Gooch as a Striker

Just watching the re-run of the 21 Pizza Cup final and Gooch has just scored. Got me thinking about why we’ve never used Gooch as a number 9. I think he could do a job playing off Stewart - works hard, good runs off the ball and a good finisher. Would also stop him operating on the wing and having to take players on only to cut back. Worth a try in pre-season if we haven’t managed to get another striker in?

Just watching the re-run of the 21 Pizza Cup final and Gooch has just scored. Got me thinking about why we’ve never used Gooch as a number 9. I think he could do a job playing off Stewart - works hard, good runs off the ball and a good finisher. Would also stop him operating on the wing and having to take players on only to cut back. Worth a try in pre-season if we haven’t managed to get another striker in?
He's greedy enough by nature but would have a lot to learn about the art of movement central

I’ve always thought he could do a job there and been surprised he hasn’t had a run there considering he’s played pretty much everywhere else. Presumably there’s a good reason for that though.

Gooch is a far more effective player when he is played as a wing back or even right back. This way he always has the licence to get forward and when he has defensive duties he is twice the player he is when his starting role is in front of the half way line. His versatility allows him to play this role on either flank also....we need to leave him where he is

I think he was a striker at junior level in the US, we converted him into an attacking mid and eventually a winger, now a fullback. :lol:

Poor lad.

Number 10 maybe.. I can see that but not number 9.. semantics I know but the 2 roles are very different and we already have good options at 10.
Getting bloody ridiculous now .
Why don't we use him as a substitute keeper.
Hands are too small

I think thats where he was a lot of the time as a youth, but hasnt really done anthing there as a professional.

Back