side there'd be hell on :D:D

We compete most weekends during the summer at either country fairs, driving trials and at major horse shows all over the country.
Keeping the pony fit is a major reason we go on the road.
We don't have direct access to tracks so we have to use the roads

We have to have liability insurance but don't pay tax but we do on our other vehicles

Trust me your not who the OP is on about, they don't have insurance, no hi viz, don't thank drivers after sitting and waiting in queues of traffic miles long. The horses aren't exactly well cared for and often I can tell are lame. When I used to work in bishop town centre kids no older than 12/13 would be hang in off the back of the trap driving through crowds of shoppers in a pedestrian zone. Scourge of the roads

Then they should be forced to pay tax and insurance as well then. Problem solved

Good luck trying to work out how to tax road going horses but leave non-road going horses tax free. It is the same argument as people who say cyclists should be taxed. Defining what a cycle is then keeping a register of them all would cost more that you are realistically going to bring in on tax. Anyway, like I said before, because road tax (actually vehicle emissions tax) does not cover the cost of what is spent on the roads, horse riders and cyclists are already paying.

Good luck trying to work out how to tax road going horses but leave non-road going horses tax free. It is the same argument as people who say cyclists should be taxed. Defining what a cycle is then keeping a register of them all would cost more that you are realistically going to bring in on tax. Anyway, like I said before, because road tax (actually vehicle emissions tax) does not cover the cost of what is spent on the roads, horse riders and cyclists are already paying.
and people who don't own cars.....:lol:

Simple, make it the law that road going hosses should pay tax.
The cops will do the rest.
It won't take the latest hi tech Beamer to catch up with them.

Even plod on a bike,c/w cowboy hat and lassoo should be able to nail them. :lol:

Other night, I got home and three teenagers were walking a piebald carthorse, which was dragging a wooden pallet along the road with paving slabs on it. A sort of economy model horse and cart.

Thing is, there isn't anyone who sells paving slabs near where I live.

Other night, I got home and three teenagers were walking a piebald carthorse, which was dragging a wooden pallet along the road with paving slabs on it. A sort of economy model horse and cart.

Thing is, there isn't anyone who sells paving slabs near where I live.

The paving slabs are probably just added weight to build up the hosses muscles.
A pile of rocks or a couple of sacks of coal on the pallet would serve just as well,
Though round here they just drag big old truck tyres along the road surface and that does the same job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back