Hold off on installing Windows 10 "Fall update"

I'll stick with Apple ta.
I've never owned or used a Mac. I've been a Windows user since you could boot it off two 3.5" floppies. Windows 10 is shite.
It's the most versatile, performant, secure operating system there is. There's simply no comparison. All of the competition fail massively in at least one major category. Be it security, updates, app, games.

A huge help.
Sorry mate I'm not here to Google for you and list all of the steps needed to deffer updates when you can just type those 3 words into Google.
You've already done more work posting here than you needed to Google.

It's the most versatile, performant, secure operating system there is. There's simply no comparison. All of the competition fail massively in at least one major category. Be it security, updates, app, games.

Sorry mate I'm not here to Google for you and list all of the steps needed to deffer updates when you can just type those 3 words into Google.
You've already done more work posting here than you needed to Google.

Microsoft are a bunch of c_unts basically.

Microsoft are a bunch of c_unts basically.
To be honest, I'm on the fence about Windows 10 pushing updates on you in the way that it does, but I'm 100% on board with them doing it in principle.

On one hand it can install things you never asked for and even restart your computer when you didn't want it too. That's a pain in the arse and it's happened to me during working on something.

On the other hand it keeps your computer secure with updates so no more moaning you've been hacked
Just about every time we see Windows being hacked in the media it's because the user has not been manually updating thier computer or had disabled them, thus using an old version.

I for one would much rather have the inconvenience of having my computer install updates than my credit card details being stolen, my online accounts hijacked, the NHS being held to ransom or a £2 billion Royal Navy aircraft carrier running Windows XP from 200 years ago.

It's much better this way for everyone, although it could be implemented better.

To be honest, I'm on the fence about Windows 10 pushing updates on you in the way that it does, but I'm 100% on board with them doing it in principle.

On one hand it can install things you never asked for and even restart your computer when you didn't want it too. That's a pain in the arse and it's happened to me during working on something.

On the other hand it keeps your computer secure with updates so no more moaning you've been hacked
Just about every time we see Windows being hacked in the media it's because the user has not been manually updating thier computer or had disabled them, thus using an old version.

I for one would much rather have the inconvenience of having my computer install updates than my credit card details being stolen, my online accounts hijacked, the NHS being held to ransom or a £2 billion Royal Navy aircraft carrier running Windows XP from 200 years ago.

It's much better this way for everyone, although it could be implemented better.

I've just paid a grand for a laptop that's only been out the box 3 weeks so I'm keen to avoid any nightmares such as you described in the OP. I will follow your advice and find out how to defer the update, is there a suggested length of time that I should defer for whilst any major issues are sorted? The laptop is W10 Pro if it makes any difference. Cheers

I've just paid a grand for a laptop that's only been out the box 3 weeks so I'm keen to avoid any nightmares such as you described in the OP. I will follow your advice and find out how to defer the update, is there a suggested length of time that I should defer for whilst any major issues are sorted? The laptop is W10 Pro if it makes any difference. Cheers
@garyswc Start -> Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Update -> Advanced Options -> Pause Updates -> On

For me it's paused for 36 days from today.

Let me reiterate, this issue may not apply to anyone else here. You may be fine. I'm just letting people know it's happened to me and MS are working with me to find the root cause. They already think it's something to do with account migration.

On the Insider builds and didn't see the issues you mentioned (thank fk).

Hopefully the MS boffins will work out what happened, as that could be a pain in the arse if even 0.01% had it

I'm part of the Windows insiders programme that tests new features and versions of Windows 10 before they are released to the general public. Anyway, the latest update ("fall update") reset my computer's account and then completely killed my system to the point where install disk repairs didn't work. Screwing around in the command line didn't work etc.
I had to do a completely new and fresh re-installation of Windows 10, which is fine.. If you play with Alpha / Beta software you expect things to break and break bad.

Anyhoo I made a new clean install of Windows 10, but with the production version this time, the same as everyone else, not insiders builds. I did all of the updates and when I got to the "fall update" it reset my account again. Rendering my computer mostly useless for the second time in a row.

Some technical info:
After some investigation it seems the new update uses a different user account folder naming convention. When it tried to migrate my user account from "C:\Users\{username}" to "C:\Users\{username}.{computername}" (as a copy operation) it fucked it up somehow. It didn't to it correctly or only part of the user account was copied.
System restore would not fix the issue as it seems to get confused about the two accounts that are really only one.
You can't log in to the old account (not that you'd want to anyway as it will be referencing things from an older version of Windows 10)
Your system is essentially fucked.
This may just be pure unlikely bad luck, it may be specific to my account (as mine is an online account). But it's not hardware related and it's very likely to happen to others.

Lucky, after the first failure I installed the trial of Acronis True Image 2018 that saved my arse.

It will be interesting to see if anyone else gets this problem. If others have this problem, it's a catastrophic issue for Microsoft.
Something similar happened to me before the creators update got released when I was in the insider programme. I was stuck in a constant boot loop into the bios because it couldn't find an operating system. I tried eveything to sort it out but ended up having to reformat the c drive and reinstall Windows. Lost everything. I'm on the fall update now so luckily it went okay!

@garyswc Start -> Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Update -> Advanced Options -> Pause Updates -> On

For me it's paused for 36 days from today.

Let me reiterate, this issue may not apply to anyone else here. You may be fine. I'm just letting people know it's happened to me and MS are working with me to find the root cause. They already think it's something to do with account migration.

Thanks very much for that, it's appreciated. Some update ran a few days ago but I paid no attention to it. I'm keen to stay protected but would rather bugs are ironed out first.

I shall check which build number I'm on first.

On the Insider builds and didn't see the issues you mentioned (thank fk).

Hopefully the MS boffins will work out what happened, as that could be a pain in the arse if even 0.01% had it
Yep, this is my point exactly.

Something similar happened to me before the creators update got released when I was in the insider programme. I was stuck in a constant boot loop into the bios because it couldn't find an operating system. I tried eveything to sort it out but ended up having to reformat the c drive and reinstall Windows. Lost everything. I'm on the fall update now so luckily it went okay!
I had that issue too. Boot loop of "automatically applying fixes" and no way to break out of it. Using the boot repair disk didn't help.. = Format the fucker :lol:

Thanks very much for that, it's appreciated. Some update ran a few days ago but I paid no attention to it. I'm keen to stay protected but would rather bugs are ironed out first.

I shall check which build number I'm on first.
This is my PRE fall update with the best version of windows that works for me.

Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:

It's a catch 22. Every time they flood you with another set of updates it fucks something new, and harvests more of your data out through Cuntana. The only solution offered is to roll back to the previous updates and leave a security hole. How come security is important enough to insist on endless updates degrading performance, but not important enough for them to stop and stabilise their OS and stop selling my keystrokes?

That's why I'd never recommend being in the Insider program and using a machine you use a lot with precious data in particular in case it does go bang, the same advice applies to Apple's developer accounts and using beta builds of Mac OS X also.. Though I've never lost any data with my bricked insider builds because I just took the SSD out, stuck it in a USB caddy and copied the files out of the user folder. Put the SSD back in and flattened it so only the settings and customizations went.

Windows isn't the only one pushing major updates hastily, on the Mac there's a box which pops up for OS X updates from the Mac App Store and easily selected it can push the next version out on the .0 release. Every year it pretty much breaks the usual apps like the Adobe CC collection which I've already have one call out about with High Sierra there's going to be more for sure..

Back