Hearing back after a job interview

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's my thoughts. She's 16 and been sat by the phone all day on edge.

I think they should maybe say at the very least 'if you don't hear by 6pm Monday you've been unsuccessful '. She has no idea why she hasn't got the job, it's a bit frustrating.

sadly it's a cutthroat throwaway society nowadays mate kids haven't got a chance to progress, seriously i wouldn't like to be a youngun now. housing ladder forget that ffs :evil:

Is it normal for employers to just not ring back after an interview if it wasn't successful ? Our lasses youngin (16 y/o) has been for a few interviews and obviously not been successful but she reckons they say 'we'll let you know' and then they never ring. It's bad form imo as in my line of work feedback from interviews is vital.

Why is she waiting to hear back? Give them a day or two and then have the bairn follow up. Quick call to the interviewer can make all the difference.

Is it normal for employers to just not ring back after an interview if it wasn't successful ? Our lasses youngin (16 y/o) has been for a few interviews and obviously not been successful but she reckons they say 'we'll let you know' and then they never ring. It's bad form imo as in my line of work feedback from interviews is vital.

She should always follow up after the interview, no matter what.

As a recruiter, I knew loads of candidates who would be great for a role, knocked back because their follow up skills where shite!

Last edited:

If he’s not gay or a tranny he won’t get it

Amazing that a job interview is a cure for deafness - does it work for tinnitus too?

Edit - on a serious note hope she gets something soon marra.

Why is she waiting to hear back? Give them a day or two and then have the bairn follow up. Quick call to the interviewer can make all the difference.

She should always follow up after the interview, no matter what.

As a recruiter, I knew loads of candidates who would be great for a role, knocked back because their follow up skills where shite!

tried explaining this to her in a million different ways.

sadly it's a cutthroat throwaway society nowadays mate kids haven't got a chance to progress, seriously i wouldn't like to be a youngun now. housing ladder forget that ffs :evil:

she's been round the town with her printed out CV's, into most shops, and most in Dalton Park, plus applied for probably 20 posts that were advertised online. she's had 3 phone calls back, 2 of which ended with an interview. its basic work she's looking for, just as side job while she studies, but i imagine there must be dozens applying for each position

Last edited:
It’s rubbish. I’ve been trying to get a new job for a while and it’s awful to not hear back. How hard can it be to send a ‘thanks but no thanks’ email to all unsuccessful applicants?

Even then, I’ve had ones where I’ve been for interview and then they don’t message again. I had an interview (whole day assessment actually) two weeks ago and they never got back to me. I emailed today asking what was happening and they called me an hour later saying I was not successful.

I volunteered at a charity the other week and helped with an event to enable young disadvantaged adults (kids really) with stuff related to employability.

Those of them that demonstrated the willingness, determination and focus to go through the balls-ache ( to them especially) process of job application told me how utterly devastating and disappointing it was to get a b s o l u t e l y no response whatsoever from organisations large and small who advertised and invited people like them to apply.

All it takes is a ‘no thanks’. That’s the absolute minimum. Not even ‘feedback’ not even an explanation. Not even advice or guidance on how to do better. Just a response. Any sort of response.

It was difficult to offer guidance on how to overcome the feelings of futility and constant isolation and tenaciously keep going when the people and employers you aspire to join aren’t demonstrating the basic values and behaviours that they’d expect from somebody who works for them.

And yes we all know that’s the way of the worlds and reality and all that ... but I’ve always been frustrated by the seeming inability of people and companies to simply state a courteous ‘no’. I’ve thought that for 40 years.

tried explaining this to her in a million different ways.

she's been round the town with her printed out CV's, into most shops, and most in Dalton Park, plus applied for probably 20 posts that were advertised online. she's had 3 phone calls back, 2 of which ended with an interview. its basic work she's looking for, just as side job while she studies, but i imagine there must be dozens applying for each position

Tell her she’s a f***ing star and a comparative rarity in doing what’s she’s doing. Tell her to keep at it and tell her your’re proud of her - coz you should be. And I bet you are.

