Hold off on installing Windows 10 "Fall update"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just because you don't stream video that often does not mean you can get away with slower broadband. It doesn't work like that. :lol:
A newly produced streamed video these days will be 1080p or 4K. The recommended bitrates for those resolutions are 8-12Mbps (1080p) to (35-68) Mbps... Those speeds are very much fibre optic speeds.

Of course you could be the 0.0001% of people who strictly stuck to 360p videos and text only websites, but nobody cares about people like that.

* "Fibre optics speeds" is a horrible term btw.

If I do need to stream anything large, I've a £12 contract with 12Gb 4G on my mobile phone, so I just use that as a Wi-Fi hotshot. ;)

If I do need to stream anything large, I've a £12 contract with 12Gb 4Gon my mobile phone, so I just use that as a Wi-Fi hotshot. ;)
You're confusing bandwidth with total download capacity or size.
The former is like the water pressure in a pipe, the latter is like the size of the reservoir the water is coming from.
1080p to 4K make up the vast majority of new YouTube content and require fibre. It's nothing to do with the duration (size) of the video or how often you access it.

Anyway I'm off to the pub to get shitfaced. Been dealing with a flooded house since Monday

Does anyone else get "a controller error has occured" error messages in their System event log when using a hard drive or SSD connected by USB3?

Anyway I'm off to the pub to get shitfaced. Been dealing with a flooded house since Monday
Me too, get uz a pint of Pilgrim in if you get there first.

I'm going to get nicely happy then uber myself home via the chippy for League of Gentleman.

Last edited:
I'm part of the Windows insiders programme that tests new features and versions of Windows 10 before they are released to the general public. Anyway, the latest update ("fall update") reset my computer's account and then completely killed my system to the point where install disk repairs didn't work. Screwing around in the command line didn't work etc.
I had to do a completely new and fresh re-installation of Windows 10, which is fine.. If you play with Alpha / Beta software you expect things to break and break bad.

Anyhoo I made a new clean install of Windows 10, but with the production version this time, the same as everyone else, not insiders builds. I did all of the updates and when I got to the "fall update" it reset my account again. Rendering my computer mostly useless for the second time in a row.

Some technical info:
After some investigation it seems the new update uses a different user account folder naming convention. When it tried to migrate my user account from "C:\Users\{username}" to "C:\Users\{username}.{computername}" (as a copy operation) it fucked it up somehow. It didn't to it correctly or only part of the user account was copied.
System restore would not fix the issue as it seems to get confused about the two accounts that are really only one.
You can't log in to the old account (not that you'd want to anyway as it will be referencing things from an older version of Windows 10)
Your system is essentially fucked.
This may just be pure unlikely bad luck, it may be specific to my account (as mine is an online account). But it's not hardware related and it's very likely to happen to others.

Lucky, after the first failure I installed the trial of Acronis True Image 2018 that saved my arse.

It will be interesting to see if anyone else gets this problem. If others have this problem, it's a catastrophic issue for Microsoft.
I don't really understand a word you said there but my thirteen year old son was running his laptop without antivirus so I followed the instructions to do a reinstall to factory settings. He has windows 10 and it just seemed to lose everything. PC World asked for £60 to reinstall Windows 10.

I don't really understand a word you said there but my thirteen year old son was running his laptop without antivirus so I followed the instructions to do a reinstall to factory settings. He has windows 10 and it just seemed to lose everything. PC World asked for £60 to reinstall Windows 10.
As the name implies, a factory reset does indeed lose most of your settings. So all of your non- UWP apps will be gone, all of your none cloud media like photos etc.
But, Windows 10 should be perfectly intact.

He had nothing file wise to save but everything is gone.
What do you mean by "everything"... If your talking about apps and pictures then that's supposed to happen , it's a factory reset.. Factory as in how it's released by Microsoft not the vendor who puts thier shit on it.

Is Windows 10 itself working ok?

What do you mean by "everything"... If your talking about apps and pictures then that's supposed to happen , it's a factory reset.. Factory as in how it's released by Microsoft not the vendor who puts thier shit on it.

Is Windows 10 itself working ok?
No its gone. I expected everything else to go but thought it would be as it was bought. Can you buy the operating system as a disk and load it?

