High blood pressure

I had really high BP and it was due to the usual, being slightly overweight and too much drink. The doc suggested going on tablets but I wanted to manage it myself and get it down naturally.

Of course, I didn’t make the required changes and ended up having a mini stroke. Now on tablets galore and have some permanent health issues following the bleed.

Bottom line, if the doc suggests going on tablets, get it done AND make lifestyle changes

Anyone got any tips on best way to get it down? Been to the docs and they want to put me on tablets but I want to try and get it down naturally before I do that.
I'm 46 and probably drink about 40 to 50 units of alcohol a week which obviously doesn't help but I do get quite a lot of exercise. My diet isn't too bad. Never add.salt and I'm vegatarian. Thanks for all replies.
I had my annual health check a month ago and I was told by the nurse that if I'd admitted to having had any of the dizziness, headaches etc in the past she would have sent me straight to A& E there and then.
I took my BP morning and night for a week and after checking the results the GP put me on the lowest dose tablets and asked me to leave it three weeks then do the same again. Those tablets together with a few changes to my diet have brought my BP down dramatically.
The moral of the story mate is take the tablets if the GP is advising it and keep checking your BP on a regular basis. Swallowing a little tablet once a day could save your life.
What the hell do they want it to be like?
At your age it should be about 124/77

Last edited:
I had my annual health check a month ago and I was told by the nurse that if I'd admitted to having had any of the dizziness, headaches etc in the past she would have sent me straight to A& E there and then.
I took my BP morning and night for a week and after checking the results the GP put me on the lowest dose tablets and asked me to leave it three weeks then do the same again. Those tablets together with a few changes to my diet have brought my BP down dramatically.
The moral of the story mate is take the tablets if the GP is advising it and keep checking your BP on a regular basis. Swallowing a little tablet once a day could save your life.

At your age it should be about 124/77
Nurse told me for my age she would have been happy with 140 over 90.

If you are using a home BP machine make sure you have the correct size sleeve. Apparently it causes all kinds of bullshit readings if you dont't.

If your GP recommends medication please accept their advice.

They are not doing it for shits and giggles. Take the tablets, exercise every day, try to eat clean and chill.

I wish I could do the meditation thing, people on here have tried to help me but it just does not work for me.

I’m gutted. I would love to be able to do it.

Been to docs yestersay, felt unwell for a week, BP high so monitoring it over the next week while blood samples sent off to find cause hopefully.

Been on the tablets (mix of Amlodipine and Ramipril) for 18 months now and the BP has stabilised. Just need to have a blood test and a check-in with the BP clinic at the surgery once a year. Suspect I will be on them for life.

Been on the tablets (mix of Amlodipine and Ramipril) for 18 months now and the BP has stabilised. Just need to have a blood test and a check-in with the BP clinic at the surgery once a year. Suspect I will be on them for life.

Ramipril caused me to have a cough from hell. Barely slept in 2 weeks. Of course it was when I was on holiday, no escape from it the missus was demented. I think the whole plane on the return flight thought I had covid.

Suppressant worked but as I soon as I stopped the cough returned. Stopped the ramipril, cough disappeared.

Back