There was a thread on this a while back where I was vilified. I agree 100% that you should be told one way or the other.
I also think for internal interviews you should give feedback. Where I slightly disagree is that for external interviews, whilst it is best practice and preferable to give feedback, it's not always possible for various reasons and interviewees should not expect it. It's a courtesy not a right. Plenty of people disagreed.
I'm not planning on getting into the argument again but I'm sure someone could dig up the thread if they wanted.:lol:

I give feedback when I can, but I think giving feedback to external candidates should be conditional on them promising that they understand that this is feedback and not another attempt at the interview so please don't start arguing or trying to show how the feedback is wrong.

This thing for not telling candidates that they're unsuccessful is just terrible.

I volunteered at a charity the other week and helped with an event to enable young disadvantaged adults (kids really) with stuff related to employability.

Those of them that demonstrated the willingness, determination and focus to go through the balls-ache ( to them especially) process of job application told me how utterly devastating and disappointing it was to get a b s o l u t e l y no response whatsoever from organisations large and small who advertised and invited people like them to apply.

All it takes is a ‘no thanks’. That’s the absolute minimum. Not even ‘feedback’ not even an explanation. Not even advice or guidance on how to do better. Just a response. Any sort of response.

It was difficult to offer guidance on how to overcome the feelings of futility and constant isolation and tenaciously keep going when the people and employers you aspire to join aren’t demonstrating the basic values and behaviours that they’d expect from somebody who works for them.

And yes we all know that’s the way of the worlds and reality and all that ... but I’ve always been frustrated by the seeming inability of people and companies to simply state a courteous ‘no’. I’ve thought that for 40 years.

Tell her she’s a f***ing star and a comparative rarity in doing what’s she’s doing. Tell her to keep at it and tell her your’re proud of her - coz you should be. And I bet you are.

what he said^

the bairn did an interview saturday morning, said it went ok, bit tricky, then a work trail on the shop floor in dalton park, offering people free samples and then helped an old couple find a particular product. the old fella was lovely to her she said. she was quite chipper when she came out. she researched the company on friday night in preparation, as the company is very famous for its 'fair trade', 'ethical', 'against animal testing' type philosophy. they know she is 16.

if she doesnt hear owt in next few days i really want to ring the manager and ask why she doesnt feel that the bairn deserves a 30 second phone call given all the points above. but i don't want to step on the bairns toes

what he said^

the bairn did an interview saturday morning, said it went ok, bit tricky, then a work trail on the shop floor in dalton park, offering people free samples and then helped an old couple find a particular product. the old fella was lovely to her she said. she was quite chipper when she came out. she researched the company on friday night in preparation, as the company is very famous for its 'fair trade', 'ethical', 'against animal testing' type philosophy. they know she is 16.

if she doesnt hear owt in next few days i really want to ring the manager and ask why she doesnt feel that the bairn deserves a 30 second phone call given all the points above. but i don't want to step on the bairns toes

I feel like I want to know that too :).

Will you let us know how she gets on?

Under GDPR she has a right to call or email and request a copy of the interview notes plus anything else they hold on her.

I think if they’re hand written they don’t count, (can someone confirm?) but they should still have entered something into a system somewhere so it’s worth dropping GDPR into the request.

Almost all employment agencies and some employers are complete shits. As others have said they could contact half a dozen people in less than 10 minutes but they don't bother their lazy arses.

I had an interview where there was only 2 candidates and was told they'd be in touch soon re: a 2nd interview. I waited a week and emailed to ask what was happening. They sent me a snotty email saying they'd already told me (as below). I pointed out that the email below contained a typo so I hadn't received it :)

They sent an even snottier email which I ignored despite thinking I should tell them that I was pleased I wasn't being considered by a firm of ignorant rank amateurs :)

Ironically I now work for a major rival of theirs!

Good luck to the bairn, seems a good, keen lass.

This reminds me of my hissy thread a couple of years back.

Arsehole Recruiters

Funnily enough I did find a really good recruiter not too long after that who landed me a cracking job, still in it now.

All part of life's rich tapestry it seems.

Not the norm for me but I have had it. Says a lot about the interviewer if they can't be arsed to get back to people after the prep, travel and interview time that goes into it. They get paid for it too, candidates don't. Couple of minutes to phone. Even less to send an email.

One that really pissed me off took me a few nights to prep for. Half a day travel and interview. They took weeks to make a decision, kept apologising and always had an excuse. Then they sent a standard 'we regret to inform you...' email. I asked for some feedback and was told no problem, they'd check their notes... then I never heard back :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back