Hamilton the musical

Refreshing attitude these days. Most just come on and say “shite”

The only musical thing I've enjoyed was The Greatest Showman which I thought was phenomenal.

It may be that this was on stage so didn't keep me engaged enough.
One of my daughters(no) who is heavily into musicals didn't like it as much as the others - and she has seen it live but doesn't get the hype. As I said I enjoyed it more than I thought.
Great story though, I'll watch it again in movie format haha

The kids have been watching Moana (Disney cartoon film, not the worst) 24 hours a day recently so I’ve been Googling the songs. Realised that Lin Manual Miranda wrote them so did some research on Hamilton and decided to take the plunge and watch it. Really enjoyed it and it feels it would get better with repeat viewings. The wordplay is fantastic. Love that the premise is trying to tell the story of America then with the people of America today, and of course I know feck all about American history. Hamilton is buried in Trinity Church near Wall St in Manhattan and I probably walked past his grave loads without realising the significance.

Took me a while to realised Miranda was also Lee Scoresby in His Dark Materials. It was bugging me for ages. Very talented guy.

Last edited:
It is shite.
Agreed.

I've niver seen it either.
The kids have been watching Moana (Disney cartoon film, not the worst) 24 hours a day recently so I’ve been Googling the songs. Realised that Lin Manual Miranda wrote them so did some research on Hamilton and decided to take the plunge and watch it. Really enjoyed it and it feels it would get better with repeat viewings. The wordplay is fantastic. Love that the premise is trying to tell the story of America then with the people of America today, and of course I know feck all about American history. Hamilton is buried in Trinity Church near Wall St in Manhattan and I probably walked past his grave loads without realising the significance.

Took me a while to realised Miranda was also Lee Scoresby in His Dark Materials. It was bugging me for ages. Very talented guy.
Seen him in Mary Poppins 2? He's fuckin' awful. It's pretty irrational but I cannot stand the bloke. :lol:

I had no fancy for Hamilton at all, but was looking for something to watch one night and decided to stick the first few mins on just to see what it was like.
I was fully expecting to justify my lack of interest in it then ended up watching the whole bloody thing. Couldn't have been more wrong about it.
Moana is also class, hadn't realised he wrote the songs until recently too.

We're supposed to be going to New York in October but some of the Broadway prices are scandalous - $250 average for a Hamilton ticket - looking at around $1,000 for a night out for our family of three once you have some bait

Once the West End opens up again I'd highly recommend School of Rock too - brilliant show

If you don’t know the story of the American War of Independence and the difficulties the early Republic faced then don’t expect to have any idea about it after watching this either. The story wasn’t easy to follow at all. The craft and performances were fantastic but I don’t think it was particularly a story well told.

Of everyone who has seen it that I know, I am in the minority of one who didn’t think it was the best thing I’d ever seen. The Book of Mormon was far more enjoyable with a good bit of American history story telling in amongst the comedy.

If you don’t know the story of the American War of Independence and the difficulties the early Republic faced then don’t expect to have any idea about it after watching this either. The story wasn’t easy to follow at all. The craft and performances were fantastic but I don’t think it was particularly a story well told.

Of everyone who has seen it that I know, I am in the minority of one who didn’t think it was the best thing I’d ever seen. The Book of Mormon was far more enjoyable with a good bit of American history story telling in amongst the comedy.
I agree. It’s not the best history lesson. It is very clever with some excellent wordplay. It’s probably better if you’re an American who’s heard of him in the first place.

We're supposed to be going to New York in October but some of the Broadway prices are scandalous - $250 average for a Hamilton ticket - looking at around $1,000 for a night out for our family of three once you have some bait

Once the West End opens up again I'd highly recommend School of Rock too - brilliant show

This is on tour - coming to Sunderland and Newcastle I think

Agreed.

I've niver seen it either.

Seen him in Mary Poppins 2? He's fuckin' awful. It's pretty irrational but I cannot stand the bloke. :lol:

Don't base him on that. I've not seen it, but if you're going to get a fair measure of the man, Hamilton or In The Heights is where you want to start
This is on tour - coming to Sunderland and Newcastle I think

It'll be Sunderland I'd suspect. Not sure why it would do both

Don't base him on that. I've not seen it, but if you're going to get a fair measure of the man, Hamilton or In The Heights is where you want to start

It'll be Sunderland I'd suspect. Not sure why it would do both
There's no way on God's green earth I'm watching Hamilton.

I din't like him in that Dust programme neither. He's walking pain in the arse.

Back