Gooch as a Striker

His best performances for us were when on the left of a front 3 under Parkinson, with Wyke dropping off to give Gooch space to move into. It limited the amount of time he had on the ball so he didn't have time to dwell and overthink and meant his first touches had to be effective. He's at his worst when he has time on the ball and has to think about what he needs to do.

I think that's why he does well at right back too, he physically can't do everything from there so has to play in bursts rather than on the wing where he has the time to beat his man over and over.

Absolutely no way could be play as a central striker leading the line though.

He’s shite that’s why. God knows why we are giving deadwood new contracts. Should have been a Shrewsbury player in January let alone playing CF for us in the division above

Just watching the re-run of the 21 Pizza Cup final and Gooch has just scored. Got me thinking about why we’ve never used Gooch as a number 9. I think he could do a job playing off Stewart - works hard, good runs off the ball and a good finisher. Would also stop him operating on the wing and having to take players on only to cut back. Worth a try in pre-season if we haven’t managed to get another striker in?
Perhaps we could encourage him to drive the team bus and cut up the half-time oranges too ?

I always thought he played well when played centrally as he's not afraid to use either foot. I remember him playing very well in that role against Boro in the early days of his career, not really played there much since.

Just watching the re-run of the 21 Pizza Cup final and Gooch has just scored. Got me thinking about why we’ve never used Gooch as a number 9. I think he could do a job playing off Stewart - works hard, good runs off the ball and a good finisher. Would also stop him operating on the wing and having to take players on only to cut back. Worth a try in pre-season if we haven’t managed to get another striker in?
Are you round the bend.? Gooch will struggle big time this year he should of moved when he had the chance.

Gooch is a far more effective player when he is played as a wing back or even right back. This way he always has the licence to get forward and when he has defensive duties he is twice the player he is when his starting role is in front of the half way line. His versatility allows him to play this role on either flank also....we need to leave him where he is
This

I wouldn’t recommend trying to play him there, but was aware he had played up front ages back. I did think last season when defoe left, what if stewart snd broadhead were both injured? Who would play up front? And came to the conclusion that in an emergency situation it would have to be Gooch or Dejaku.

Gooch has a decent balance between attacking and defensive abilities. Imo his optimum position is RWB.

Didn't we give him a chance playing alongside Wyke when Parkinson was in charge a couple of seasons ago, but it did not work very well. He was detached from the striker more often than not and was knocked off the ball far to easy. Can't remember what games it was.

Back