Homebrewing - Part 3

You could add 1kg of sugar to get it up to about 10% or so. There's already loads of sugar in the juice.
It'll be about 5% without extra sugar, but wouldn't mind 7% or so...

So what's the crack; just pour 4l into the bottle, add enough yeast, leave it for a week? It's been ages since I read through this thread and my memory isn't the best.

It'll be about 5% without extra sugar, but wouldn't mind 7% or so...

So what's the crack; just pour 4l into the bottle, add enough yeast, leave it for a week? It's been ages since I read through this thread and my memory isn't the best.
It'll take more than a week, more like a month. Notorious for the fermentation dragging on.

I think I drilled 11mm holes and fitted a rubber grommet to get a tight seal.

I got these grommets

Rubber Grommet Pack
I just bought a 2 pack bung/airlock from Wilko like, but I’ll bear that I’m mind now I have airlocks.

Another question - Tannins. If you’re doing the 4 teabag tea thing, does the type of tea make any difference? Not Earl Grey or owt, but Tetley v Yorkshire.

I just bought a 2 pack bung/airlock from Wilko like, but I’ll bear that I’m mind now I have airlocks.

Another question - Tannins. If you’re doing the 4 teabag tea thing, does the type of tea make any difference? Not Earl Grey or owt, but Tetley v Yorkshire.
I've never put tea in a turbo like, just wine.

Turbo ciders away. 3.5l* of apple juice, 0.5l cranberry, cup of tea (4 bags), yeast, nutrient.

Hope I've cleaned everything right.

*2l now, 1.5l in a few days.

I’ve managed to get myself slightly hooked on this brewing thing since seeing it on the SMB a year or so back. This is obviously very late to the party bearing in mind these threads have been going quite a while.

Anyway, I started off doing a Woodfords Wherry which went ok. Then I got slightly more advanced doing a partial mash kit. That went better. This year I’ve decided to do some all grain brews. This is small batch stuff due to the limited space I have, ie a kitchen and a big pan. I’ve got a 5 litre one on the go at the minute. It’s a stove top kit from BrewUk. When I bought the kit, I also got a few bags of grains and some hops, the idea being that I use the experience from the kit to scale down an all grain recipe from a book I’ve got.

Does anyone have any decent way for working out strike water, sparge water etc and mass of grains/hops? Is it as simple as working out a ratio of the recipe (23l) vs the batch size (5l)? Also, if I wanted to do a partial mash version of the recipe (10-15l), is that simple to work out?

Any pearls of wisdom from the SMB brewers welcome :D

I’ve managed to get myself slightly hooked on this brewing thing since seeing it on the SMB a year or so back. This is obviously very late to the party bearing in mind these threads have been going quite a while.

Anyway, I started off doing a Woodfords Wherry which went ok. Then I got slightly more advanced doing a partial mash kit. That went better. This year I’ve decided to do some all grain brews. This is small batch stuff due to the limited space I have, ie a kitchen and a big pan. I’ve got a 5 litre one on the go at the minute. It’s a stove top kit from BrewUk. When I bought the kit, I also got a few bags of grains and some hops, the idea being that I use the experience from the kit to scale down an all grain recipe from a book I’ve got.

Does anyone have any decent way for working out strike water, sparge water etc and mass of grains/hops? Is it as simple as working out a ratio of the recipe (23l) vs the batch size (5l)? Also, if I wanted to do a partial mash version of the recipe (10-15l), is that simple to work out?

Any pearls of wisdom from the SMB brewers welcome :D
Try brewers friend or if you don’t mind buying software, Beersmith is very good. I think I may have the original files for brewers friend when it was called brewmate that installs to your computer.

Back