Harry Kane?????

Kane will play basically every game because he's captain and Southgate lacks the balls to drop him.

He may rest him against Czech as we are basically through but he will be straight back in whilst underperforming in the knock outs.
I don't think it's anything to do with Southgate's balls tbh. Kane isn't performing so far but simply dropping him isn't necessarily the answer. I'm not sure Calvert-Lewin would be doing any better, he's nowhere near as good and he'd still be getting fuck all service. I think we suffer (which was always one of my worries) from a lack of a quality alternative to Kane. If Kane doesn't perform then our only small chance of winning it disappears imo. If he's knackered then rest him on Tuesday. If he's just out of form you have to keep with him and hope it clicks or else we're fucked anyway. But we need to play in a way that creates a chance for him like

A firing Harry Kane is as good as any striker in this tournament. At present though, he looks anonymous in a team bereft of attacking ideas.

Also, as others here have said he looks jaded and lacklustre. With all the speculation around his future, it has to be having an effect if you ask me. Not a good set of circumstances.

We have one game now when we can try alternatives, after that its too late.

Give them all a run out; use 5 subs.

DCL should start for Czech. We have qualified basically, and he holds it up well. His aerial threat would have given the scots something to think about.

If he plays well, he is an option for last 16, if hes poor Kane starts in the knock out. win/win

Flat back 4 isn’t be working. England need to play wing backs to create chances.

If Southgate allowed the full backs to get up the pitch and create some width we wouldn't need wing backs. He played defensive full backs v Croatia who sat in then replaced them for attacking full backs v Scotland and still asked them to sit in.

With two sitting cm's and Kane, Mount and Foden interchanging centrally there's no reason the full backs should be glued to our cb's.

Last edited:
Another way of looking at this is we have not lost, we have 4 points already and we have not let a goal in yet. If we beat The Czech Republic and Kane scores then fickle attitudes will swing back again like smoke from a chimney.

Another way of looking at this is we have not lost, we have 4 points already and we have not let a goal in yet. If we beat The Czech Republic and Kane scores then fickle attitudes will swing back again like smoke from a chimney.
You’re exactly right. The overreaction (me included) has come from not beat a local rival.

England are in a very good position to qualify, the defence is looking solid and there’s another game to put things right.

Scotland on the other hand, for all their gloating have a mounting to climb. For some reason they think the Croatia game is a forgone conclusion.

I don't think it's anything to do with Southgate's balls tbh. Kane isn't performing so far but simply dropping him isn't necessarily the answer. I'm not sure Calvert-Lewin would be doing any better, he's nowhere near as good and he'd still be getting fuck all service. I think we suffer (which was always one of my worries) from a lack of a quality alternative to Kane. If Kane doesn't perform then our only small chance of winning it disappears imo. If he's knackered then rest him on Tuesday. If he's just out of form you have to keep with him and hope it clicks or else we're fucked anyway. But we need to play in a way that creates a chance for him like

He is definitely out of sorts and I don't think two defensive mids is helping him either. We need to pick Phillips or Rice and then shoe horn some more creativity in there.

Yes watching ronaldo and lewandowski, puts into perspective how bad Kane has been in the last two games, he’s either injured or has been told to stay up front and not drop deep, cos he just isn’t getting involved at all!

You should really look at the form of players over the last few weeks of the Premiere league and pick those who were performing ....Kane s form definately took a dip either because of the way he was told to play or because of his transfer situation and being stuck at Spurs....I would stick with him for the time being but hes definately not a captain and it should be handed to someone else.....dont know who apart from Henderson but hes not match fit.....hes not the only one though who was not playing well in the league....Stirling and Rashford to name a couple
Personally I think at international level it’s totally irrelevant who the captain is!

He did get a kick. Just either lost the ball, fell over or passed it straight to an opponent nearly every time meaning we couldn't build an attack, particulary as he comes so deep for that reason.

No idea how that's the same as a keeper not having a howler tbh.

fair comment, I suppose the point I’m trying to make, but badly is that he’s not in form, so expecting a centre forward who is not in form to turn a game which is generating nothing in or around the box is wishful thinking at best.
Personally I think at international level it’s totally irrelevant who the captain is!
Gary Linker / Danny Baker podcast covered this. Linkekers opinion was that it didn’t matter at any level, the captains job was to represent the club off the field and with match officials, made no difference to the performance on the pitch.

Last edited:
The England team would change from game to game, imo that's just mental. A manager will pick players he trusts and who has done well for him, see Jordan Pickford as an example. Had a real dodgy spell for Everton but has never let England down.
Exactly the whole point on a team is develop a system and structure to try and be successful.

If you just picked players purely on recent form you would have 5 changes each game!!
fair comment, I suppose the point I’m trying to make, but badly is that he’s not in form, so expecting a centre forward who is not in form to turn a game which is generating nothing in or around the box is wishful thinking at best.

Gary Linker / Danny Baker podcast covered this. Linkekers opinion was that it didn’t matter at any level, the captains job was to represent the club off the field and with match officials, made no difference to the performance on the pitch.
Yeah totally agree with that should have said irrelevant who the captain is full stop

Last edited:

Back