Last edited:
Nope. It could be a driver is blocking shutdown.. Installed new drivers recently?

You don't need to have installed new drivers. The updates from Microsoft are so numerous that the compatibility between your computer and drivers you've previously been using without incident is now a problem. Likewise any online or account settings, for example anything that remembers your device, but gets wiped with the latest update and has a limit on how many times you can update or reauthorise.

I've sacked it off at home but still have to use Windows at work. Today's update meant that on the last day of the year when anything can get signed off by management, I spent all day having to switch the cunt off and on again, then when it finally switched back on, it no longer recognises the docking station, a load of new things have been added to start up without asking, and one directory access that I depend on is changed so not sure if I'll be able to access key documents before the end of the year. That's what I've found so far, plus the usual constant 100% disk usage shite.

You're confusing bandwidth with total download capacity or size.
The former is like the water pressure in a pipe, the latter is like the size of the reservoir the water is coming from.
1080p to 4K make up the vast majority of new YouTube content and require fibre. It's nothing to do with the duration (size) of the video or how often you access it.

I'm not sure Doggerland is as I think he/she may be referring to the speed offered by 4G.

My computer now takes 'for ever' (well, 5 minutes) to close down. Anyone else?
Think I've found my problem. WMIPRVSE.exe is f'ed and is now taking up @ 50% of my CPU.

But how to fix it? Microsoft's advice is four years out of date (with replies to the solution 58 years [sic] old) and you appear to need to be MS Certified to understand what the hell they're on about.

Anyone have any tips to cure it, or know of a tool I can download that won't spam my computer until the day it dies?

Think I've found my problem. WMIPRVSE.exe is f'ed and is now taking up @ 50% of my CPU.

But how to fix it? Microsoft's advice is four years out of date (with replies to the solution 58 years [sic] old) and you appear to need to be MS Certified to understand what the hell they're on about.

Anyone have any tips to cure it, or know of a tool I can download that won't spam my computer until the day it dies?

Try these in order to see if it helps:

1) Download a couple of free virus scanners and do full scans
2) Run sfc /scannow from an admin console to check system files
3) If you have Windows 8/10 backup your local files and apps, do a system reset/factory rest. You'll need to reinstall apps
4) If you're running an older version of windows, now is the time to upgrade. Specifically due to the issue I posted earlier today.

How you perform these steps you'll have to do a little bit of Googling.

I was informed to reinstall the latest edition of Windows 10 about six months ago.
I followed instructions, completed the process and it came back with a third of the screen missing on most apps.
Do I need to reinstall it and if so how ?

I was informed to reinstall the latest edition of Windows 10 about six months ago.
I followed instructions, completed the process and it came back with a third of the screen missing on most apps.
Do I need to reinstall it and if so how ?
You shouldn't have to reinstall newer editions of Windows 10 as it will keep itself updated.. but I don't know the background for that recommendation... so...

Starting with Windows 8 there's no need to "format the fucker" anymore. You can do what's called a factory reset or system reset which works like a mobile phone.
This assumes you've backed up all the data you want to keep (if you don't keep it in the cloud) and that you have a somewhat working version of Windows running.

Google those words to find out how.

You shouldn't have to reinstall newer editions of Windows 10 as it will keep itself updated.. but I don't know the background for that recommendation... so...

Starting with Windows 8 there's no need to "format the fucker" anymore. You can do what's called a factory reset or system reset which works like a mobile phone.
This assumes you've backed up all the data you want to keep (if you don't keep it in the cloud) and that you have a somewhat working version of Windows running.

Google those words to find out how.

I originally installed Ten with the free upgrade from Eight a couple or more years back and it worked reasonably well.
However when I got back to UK in June, I allowed it to install the latest version as recommended.
Obviously the install had a problem and the right side of the screen is now blank on most apps.
What’s the next step and how do I go about it.

I originally installed Ten with the free upgrade from Eight a couple or more years back and it worked reasonably well.
However when I got back to UK in June, I allowed it to install the latest version as recommended.
Obviously the install had a problem and the right side of the screen is now blank on most apps.
What’s the next step and how do I go about it.

Logon or register to see this image

Logon or register to see this image

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back