Hold off on installing Windows 10 "Fall update"

Creators update fucked my laptop and desktop. Was lucky enough to be able to get the laptop going again but had to start from fresh with the desktop.

Again, lucky I keep my work and OS on different drives, but it's a fuck on and a big time sink trying to get it working then giving in and reinstalling everything.

I'd have no problem with them pushing updates as long as they didn't break everything to the point Windows won't start.

Interesting points on Mac OS but their updates aren't without issue either, couple of lads at work have had bother with WiFi after the latest update.

@garyswc Start -> Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Update -> Advanced Options -> Pause Updates -> On

For me it's paused for 36 days from today.

Let me reiterate, this issue may not apply to anyone else here. You may be fine. I'm just letting people know it's happened to me and MS are working with me to find the root cause. They already think it's something to do with account migration.

Done thanks, updates paused until 24 Nov. I'm on version 1703.

@garyswc Start -> Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Update -> Advanced Options -> Pause Updates -> On

For me it's paused for 36 days from today.

Let me reiterate, this issue may not apply to anyone else here. You may be fine. I'm just letting people know it's happened to me and MS are working with me to find the root cause. They already think it's something to do with account migration.
Mine doesn't give me that option. :(

On a side note, Malwarebytes wants to install a new version of itself today. I've tried three times, but each time it crashes my laptop. :confused:

I already have it set up as 'Startup type: Manual', is that enough or do I still need to change it to 'Startup type: Disabled' as they suggest?
I'd try disabled. You'll have to remember manually set it back some time in the future or you'll not get updates that protect your from viruses etc

Pretty sure this wiped out one of my laptops, came up with bad sector on hard drive, couldn't fix it and can't reinstall windows because the windows key is in the Bios and I can't get into the Bios.

Pretty sure this wiped out one of my laptops, came up with bad sector on hard drive, couldn't fix it and can't reinstall windows because the windows key is in the Bios and I can't get into the Bios.
A bad sector is almost certainly a hard drive hardware issue, not Windows. When they say they key is in the BIOS, it means your Windows 10 is registered to your system's BIOS (UEFI) unique fingerprint (or key), so that you can reinstall windows at an time and not need to remember or type in any keys. It makes things a lot easier.

A bad sector is almost certainly a hard drive hardware issue, not Windows. When they say they key is in the BIOS, it means your Windows 10 is registered to your system's BIOS (UEFI) unique fingerprint (or key), so that you can reinstall windows at an time and not need to remember or type in any keys. It makes things a lot easier.
Right! coincidence that this happened right after the update then.

Right! coincidence that this happened right after the update then.
Yes indeed it could be. It could be a certain part of your hard drive has been damaged for a while and the update wrote data on that part. The same thing can happen with RAM too. If you have a broken RAM module that is near your RAM's limit, you'll only trigger errors when you use a large app. So as a user you'd assume it's the app's fault, when it's not.
Bad sectors are 99.9999% due to hardware failures, firmware failures, user error. Never usually software.

That's why I'd never recommend being in the Insider program and using a machine you use a lot with precious data in particular in case it does go bang, the same advice applies to Apple's developer accounts and using beta builds of Mac OS X also.. Though I've never lost any data with my bricked insider builds because I just took the SSD out, stuck it in a USB caddy and copied the files out of the user folder. Put the SSD back in and flattened it so only the settings and customizations went.

Windows isn't the only one pushing major updates hastily, on the Mac there's a box which pops up for OS X updates from the Mac App Store and easily selected it can push the next version out on the .0 release. Every year it pretty much breaks the usual apps like the Adobe CC collection which I've already have one call out about with High Sierra there's going to be more for sure..
Yeah that was my big mistake not having a back up of my c drive. Guess I trusted Microsoft not to release a build that could cause such major problems. The main reason I decided to get the insider build was because I had the pc connected to a HDR tv and wanted to see the creators update support....that was a huge disappointment as well!

Back