Gooch as a Striker

His best position is as a right back or right wing back. It limits his options on the ball which covers his poor decision making. He's quick and powerful and was getting better and better as a one on one defender towards the end of the season. I would like to think that's where he'll be used.

Just watching the re-run of the 21 Pizza Cup final and Gooch has just scored. Got me thinking about why we’ve never used Gooch as a number 9. I think he could do a job playing off Stewart - works hard, good runs off the ball and a good finisher. Would also stop him operating on the wing and having to take players on only to cut back. Worth a try in pre-season if we haven’t managed to get another striker in?

His best attribute is his crossing coming from deep, so I would say know

I don't think he's a good enough finisher , we don't take enough shots or half chances imo
A good striker is ruthless and wants more goals than touches
He might have it in him but I sense him not knowing when to shoot and when to.

Do the people who are saying he's a good right back not notice his defending ? Wing back, fair enough, there's a bit of cover but he's shit at defending.

Barnes reckons that Gooch sees himself as a centre forward.

Just watching the re-run of the 21 Pizza Cup final and Gooch has just scored. Got me thinking about why we’ve never used Gooch as a number 9. I think he could do a job playing off Stewart - works hard, good runs off the ball and a good finisher. Would also stop him operating on the wing and having to take players on only to cut back. Worth a try in pre-season if we haven’t managed to get another striker in?
It never makes sense to me, because you would think players are capable of changing how the move on the pitch. But a lot of them can't, it's just their instinct. Anyway, so Gooch doesn't run off the shoulder and in behind defenders. Not really, though of course that pizza goal he does that perfectly. His first instinct, when on wing and generally is to come towards the ball, to pick up pockets of space in between the lines. This is fine, plenty of strikers do this, but in truth he isn't anywhere near good enough to hold the ball up versus centre backs which is why he has ended up on the wing doing it against full backs.

That's my theory anyway, but I agree, he's a decent finisher.

Last edited:
It never makes sense to me, because you would think players are capable of changing how the move on the pitch. But a lot of them can't, it's just their instinct. Anyway, so Gooch doesn't run off the shoulder and in behind defenders. Not really, though of course that pizza goal he does that perfectly. His first instinct, when on wing and generally is to come towards the ball, to pick up pockets of space in between the lines. This is fine, plenty of strikers do this, but in truth he isn't anywhere near good enough to hold the ball up versus centre backs which is why he has ended up on the wing doing it against full backs.

That's my theory anyway, but I agree, he's a decent finisher.
I'm about with you on this ,love the lad but we're needing a step up and he's gone from a promising prospect to knowing what he can give and its not a massive jump to me

Do the people who are saying he's a good right back not notice his defending ? Wing back, fair enough, there's a bit of cover but he's shit at defending.

Barnes reckons that Gooch sees himself as a centre forward.
His defending has been fine under Neil and noticeably improved as the season went on.

Think if he fell over waving his arms after tackle from hairy arsed CH the ref may just utter " get the fuck up ya daft twat" . So nowt changed there.

Back