Hold off on installing Windows 10 "Fall update"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rubbing my hands waiting for the call outs me, fantastic :lol:

My main work machines none of them run 10 I like them not getting broken by updates and just work. Mac's mostly running bootcamp and I've only just upgraded my primary Macs to El Capitan. Got a guinea pig Mac mini I don't care about running High Sierra though similar to the Dell.

The Dell user profiles are fine and normal. Inspiron 15 7637. Though the Bluetooth for mice has been totally and utterly unreliable since the spring update till pretty much a month ago!
Upsell them Acronis True Image 2018 as it's fantastic.. or some cloud based Azure backup :lol:
Dell user profiles are normal, so no duplication or migrations were made? weird.

Upsell them Acronis True Image 2018 as it's fantastic.. or some cloud based Azure backup :lol:
Dell user profiles are normal, so no duplication or migrations were made? weird.

I use Acronis for myself occasionally but I run a 2012E server box to backup all the main machines. Time capsule for the OSX sides of the Macs and winclone for the windows images I copy to the 2012 box. Punters, well I charge by the hour :lol:

The Dell I don't care, it's got an 850 pro SSD I'll just wipe the thing and start again. A brickable system and I've also got a spare iPhone for running dev builds of iOS too. Never my primary devices ever.

Do you have a new people icon on the right of your taskbar? (The one in the middle) If yes, then it's installed.
Logon or register to see this image

No, not yet and why would I want that feature???

Microsoft are really good at shoving stuff onto people they don't necessarily want.

I use Acronis for myself occasionally but I run a 2012E server box to backup all the main machines. Time capsule for the OSX sides of the Macs and winclone for the windows images I copy to the 2012 box. Punters, well I charge by the hour :lol:

The Dell I don't care, it's got an 850 pro SSD I'll just wipe the thing and start again. A brickable system and I've also got a spare iPhone for running dev builds of iOS too. Never my primary devices ever.

Hmm, Mac user. So if someone had a PC, which version of Windows would you be suggesting?

I put the image there just to answer your identification question, not to up sell you on the new feature :lol:

The update contains far, far more than just that. As for why you'd wan't any of them, and what they do, you'll have to do your own research and decide yourself by using Google. :D

I put the image there just to answer your identification question, not to up sell you on the new feature :lol:

The update contains far, far more than just that. As for why you'd wan't any of them, and what they do, you'll have to do your own research and decide yourself by using Google. :D

I know you weren't trying to sell me on new features. The point I was making was why am I having new features foisted on me by Microsoft without me having the choice of which options I want installed. Why with each of these updates am I being made to have features I don't necessarily need and therefore are taking up hard disk space I could be using for other things?

The 500GB on my laptop SDD is not infinite.

Microsoft are really good at shoving stuff onto people they don't necessarily want.

Hmm, Mac user. So if someone had a PC, which version of Windows would you be suggesting?
I'm a very rare type that's always used both Mac and Windows for over 25 years. Since 2005 when Apple went Intel I could finally begin to get rid of duplicate systems. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. Win 10 is good, but retail versions of Windows 10 Home get the major updates first as the consumers are the guinea pigs with bricked systems. My girls laptops are HP Probook 450 business grade models running Win 10 Pro and they seem to take months before Windows decides to push a major update on them luckily. The spring update iirc was taking so long I think I did the update myself using the update ISO tool from Microsoft.

I never sell or recommend to any of my clients any retail PC hardware, only business grade stuff from HP and Dell with 3 year minimum next business day warranty. They are flimsy, don't last long, the parts cost a bomb whereas the biz grade stuff just works.

I know you weren't trying to sell me on new features. The point I was making was why am I having new features foisted on me by Microsoft without me having the choice of which options I want installed. Why with each of these updates am I being made to have features I don't necessarily need and therefore are taking up hard disk space I could be using for other things?

The 500GB on my laptop SDD is not infinite.
Because starting with Windows 10, it's "Windows as a service" rather than "Windows as a standalone product + patches". Windows 10 will be the last version of windows (apparently) and just updated, renewed, patched and modernised over the years.
(Just as a side note, realistically that can't go on forever however as fundamental changes in OSs will make this impossible over decades)

Installations of Windows over the last few versions have actually decreased not increased and use less than 10% of your 500gb SSD

Windows 10 without doubt is the best system for me. As a developer, content creator, gamer and general use it can't be beaten by any other platform or system.

I'm a very rare type that's always used both Mac and Windows for over 25 years. Since 2005 when Apple went Intel I could finally begin to get rid of duplicate systems. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. Win 10 is good, but retail versions of Windows 10 Home get the major updates first as the consumers are the guinea pigs with bricked systems. My girls laptops are HP Probook 450 business grade models running Win 10 Pro and they seem to take months before Windows decides to push a major update on them luckily. The spring update iirc was taking so long I think I did the update myself using the update ISO tool from Microsoft.

I never sell or recommend to any of my clients any retail PC hardware, only business grade stuff from HP and Dell with 3 year minimum next business day warranty. They are flimsy, don't last long, the parts cost a bomb whereas the biz grade stuff just works.

Some good points. My current desktop is a very reliable HP, which does exactly what I want without complaint. My laptop is a Dell, with which I have no complaints either. Prior to that, I had a slow, basic but reliable HP.

The only major cock-ups I've had have been self-inflicted (i.e. trying to do a dual-boot with Windows 10 and Ubuntu - another story).

Some good points. My current desktop is a very reliable HP, which does exactly what I want without complaint. My laptop is a Dell, with which I have no complaints either. Prior to that, I had a slow, basic but reliable HP.

The only major cock-ups I've had have been self-inflicted (i.e. trying to do a dual-boot with Windows 10 and Ubuntu - another story).
I managed to wreck one of my Macbook Pro setups by triple booting windows, Linux and OSX happens to us all sometimes. Now I can't be arsed just use another machine instead!

Two reasons:

For vulnerability patches:
The reason is that people will decide not to update, make thier computer vunderable to attacks and then proclaim that the issue is with Windows 10. When in fact it's because they never updated.

For feature sets:
Because Microsoft make an OS that works on 2 billion computers and can't tailor it just for you. Not completely anyway. If they did, then they would have to support 100's of different update feature versions of Windows 10, which is impractical.

Imagine using Windows :lol:
2 billion people don't have to imagine and actually get to play games too :lol:

Imagine using Windows :lol:
My 12 core Mac Pro 3.46 Ghz with 48Gb Ram not only monsters any Mac apart from a Mac Pro 8 core black can in OS X, it transcodes HD and 4k video in Windows much faster than on the Mac. And for file management Finder is still an utter piece of shite compared to Windows Explorer. Still prefer to video edit on the Mac in FCPX though. Security for n00bs and extra cautious it's got to be the Mac.

Each has their strengths and weaknesses and I'm a fan of both.

Yes Mac OS is free. However Windows 10 is not outside of the promotional offer. :lol:
Sorry for the late reply, I'm busy playing the latest games while typing this on the same computer. How's solitaire? :lol:
To be fair I've got plenty of punters playing solitaire on their Mac using Parallels. Like Accounts people running Sage in a Windows VM and they can do their online banking on the Mac side, along with most malware attachments that Apple Mail says 'doesn't work' to!

My 12 core Mac Pro running bootcamp can game rather well with a GTX 980, the Windows Performance Indexes are all 7.9. The 6 core with a GTX 680 isn't bad either too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back