Hold off on installing Windows 10 "Fall update"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another option may be to migrate the old profile across to the new one. We use Profwiz when migrating to new domains, never used it on a home edition though so YMMV of course.
Thing is the migration is also an upgrade to user accounts. So there will be completely new folders, keys in the registry etc that were not there before.
Unless Profwiz have been working closely with MS regarding the changes to user folders and registry settings caused by FCU it might not be watertight.

(I don't know, they might have.. just pointing it out)

Thing is the migration is also an upgrade to user accounts. So there will be completely new folders, keys in the registry etc that were not there before.
Unless Profwiz have been working closely with MS regarding the changes to user folders and registry settings caused by FCU it might not be watertight.

(I don't know, they might have.. just pointing it out)

I'm looking at the directory structure of my Windows 10 hard drive on my desktop. Under "Users", I've "Default" and "Default.migrated", so the computer seems to be in the process of downloading and updating.

Incidentally, the desktop PC is dual boot between Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. I've placed Windows 8.1 on a spare SDD (Windows 10 is also on a larger SDD) so I've control over timing of download and installation of updates. There's times I don't want streamed video content competing with updates being downloaded, given I'm still on copper broadband and speed in my area is pegged back to about 2 MBits per second. I'm a ridiculous distance away from the local exchange.

There's 8GB of RAM on the PC with an Intel i5 Core 6th Generation processor. The computer is no slouch.

Two observations:

1) Windows 8.1 is noticeably and surprisingly faster in operation than Windows 10.

2) I'm getting noticeably better broadband performance under Windows 8.1 also and in the absence of other factors, I'm attributing this to downloads not having to compete with constant updates - correct me if I'm wrong.

Although the broadband is slow for me, it's noticeably the Windows 10 installations on both my desktop and laptop that struggle the most. Windows 8.1, my Android phone and my Sky box all have fewer dropouts than Windows 10 when trying to download a web page or other content.

Last edited:
Is this safe yet then? :lol: a thing just popped up about an update saying it may take longer than usual but giving me the choice of a date to pick to finish the update and restart

Is this safe yet then? :lol: a thing just popped up about an update saying it may take longer than usual but giving me the choice of a date to pick to finish the update and restart
I'd go ahead. I've updated my other computers and had no issues. The problem that I had was not caused by the update, but something corrupted with my registry somehow.

I'd go ahead. I've updated my other computers and had no issues. The problem that I had was not caused by the update, but something corrupted with my registry somehow.

I just checked it to do it on the 7th, gonna have a look on Youtube to see what features this brings they're all probably of no use to me

Windows 10 Fall update has just been installed on both my laptop and desktop. There's some nice touches such as being able to pin contacts to my taskbar. Installation was trouble-free, however, the loading screen duplicates sometimes (there are two loading screens side-by-side) during boot though does not affect normal operation.

However, my comments as regards updates I made earlier in the thread still apply. Windows 8.1, I can decide when to install. Windows 10 ploughs ahead regardless, leading to my already slow broadband grinding to a halt whilst updates install.

Last edited:
I got the update a couple of weeks ago. It took all afternoon and killed my sound. After much fumbling around with drivers and settings I still have no idea how I fixed it, and it still doesn't sound quite right. Good job MS.

I got the update a couple of weeks ago. It took all afternoon and killed my sound. After much fumbling around with drivers and settings I still have no idea how I fixed it, and it still doesn't sound quite right. Good job MS.

Well I'm sure Windows will have successfully changed your privacy settings in the background and mined more of your data for commercial gain without telling you, so the real purpose of their OS update was successful

Well I'm sure Windows will have successfully changed your privacy settings in the background and mined more of your data for commercial gain without telling you, so the real purpose of their OS update was successful

:lol::lol: I'm more concerned with my sound not working properly.

Windows 10 Fall update has just been installed on both my laptop and desktop. There's some nice touches such as being able to pin contacts to my taskbar. Installation was trouble-free, however, the loading screen duplicates sometimes (there are two loading screens side-by-side) during boot though does not affect normal operation.

However, my comments as regards updates I made earlier in the thread still apply. Windows 8.1, I can decide when to install. Windows 10 ploughs ahead regardless, leading to my already slow broadband grinding to a halt whilst updates install.
Yep, Windows 8.1 lets you stop getting updates so your system can potentially get raped by viruses and network attacks because it's not been patches. This can make a whole network vulnerable and it's just not an option any more in 2017. Forced updates are a pain, but necessary.

Yep, Windows 8.1 lets you stop getting updates so your system can potentially get raped by viruses and network attacks because it's not been patches. This can make a whole network vulnerable and it's just not an option any more in 2017. Forced updates are a pain, but necessary.

I'm notified of updates and I can chose when to install them. With a slow broadband connection when I need to do other things, being able to delay updates until I don;t need the internet is invaluable, a point Microsoft and their forced updates misses.

Now I'm not a computer man but I got the update no problems.
But I used to use outlook and for some reason that's disappeared with all me important emails had stored.
Got some advice to go onto windows outlook live, managed to get me old email addresses in (which are POP) haven't got a fcuking clue.
But problem 2 it's downloaded every email from the past, it's slow as fuck & seems to download emails at a rate of 3 hours
Can anybody help how I could get me old system back?

[SOLVED]

Problem:
It seems the permissions on key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control were missing 3 users ( SYSTEM (full), Administrators (full), Users (read) )
So when the system builds HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\hivelist every time the system starts, it's contents are essentially invisible to the upgrade scripts. It therefore thinks there's no users and makes a brand new one.

Fix:
Copy the missing users and permissions from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\ to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ before starting the update

Cause:

Unknown to me, I missed a week of work due to this. MS are still investigating.
Your job is shit

My computer now takes 'for ever' (well, 5 minutes) to close down. Anyone else?

I'm notified of updates and I can chose when to install them. With a slow broadband connection when I need to do other things, being able to delay updates until I don;t need the internet is invaluable, a point Microsoft and their forced updates misses.
That means you're unlikely to have a high disposable income ... so why should Micro$oft be interested in you?

That means you're unlikely to have a high disposable income ... so why should Micro$oft be interested in you?
Nope. It could be a driver is blocking shutdown.. Installed new drivers recently?

:lol:

Very occasionally. Have you lots of background tasks running.

My main reason is I believe the cost of basic broadband is way too high. I don't really need fibre optic speed for what I do as I don't stream that much video. So why should I pay a significant amount more?

Last edited:
My main reason is I believe the cost of basic broadband is way too high. I don't really need fibre optic speed for what I do as I don't stream that much video. So why should I pay a significant amount more?
Just because you don't stream video that often does not mean you can get away with slower broadband. It doesn't work like that. :lol:
A newly produced streamed video these days will be 1080p or 4K. The recommended bitrates for those resolutions are 8-12Mbps (1080p) to (35-68) Mbps... Those speeds are very much fibre optic speeds.

Of course you could be the 0.0001% of people who strictly stuck to 360p videos and text only websites, but nobody cares about people like that.

* "Fibre optics speeds" is a horrible term btw.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back