Hold off on installing Windows 10 "Fall update"

I'm part of the Windows insiders programme that tests new features and versions of Windows 10 before they are released to the general public. Anyway, the latest update ("fall update") reset my computer's account and then completely killed my system to the point where install disk repairs didn't work. Screwing around in the command line didn't work etc.
I had to do a completely new and fresh re-installation of Windows 10, which is fine.. If you play with Alpha / Beta software you expect things to break and break bad.

Anyhoo I made a new clean install of Windows 10, but with the production version this time, the same as everyone else, not insiders builds. I did all of the updates and when I got to the "fall update" it reset my account again. Rendering my computer mostly useless for the second time in a row.

Some technical info:
After some investigation it seems the new update uses a different user account folder naming convention. When it tried to migrate my user account from "C:\Users\{username}" to "C:\Users\{username}.{computername}" (as a copy operation) it fucked it up somehow. It didn't to it correctly or only part of the user account was copied.
System restore would not fix the issue as it seems to get confused about the two accounts that are really only one.
You can't log in to the old account (not that you'd want to anyway as it will be referencing things from an older version of Windows 10)
Your system is essentially fucked.
This may just be pure unlikely bad luck, it may be specific to my account (as mine is an online account). But it's not hardware related and it's very likely to happen to others.

Lucky, after the first failure I installed the trial of Acronis True Image 2018 that saved my arse.

It will be interesting to see if anyone else gets this problem. If others have this problem, it's a catastrophic issue for Microsoft.

@Cockney Mackem loves Windows software

To paraphrase my position on these matters:

Remember those horror films when the whole house starts running with blood, down the walls, from the ceiling, out of the taps and exploding out the sink? Well instead of the house it's your computer, and instead of blood it's a million gallons of boiling hot liquid shit

To paraphrase my position on these matters:

Remember those horror films when the whole house starts running with blood, down the walls, from the ceiling, out of the taps and exploding out the sink? Well instead of the house it's your computer, and instead of blood it's a million gallons of boiling hot liquid shit

:lol::lol:

I'm part of the Windows insiders programme that tests new features and versions of Windows 10 before they are released to the general public. Anyway, the latest update ("fall update") reset my computer's account and then completely killed my system to the point where install disk repairs didn't work. Screwing around in the command line didn't work etc.
I had to do a completely new and fresh re-installation of Windows 10, which is fine.. If you play with Alpha / Beta software you expect things to break and break bad.

Anyhoo I made a new clean install of Windows 10, but with the production version this time, the same as everyone else, not insiders builds. I did all of the updates and when I got to the "fall update" it reset my account again. Rendering my computer mostly useless for the second time in a row.

Some technical info:
After some investigation it seems the new update uses a different user account folder naming convention. When it tried to migrate my user account from "C:\Users\{username}" to "C:\Users\{username}.{computername}" (as a copy operation) it fucked it up somehow. It didn't to it correctly or only part of the user account was copied.
System restore would not fix the issue as it seems to get confused about the two accounts that are really only one.
You can't log in to the old account (not that you'd want to anyway as it will be referencing things from an older version of Windows 10)
Your system is essentially fucked.
This may just be pure unlikely bad luck, it may be specific to my account (as mine is an online account). But it's not hardware related and it's very likely to happen to others.

Lucky, after the first failure I installed the trial of Acronis True Image 2018 that saved my arse.

It will be interesting to see if anyone else gets this problem. If others have this problem, it's a catastrophic issue for Microsoft.

Is this the creators edition update (1709) ?

Had it on a few months now, surprised you didn't already have this if you are testing software mate - did you just wait for the official push?

Anyway, went straight onto the NUC with no issues. As you say it does create a copy of the windows folder, but issues wise, nothing to report.

Major windows updates can be an absolute nightmare mind, so you are absolutely right to warn people!

Is this the creators edition update (1709) ?

Had it on a few months now, surprised you didn't already have this if you are testing software mate - did you just wait for the official push?

Anyway, went straight onto the NUC with no issues. As you say it does create a copy of the windows folder, but issues wise, nothing to report.

Major windows updates can be an absolute nightmare mind, so you are absolutely right to warn people!
The newer Fall Creator Edition that's just been released, not the summer one. It was obtained via the Microsoft website.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sof...0X1514734Xf7948214f58ea70b6d092787f37f06cf)()
Logon or register to see this image

(It killed my system when I was on the fast ring when on insiders at the start of the week, but that's alpha / beta software and to be expected. The issue is I formatted with the pure production Windows 10 and the same thing happened.)

This is the first time I've had a system failure in 15 years.

I'm currently talking to the Microsoft Developers from the Insiders program about the issue (I'm a developer myself)

Like I said, it's very likely that most people will have no issues, but not everyone. More importantly it leaves your system fucked.

I've always held off with big operating system updates right away since probably MS-DOS 4.0. Windows 2000 was another memorable killer when it came out, along with Mac OS X 10.0, so bad a piece of unusable shite that Apple did their very best to forget it ever happened rushing out 10.1 in weeks.

My insider build Dell laptop hasn't had a problem with the fall update, but since I've joined over 2 years ago it's been bricked 2/3 times by fast ring insider builds. I couldn't give a toss though I would never rely on a main work machine to run anything unstable.

I wouldn't upgrade to Mac OS X High Sierra either unless you want your messages to take hours, days to arrive after they've been sent via your iPhone or iPad either.

'fools rush in where angels fear to tread' :lol:

I've always held off with big operating system updates right away since probably MS-DOS 4.0. Windows 2000 was another memorable killer when it came out, along with Mac OS X 10.0, so bad a piece of unusable shite that Apple did their very best to forget it ever happened rushing out 10.1 in weeks.

My insider build Dell laptop hasn't had a problem with the fall update, but since I've joined over 2 years ago it's been bricked 2/3 times by fast ring insider builds. I couldn't give a toss though I would never rely on a main work machine to run anything unstable.

I wouldn't upgrade to Mac OS X High Sierra either unless you want your messages to take hours, days to arrive after they've been sent via your iPhone or iPad either.

'fools rush in where angels fear to tread' :lol:
Unfortunately about a 500 million people will be forced to tread "where angels fear to tread" in the next few days, weeks and months because the issue happened with the production version too :eek:
You were one of the majority of people who it seemed to work fine for thankfully.

Can you do a check for me and see if it duplicated / migrated your user account folder?

Pre-Fall update my user accounts were 1:
C:\Users\{username}

Post-Fall update they are 2:
C:\Users\{username}.{computername}

Unfortunately about a 500 million people will be forced to tread "where angels fear to tread" in the next few days, weeks and months because the issue happened with the production version too :eek:
You were one of the majority of people who it seemed to work fine for thankfully.

Can you do a check for me and see if it duplicated / migrated your user account folder?

Pre-Fall update my user accounts were 1:

Post-Fall update they are 2:
C:\Users\{username}.{computername}

Rubbing my hands waiting for the call outs me, fantastic :lol:

My main work machines none of them run 10 I like them not getting broken by updates and just work. Mac's mostly running bootcamp and I've only just upgraded my primary Macs to El Capitan. Got a guinea pig Mac mini I don't care about running High Sierra though similar to the Dell.

The Dell user profiles are fine and normal. Inspiron 15 7637. Though the Bluetooth for mice has been totally and utterly unreliable since the spring update till pretty much a month ago!

Back