Homebrewing - Part 3

Might as well try the free trial. Once you start down the all grain route, expect it to start getting expensive mind!

I can see it coming already. We are moving to a bigger house this year and I’ll have a garage for more stuff. Also, Brew UK keep sending adverts for Grainfather and the like.

I can see it coming already. We are moving to a bigger house this year and I’ll have a garage for more stuff. Also, Brew UK keep sending adverts for Grainfather and the like.
I’ve got a grainfather. I used to do 3 vessel brewing but this is so much easier. You’ll want a fermentation fridge if you get one. And some corny kegs. And a keezer or kegerator for your cornies. It goes on. :lol:

I’ve got a grainfather. I used to do 3 vessel brewing but this is so much easier. You’ll want a fermentation fridge if you get one. And some corny kegs. And a keezer or kegerator for your cornies. It goes on. :lol:

I don’t even know what a corny keg is at this stage :lol:

Where are you brewing? I’ve got a temperature controlled fridge but used to wrap a quilt and sleeping bag round mine in the colder weather.
In the cupboard under the stairs, because whilst colder, it stays more level than the rest of the house. I made little bubble wrap jackets for my 5 litre bottles, put them in a plastic box and then stuffed a quilt in and around them.

In the cupboard under the stairs, because whilst colder, it stays more level than the rest of the house. I made little bubble wrap jackets for my 5 litre bottles, put them in a plastic box and then stuffed a quilt in and around them.
I would think that’ll do fine.

The heat pad is for something else though! If anyone has got one they're looking to sell, let me know!

Re: Cleaning and sterilisation. What's everyone using? Starsan is rather expensive...
I get the scent free Oxi from Poundland for cleaning. Starsan for sterilising, it is expensive buy it goes a hell of a long way. I have it in spray bottles so I can just give everything a quick squirt. I have hardly made a dent in the bottle I got about 18 months ago.

What's the Grainfather like to use?

I get the scent free Oxi from Poundland for cleaning. Starsan for sterilising, it is expensive buy it goes a hell of a long way. I have it in spray bottles so I can just give everything a quick squirt. I have hardly made a dent in the bottle I got about 18 months ago.
How much is it?

Does the homebrew place in Houghton sell Starsan? I might have a dodge through.

Tip for Starsan - get deionised water. Its an acid-based cleaner, and hard water knacks it.

I used to use the water from my tumble drier, which I'd filtered through a coffee filter. And then I'd make 10L of the stuff which would basically last forever.

What's the Grainfather like to use?
A pleasure most of the time, had a few hiccups with the pump but nowt that puts me off it.

How much is it?

Does the homebrew place in Houghton sell Starsan? I might have a dodge through.
Doesn't look like they sell it.

Home Brew Life at Felling might, give them a ring.

Tip for Starsan - get deionised water. Its an acid-based cleaner, and hard water knacks it.

I used to use the water from my tumble drier, which I'd filtered through a coffee filter. And then I'd make 10L of the stuff which would basically last forever.
Our water is already soft, I got the water report and mine is 18mg/L of Calcium.

Last edited:
Our water is already soft, I got the water report and mine is 18mg/L of Calcium.
Funny how it can be so different just 10 miles up the road. Ours is quite hard. Although strangely less hard that it used to be 10 years ago

( I used to test it for tropical fish, and then I tested again for brewing.)

Back