High blood pressure

Do you get nervous at the docs ?

As ' white coat syndrome' can push your pressure up significantly

If you think that is possible, get a home device & measure it when you're calm.
It doesn't help that some nurses and even doctors don't really know how to take blood pressure readings.

There are a number of factors that can influence the readings, like posture, the gap between different readings, whether you've just eaten, and even whether the cuff has been fitted properly.

It doesn't help that some nurses and even doctors don't really know how to take blood pressure readings.

There are a number of factors that can influence the readings, like posture, the gap between different readings, whether you've just eaten, and even whether the cuff has been fitted properly.
Funny you say that, my BP is always higher than they like but when I ask if my AF affects the BP reading none of them seem to know!

Im fine at docs tbh
Bought one last night, its still been 190/120 last night and this morn. So i suppose its gone down slightly.
Don't despair, the meds can take a while

Few things to try in addition to the meds -

If you're overweight (?) I find the zero sugar & carbon diet good to do a couple of days of the week .......Ie no bread, pasta, rice ,cakes , pastry , potatoes, sugar , chocolate , jam etc on those days. Everything else ( meat, fish , veg , salad) is good - so its not too onerous for 2 days .

The kgs fall off me when I do this in conjunction with a bit of light exercise ( walking the dog twice a day for a few km etc )

Another is garlic - this suppresses BP temporarily if you eat a clove a day & garlic supplements . In my case I noticed a 10% drop.

Finally, when I'm feeling stressed ( usually this is when my BP is highest) I do a bit of meditation. 10 mins of breathing exercises where the goal is to relax each part of the body in turn- and attempt to lower your pulse rate.

And of course , limit any booze & smoking . Smoking is a big no no
Funny you say that, my BP is always higher than they like but when I ask if my AF affects the BP reading none of them seem to know!
AF ?

Last edited:

Yes I often find myself in a chair with nowhere to support my arm . There should be a standard posture for BP- but I've had sitting , lying down , arm support , no arm support .
When I do it at home I'm siting relaxed on the settee with a cushion supporting my arm & the reading is normal .

Sitting in a docs surgery is a very non relaxing place for me

Last edited:
Atrial Fibrillation, so basically a dicky ticker which, to my untrained but logical mind, must have an impact on blood pressure.
I was recently diagnosed with AF. When I last went for my BP check, the nurse used the electronic tester and it was quite high. She said that they could be affected by AF and decided to do it manually (stethoscope and sphygmomanometer) and the result dropped.

I always thought mine which has always been about 122 / 75 was absolutely tip top . Got a shock last week when they said it was "elevated" .

They read it as 123/75. It's arnly gone up 1 🤣

I thought 140/80 was when it was a bit shit

140/80 is the top end of normal. 123/75 is fine.

I suffer from white coat syndrome when I get it taken at doctors, it used to be for my work medical so was very important, which made it worse.

I used to take my own at home for a few weeks before my medicals and record the readings. The doctors used to accept them.

Anyone got any tips on best way to get it down? Been to the docs and they want to put me on tablets but I want to try and get it down naturally before I do that.
I'm 46 and probably drink about 40 to 50 units of alcohol a week which obviously doesn't help but I do get quite a lot of exercise. My diet isn't too bad. Never add.salt and I'm vegatarian. Thanks for all replies.
Eat 3 kiwis per day with the skins on.

140/80 is the top end of normal. 123/75 is fine.

I suffer from white coat syndrome when I get it taken at doctors, it used to be for my work medical so was very important, which made it worse.

I used to take my own at home for a few weeks before my medicals and record the readings. The doctors used to accept them.
Changed guidelines so apparently anything over 120 starts to be seen as elevated and 140 which would have been seen as okay is now high.
Oats and beetroot are supposed to be good for lowering BP.

Last edited:

Back