Hearing back after a job interview

tunstallhill

Striker
Is it normal for employers to just not ring back after an interview if it wasn't successful ? Our lasses youngin (16 y/o) has been for a few interviews and obviously not been successful but she reckons they say 'we'll let you know' and then they never ring. It's bad form imo as in my line of work feedback from interviews is vital.

Is it normal for employers to just not ring back after an interview if it wasn't successful ? Our lasses youngin (16 y/o) has been for a few interviews and obviously not been successful but she reckons they say 'we'll let you know' and then they never ring. It's bad form imo as in my line of work feedback from interviews is vital.

Yes unfortunately, at the point they don't want your services they usually couldn't give a shite about the applicant.

He'd be well within his rights to call and ask for feedback. Probably good for him to to have some form of professional contact

There was a thread on this a while back where I was vilified. I agree 100% that you should be told one way or the other.
I also think for internal interviews you should give feedback. Where I slightly disagree is that for external interviews, whilst it is best practice and preferable to give feedback, it's not always possible for various reasons and interviewees should not expect it. It's a courtesy not a right. Plenty of people disagreed.
I'm not planning on getting into the argument again but I'm sure someone could dig up the thread if they wanted.:lol:

if mine don't give a date and say we will be in touch, i generally ring them back a week later to ask about how my application was going. if they then say i was unsuccessful i ask them to explain what they thought i was missing to be their ideal candidate, how i could have presented myself better etc.

There was a thread on this a while back where I was vilified. I agree 100% that you should be told one way or the other.
I also think for internal interviews you should give feedback. Where I slightly disagree is that for external interviews, whilst it is best practice and preferable to give feedback, it's not always possible for various reasons and interviewees should not expect it. It's a courtesy not a right. Plenty of people disagreed.
I'm not planning on getting into the argument again but I'm sure someone could dig up the thread if they wanted.:lol:

Even a simple 'we had other candidates that were more suitable ' generic response would be acceptable

Yep, that's the norm. I once didn't even get any feedback I'd got the f***ing job.

The HR lass who was meant to let the recruiter know fucked off on holiday for a fortnight and they couldn't tell me if I'd got it or not.

ffs it would take a couple of minutes to phone the kid up and give her a bit feedback on her interview, some firms are right arseholes

That's my thoughts. She's 16 and been sat by the phone all day on edge.

I think they should maybe say at the very least 'if you don't hear by 6pm Monday you've been unsuccessful '. She has no idea why she hasn't got the job, it's a bit frustrating.

That's my thoughts. She's 16 and been sat by the phone all day on edge.

I think they should maybe say at the very least 'if you don't hear by 6pm Monday you've been unsuccessful '. She has no idea why she hasn't got the job, it's a bit frustrating.
What kind of jobs is she going after out of interest?

She should get used to it I'm afraid.

What employees actually mean is "We'll let you know if we want to talk to you again / you're successful."

I've sometimes had responses in the past to let me know I've been unsuccessful. I got told once via an agent the company concerned had asked me to "Fuck off" (actual words used).

It linked back to a previous boss of mine committing fraud and they worked out from my CV I'd worked for him at the time he committed the fraud.

Guilt by association if not deed.

Back